Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2018-19 | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Toews competition isn't Sbisa. Toews isn't coming up until he can get a regular shift. He isn't coming up to sit on the bench. One of Leddy, Hickey or Pelech needs to go first. Lou wants to see if Leddy can turn his game around under Trotz and if Pelech can develop under Trotz. They need more than 17 games to make those decisions. Toews will be up soon enough.

Yep, Toews has to beat out Mayfield, Hickey or Pelech. LL and co. don’t think he’s ready for that yet.

I say the next benching of a regular D man, bring him up for a game or two, go from there.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I wanna see Toews up too, but i am ok with Trotz' decisions. success is the ultimate indicator. give the vets the 1st kick at the can, for sure. be firm but fair, and it will be fertile ground for player development.

i am not a fan of Hickey on the PK, but Trotz keeps putting him out there. maybe Trotz is giving Hickey a chance, like a good coach would? let the players' play dictate his decisions? certainly not a novel idea, but one that i can get behind, 100%.

good to see Beau bust out. i would love to see Trotz work his magic with MDC. Flip and Leo are gold. Nelson has been really good, so much that i think i want to keep him now. Kuhnhackl is like a Lee light? his willingness to go to the dirty areas/hard work, has fit well with Nelson and Eberle.

so far, so good. let's keep it rolling.

LGI!!

Last edited:

scott99

May 13, 2005
Both Jenkins and Wilde continue to lead by example
Wilde GP-14 G-3 A-14 Pt-17
Jenkins GP-19 G-7 A-10 Pt-17
Both are developing due to an abundance of TOI. They are also big strong young men that want to make it to the next level.
Nice to see this. Jenkins was highly regarded as a 15 year old, nice to see it coming to fruition.

I'm very happy with Wilde's progress so far. Extremely talented Dman.

Reactions: Finster8

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Nice to see this. Jenkins was highly regarded as a 15 year old, nice to see it coming to fruition.

I'm very happy with Wilde's progress so far. Extremely talented Dman.

Wilde's is doing well and I think a lot of teams will regret letting him slide. Pulock, Dobson and Wilde will make for a stacked right D in a few years. Nice problem to have.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
He’s almost 25 and has played the last 3 seasons at a high level in the AHL. He was hurt a lot and missed time last year but he’s not a 21 year old who’s in the first year of pro hockey.

It’s not just 17 games.

I won’t pretend to know more than Lou but I certainly think it makes more sense to have Toews in the NHL playing over a journeyman like Sbisa
Sbisa isn’t playing though I much rather him be the 7th defenseman than Toews as Toews is still better off playing every night. Toews will be here soon enough but I think it’s at expense of Pelech.

Reactions: doublechili

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I think Lou’s mind is made up. Made up in the sense that he won’t dip into the bridge until after like Christmas (like 40 games mark) unless injuries force his hand.

I think in Lou’s mind, proper development is calling up your rookies with less than half the season left so there’s less chance they burn out, but having them get enough experience so that they can build off their stint in the offseason and be ready to be full time NHLers starting the following season.

It takes a special kind of player (i.e. Barzal) to survive a full NHL season their first go-around, which is why he’s not willing to do it with Bellows/Dal Colle/Ho-Sang/Toews/etc.
Perhaps I think too Lou is making these kids earn the spot, MDC earned shot and he is the first call up when injury strikes. Toews will be first defenseman up when injury strikes or someone gets moved.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Sbisa isn’t playing though I much rather him be the 7th defenseman than Toews as Toews is still better off playing every night. Toews will be here soon enough but I think it’s at expense of Pelech.

I’m not saying Sbisa owns his spot in the top6. In saying in the case of injury or scratching a guy why not call up Toews and and give him some NHL action? Let him get his feet wet. Now is the year to do it. I believe he has to go through waivers next year. Let’s get some NHL film on him.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I’m not saying Sbisa owns his spot in the top6. In saying in the case of injury or scratching a guy why not call up Toews and and give him some NHL action? Let him get his feet wet. Now is the year to do it. I believe he has to go through waivers next year. Let’s get some NHL film on him.
They probably don’t want him up and down I’m sure it’s in top 6 or Ahl still for him.

WinhallVT124

Head on a swivel
Mar 6, 2015
Winhall,VT
I blame Jerry York for Wahlstrom's struggles. He has won in the past, but is an anti-NHL prospect type of coach. He'd rather give a 5'6 senior nobody more ice time than a top freshman prospect. If I'm LL I would pull him out of there and get him to Cape Breton (believe they have his CHL rights) or get him to Bridgeport if he's eligible. York and BC aren't a good NHL development program compared to Denver, North Dakota or Notre Dame.

FREE WAHLSTROM!!!

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
I blame Jerry York for Wahlstrom's struggles. He has won in the past, but is an anti-NHL prospect type of coach. He'd rather give a 5'6 senior nobody more ice time than a top freshman prospect. If I'm LL I would pull him out of there and get him to Cape Breton (believe they have his CHL rights) or get him to Bridgeport if he's eligible. York and BC aren't a good NHL development program compared to Denver, North Dakota or Notre Dame.

FREE WAHLSTROM!!!

Is it really lack of opportunity? Walhstrom leads BC in shots. It is not unfamiliar for NCAA players from the USDNTP to struggle out of the gate, a completely different league. Let's have some patience here.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Is it really lack of opportunity? Walhstrom leads BC in shots. It is not unfamiliar for NCAA players from the USDNTP to struggle out of the gate, a completely different league. Let's have some patience here.
I only watched game last night but he seemed to be playing a lot, power play time etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->