Post-Game Talk: Islanders @ RANGERS 1/13

3 Stars

• Total voters

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
So its purely a coincidence that they are both having a career year?

Not IMO. I think its possible to say that it would not be impossible to replace Strome's support for Panarin while Panarin probably is the only one in the universe that can help Strome as much as he does. But that doesn't mean that its not a two-way street. Strome is a really good fit next to Panarin. Strome isn't good at skating the puck up ice and Panarin is extremely good there. But Strome is good around the net, fairly strong on the puck, has a solid RHS, and so forth.

I think that Ryan Strome has the same issues -- not worse though -- as Kyle Turris and Derek Stepan have, and a few others in their mold. They aren't strong at all individually, skating the puck up ice, dominating other players physically, stickhandling, they don't have the extremely good vision etc. As a result, their production can fluctuate a lot, and its possible that they can look like really valuable players when things are going their way, and be very frustrating to watch when things aren't.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Really hope games like this don't fool management into thinking this is a playoff team. If we don't sell off at the deadline, or, god forbid, if we buy, heads should roll.
I do t wanna be a Debbie downer after a good win against such a rival but this team is so young that I see more bad games down the stretch than good.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
3 on 1 and he ends up taking the puck behind the net. There's really no spin doctoring that. It doesn't compute in any pro league let alone the NHL
He was 'outwaiting' the D hoping he'd over-commit to him like on a slowly developing 2 on 1, except on a 3-1 you need dictate play and don't wait for it to come to you. A quick pass to the middle guy as soon as he broke into the zone, who likely gives it right back to him and takes the D off his angle, all of a sudden there's room to shoot, get a pass across the crease etc. Hanging on to the puck on a 3 on 1 waiting for the seam to develop is a rookie mistake. He'll do better next time.

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
I do t wanna be a Debbie downer after a good win against such a rival but this team is so young that I see more bad games down the stretch than good.

I like that the play offs are in their grasp. I don't have any expectations with this team this year. In fact, if anything, they've exceeded what I expected coming in to this season already. However, having that proverbial carrot on a stick is exciting. It'll be interesting how they further come together down the stretch. On one hand, a chance at a higher draft pick would be awesome, but I'd love for these kids to get a taste of the play offs purely for their experience and growth.

Reactions: egelband

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
He was 'outwaiting' the D hoping he'd over-commit to him like on a slowly developing 2 on 1, except on a 3-1 you need dictate play and don't wait for it to come to you. A quick pass to the middle guy as soon as he broke into the zone, who likely gives it right back to him and takes the D off his angle, all of a sudden there's room to shoot, get a pass across the crease etc. Hanging on to the puck on a 3 on 1 waiting for the seam to develop is a rookie mistake. He'll do better next time.
Amen to this. The point with odd man rushes is to make the defenders (including the goalie) adjust. Even for a millisecond.

He could’ve done what u suggested or tap passed right back as well. The whole play would’ve been vastly different in either case. He hesitated and it was over before it started

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband and romba

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I'm gonna hold you to this, ok?

Reactions: romba and nyrleetch

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Thursday 's game is at Barclays right? Enjoy this win. Thursday is an auto loss in that damn building.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
It's definitely going to be an interesting deadline. I don't see them buying, but I can easily see them holding on to Kreider. He's a big character guy and has come on recently. Guess it all depends on what's offered in return. He isn't having the greatest season so maybe he'll take a bit of a discount and we can lock him up at around 5 - 5.5 million per. Despite all of the frustrations with him there are some elements of his game that won't be easily to replace.

Whatever happens, Buch should be traded. It's not that I don't like what he brings, but I think he needs a fresh start somewhere else where there isn't as much pressure. You can tell he's been living in his head the past month or two... seems to be overthinking everything and being too hard on himself

We're definitely at a strange place right now. We've hung in there with (and in some case even embarrassed) some really good teams but the game to game consistency is still severely lacking. Will be curious to see if some players fall back to earth the second half or are able to maintain their effectiveness/continue to get better. I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make the decisions

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Amen to this. The point with odd man rushes is to make the defenders (including the goalie) adjust. Even for a millisecond.

He could’ve done what u suggested or tap passed right back as well. The whole play would’ve been vastly different in either case. He hesitated and it was o we before it started

That's really Kakko's big problem right now, he hesitates over and over, no confidence in what to do next with the puck. He'll get the puck, go for a walk with it all around the zone, and then hesitate and can't decide whether to shoot it or pass it and then the opportunity for either passes. It seems partly confidence and partly learning the NHL pace, but duuuuuuuude seriously just shoot the damn puck. No one's gonna kill you for shooting the puck, just put it on net. Start simple and build on that instead of always looking for the perfect play when you're 18 years old

Reactions: romba

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
That's really Kakko's big problem right now, he hesitates over and over, no confidence in what to do next with the puck. He'll get the puck, go for a walk with it all around the zone, and then hesitate and can't decide whether to shoot it or pass it and then the opportunity for either passes. It seems partly confidence and partly learning the NHL pace, but duuuuuuuude seriously just shoot the damn puck. No one's gonna kill you for shooting the puck, just put it on net. Start simple and build on that instead of always looking for the perfect play when you're 18 years old
He's been shooting it into defenders shins and skates after he waits and waits and waits. He just needs to decide quickly, whatever it is. Like you said though, when in doubt, get it to the net (or deep), just make sure to do it before the dust settles from last year's drought

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
He's been shooting it into defenders shins and skates after he waits and waits and waits. He just needs to decide quickly, whatever it is. Like you said though, when in doubt, get it to the net (or deep), just make sure to do it before the dust settles from last year's drought

Yup, he waits too long and then there's no pass and no shooting lane. Gotta be more decisive

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
69200316_164825114641306_2659510803997902821_n.jpg

That's a double Donnie
I've always wondered is this your dog?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad