Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2018-19 | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
Injured? Didn't see him in the 3rd, nor on the ice for the postgame ceremony.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think Bouchard shows a ton of potential as well, however at this age it shows a lot when a defenseman has a complete game rather than a total offensive game. It reminds me of when Pulock was drafted his defense was bad, except he played forward is entire life so that was a pretty good excuse. What is the excuse with Bouchard?

It's funny you mention Pulock as I was just thinking of him when watching Dobson make good decision after good decision last night. No panic, took hits to make the play, always seemed to be in the right position. Jumped up in the play and made himself an option offensively. Under Trotz, Pulock is becoming a rock solid guy in his own zone and is handling top pairing minutes and role. While the WJC is a different level of competition, Dobson looked like Pulock has lately. I mean that in the best way possible.

Dobson's mobility makes me giddy though and he is a much better skater than Pulock. His stride is so smooth and efficient, nice edgework too. Long reach and defends the line with a very active stick. He's not getting a chance to show off his offensive ability in his current role so you definitely get the impression there is more to his game if given a chance.

I loved this kid before we drafted him, I love him more now.

As for Bouchard, he looks like he has no interest playing defense. I never got that impression from Pulock even in the early days. You can improve if you work on it and commit as we've seen. I don't know if indifference is curable. He is gifted offensively for sure, he should convert to forward if he continues to not give a shit in his own end. No sense or urgency, no effort. Floats until someone else wins a battle and gets the puck, then all of a sudden he awakes from his slumber.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Injured? Didn't see him in the 3rd, nor on the ice for the postgame ceremony.
He appears to have left the game due to illness or minor injury. He played only 7:46 last night, hoping that everything is fine and that he will be ready for the next game.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
It's funny you mention Pulock as I was just thinking of him when watching Dobson make good decision after good decision last night. No panic, took hits to make the play, always seemed to be in the right position. Jumped up in the play and made himself an option offensively. Under Trotz, Pulock is becoming a rock solid guy in his own zone and is handling top pairing minutes and role. While the WJC is a different level of competition, Dobson looked like Pulock has lately. I mean that in the best way possible.

Dobson's mobility makes me giddy though and he is a much better skater than Pulock. His stride is so smooth and efficient, nice edgework too. Long reach and defends the line with a very active stick. He's not getting a chance to show off his offensive ability in his current role so you definitely get the impression there is more to his game if given a chance.

As for Bouchard, he looks like he has no interest playing defense. I never got that impression from Pulock even in the early days. You can improve if you work on it and commit as we've seen. I don't know if indifference is curable. He is gifted offensively for sure, he should convert to forward if he continues to not give a **** in his own end. No sense or urgency, no effort. Floats until someone else wins a battle and gets the puck, then all of a sudden he awakes from his slumber.

My main worry about Dobson is he needs to put on some weight. Which for an eighteen year old that is pretty good for a main worry.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I think Dobson is still 2-3 years away... another year to dominate Jr followed by a year to acclimate to the pro game in Bridgeport. The good news is with Pulock and Toews emergence and resurgence of Leddy/Boychuk, time is on the Isles side. Dobsons development will be where Toews/Pulock is just in time to replace Boychuk.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Kostin hasn't been lighting up the AHL for the Blues, but I like the way he plays the game of hockey. I'm not sure if his talent will translate to the NHL, but he has that battle level we commonly used to hear about.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

As for Bouchard, he looks like he has no interest playing defense. I never got that impression from Pulock even in the early days. You can improve if you work on it and commit as we've seen. I don't know if indifference is curable. He is gifted offensively for sure, he should convert to forward if he continues to not give a **** in his own end. No sense or urgency, no effort. Floats until someone else wins a battle and gets the puck, then all of a sudden he awakes from his slumber.

Biggest issue for me with Bouchard isn't even his defense, but his skating. In today's NHL, you can't even be a one-dimensional offensive defenseman in the league without wheels. Look at a guy like Mike Green. He was always iffy defensively, soft as hell, etc. But the dude could skate, and so he was able to succeed at the NHL level. Even a guy like Shattenkirk, while not fast, isn't sloooow.

Reactions: SI90 and PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Biggest issue for me with Bouchard isn't even his defense, but his skating. In today's NHL, you can't even be a one-dimensional offensive defenseman in the league without wheels. Look at a guy like Mike Green. He was always iffy defensively, soft as hell, etc. But the dude could skate, and so he was able to succeed at the NHL level. Even a guy like Shattenkirk, while not fast, isn't sloooow.

If you look at Bouchard's skating when he is on the offensive, it's not bad. Decent power in his stride. His skating issues lie in his poor 4-way mobility, couple that with indifference then I just can't trust him in the defensive zone.

Pulock has improved a ton, but I think he was very similar to Bouchard in his draft year. Pulock actually seemed to give a shit trying to play defense though, he's come a long way. Bouchard just looks stoned out there. I can't help and think of Ryan Murphy watching the WJC.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
If you look at Bouchard's skating when he is on the offensive, it's not bad. Decent power in his stride. His skating issues lie in his poor 4-way mobility, couple that with indifference then I just can't trust him in the defensive zone.

Pulock has improved a ton, but I think he was very similar to Bouchard in his draft year. Pulock actually seemed to give a **** trying to play defense though, he's come a long way. Bouchard just looks stoned out there. I can't help and think of Ryan Murphy watching the WJC.

Funny you bring up Ryan Murphy because whenever I watch Bouchard play (while I do think his potential is higher) he reminds me a lot of Ryan Murphy.

Although to be fair I always wondered how Murphy would have developed had he went to an organization that had a little bit more of a history in developing talent. He always did great in the AHL scoring wise, but had trouble translating that to the NHL.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Funny you bring up Ryan Murphy because whenever I watch Bouchard play (while I do think his potential is higher) he reminds me a lot of Ryan Murphy.

Although to be fair I always wondered how Murphy would have developed had he went to an organization that had a little bit more of a history in developing talent. He always did great in the AHL scoring wise, but had trouble translating that to the NHL.

There was a group of posters that swore Murphy was going to be a god and wanted him badly. That talk scared the crap out of me.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I wonder how Merkely will turn out. He did get drafted y a team with notable player development.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
There was a group of posters that swore Murphy was going to be a god and wanted him badly. That talk scared the crap out of me.

One poster in particular (not an Isles fan, and switched usernames multiple times since then) was high on Murphy to a ridiculous degree. Made it sound like his FLOOR was a second pairing offensive stud.

Usually referenced Ryan Ellis, and how Murphy had everything Ellis did but superior skating. I don't know what he was watching. In junior, Ellis was flat out dominant; unbelievable vision, high IQ, and surprisingly good defense for a guy that small. Murphy was just a speedy kid with some good offensive tools, but questionable decision making and zero defensive game.

I had a few run-ins with him because I'd thought Scott Harrington (then a Pens' prospect) had a better chance of being a full time NHLer, even if Harrington's offense wasn't as good. Even though Harrington's not become a regular top four guy, he's at least carved out a career as a #6/7 in the NHL. Murphy will probably be starring in some German league soon, if he isn't already.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I admit, being a big Landeskog fan I watched the K. Rangers alot that year, and I thought Murphy would be legit as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->