Post-Game Talk: Islanders @ RANGERS 1/13

3 Stars

• Total voters

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
On the 3-1 the proper play was for Kakko to touch pass that back but if u hesitate for 1 millionth of a second u can’t do it.
That’s what he did. Then he held it for a millionth of a second. Then held it more. Then he didn’t shoot. He painted himself into a corner.
I hear you. But he does it a lot. The painting himself in a corner

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
3 on 1 and he ends up taking the puck behind the net. There's really no spin doctoring that. It doesn't compute in any pro league let alone the NHL
It’s not spin doctoring anything. It’s the truth. He screwed the pooch there but the other plays weren’t as blatant.
We have the luxury of watching from overhead. I would’ve touch passed right back but I’m watching on TV like u.

Ridiculous expectations will give u high BP and causes hair loss. U have been warned

Reactions: will1066

BreadKick

Feb 7, 2016
I really wish Panarin was comfortable speaking English to the press. He seems like a great character. Heck Kravstov spoke to reporters during training camp without a translator.:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm: no excuse he's been in the NHL for a while already lmfao JK

Each time he is asked about this he feels guilty a little bit and making excuses that during the season ALL his time is dedicated either to Hockey or to couch. I just understood he just have no more time (and wish?) to do anything else... In last (?) interview he said he had not seen much of New York yet and you can do this only if you come one month before the season. Right now one of the biggest difference for him (on NY) is that here (unlike Columbus) much to his excitement are lots of restaurants for any taste and you can go to different one any time you want.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
It’s not spin doctoring anything. It’s the truth. He screwed the pooch there but the other plays weren’t as blatant.
We have the luxury of watching from overhead. I would’ve touch passed right back but I’m watching on TV like u.

Ridiculous expectations will give u high BP and causes hair loss. U have been warned
Haha. I don't get worked up really. There's a reasonable expectation to have the puck at least go toward the net on a 3 on 1. If it goes wide or gets blocked, ok. But it's got to go at least. Anyway, that's all from me about this.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
These are the types of games that can be huge momentum shifters for a young team, and I really hope they can build on it. They did everything that was required of them to win this game, from being physical and sticking up to the Isles shenanigans to utilizing their speed to break through the Isles structure.

I think it's also important to give a lot of credit to Skjei-Trouba and Lindgren-Fox tonight. Those two pairings made some great plays to clear bodies near the net, and the forwards did an exceptional job of backchecking hard and tying up loose sticks in the slot. It seems like they're finally take hold of that fast, physical, relentless mentality, and I think we're finally starting to see the core group for the next 5-7 years form. I think they're still a couple of pieces away, but I do think this will shape up to be a fun second half of the season.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
These are the types of games that can be huge momentum shifters for a young team, and I really hope they can build on it. They did everything that was required of them to win this game, from being physical and sticking up to the Isles shenanigans to utilizing their speed to break through the Isles structure.

I think it's also important to give a lot of credit to Skjei-Trouba and Lindgren-Fox tonight. Those two pairings made some great plays to clear bodies near the net, and the forwards did an exceptional job of backchecking hard and tying up loose sticks in the slot. It seems like they're finally take hold of that fast, physical, relentless mentality, and I think we're finally starting to see the core group for the next 5-7 years form. I think they're still a couple of pieces away, but I do think this will shape up to be a fun second half of the season.
Staal great lift of Eberle's stick on the power play. Sure goal otherwise.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Couple of quick observations after tonight and it's pretty much all about Panarin:

Tonight might have been the most enjoyable win of the year especially because it came against the Islanders, the team I've hated the most in my almost 50 years being a Ranger fan...feels real good!

Panarin I'm slowly but surely coming around to saying he is the most talented forward in Rangers history. And yes that means Ratelle, Messier and Jagr. He was simply phenomenal tonight in what is looking very much like the greatest single season a Ranger has ever had in their long history.

I think I can count on one hand the times I haven't voted for him as one of the top 3 stars in any game he's played as a Ranger...that's how consistently good he's been.

More Panarin...I kept thinking this during the game and I believe I mentioned it on the Game Day thread, just as important as it is that we have Bread for the next 7 years, it's equally important maybe more so that the Islanders don't have him for the next 7 years.

If you think about it, Panarin is exactly what that team needed heading into this year. And had he signed with them, I'm firmly convinced that they'd be the favorite for the Cup. Seriously, can you imagine how good that team would be if they had a superstar offensive threat like him? It's scary to think about actually!!

So thank the good lord Breadman passed up more money from the Philes and decided on us cause it would have been awfully depressing to watch how good that team on the Island would have been and them very likely winning a Cup or two all the while we are still in rebuild mode if Panarin had signed with them....:nod:

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I missed the game due to work, but read early on in the GDT that Panarin was having a game to be "concerned" about and looking slow at making decisions.

Guess he turned it around.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Panarin has to be in the discussion as the best player in the league. He plays with a 3rd liner and a former high draft pick that never lived up to the hype.

3rd in points and points per game. He elevates every player he plays with.

Might go down as the best UFA signing ever.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
The only thing I hate about Panarin is that he wasn't with the Rangers in the early 2010s when they were cup contenders. Truly a tremendous player.

Yeah I agree, that was the one thing those solid Ranger playoff teams was missing...a true difference maker like Panarin who could rise to the occasion in a big spot and score a game winning goal.

Don't get me wrong, we always had good players like the Richards, St.Louis's, Nash's...etc but none of those players were GREAT players who could scare the shit out of our opponents who needed to gameplan for them.

Sure a few of those players I mentioned scored some big goals for us but one would think Panarin on those teams would have sniped a goal or set someone up in a big spot instead of hitting the post in a big spot like a Rick Nash for example seemingly did on way too many occasions that we all unfortunately remember way to vividly...lol

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Can somebody explain why some overgrown freak was allowed to attack ADA and the refs not only failed to separate them but gave Rangers extra penalties? And why when same freak was fighting Haley the refs decided to save the freak as soon as Haley was about to beat him down after pulling the freak's sweater over his head?

Reactions: egelband

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Yeah I agree, that was the one thing those solid Ranger playoff teams was missing...a true difference maker like Panarin who could rise to the occasion in a big spot and score a game winning goal.

Don't get me wrong, we always had good players like the Richards, St.Louis's, Nash's...etc but none of those players were GREAT players who could scare the **** out of our opponents who needed to gameplan for them.

Sure a few of those players I mentioned scored some big goals for us but one would think Panarin on those teams would have sniped a goal or set someone up in a big spot instead of hitting the post in a big spot like a Rick Nash for example seemingly did on way too many occasions that we all unfortunately remember way to vividly...lol

Richards was a playoff performer at times here as well as Tampa 15 pts in 20 games in 2012 playoffs with NYR. Showed up more than Nash ever did in the playoffs and when it mattered

Reactions: NYRangers16

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Richards was a playoff performer at times here as well as Tampa 15 pts in 20 games in 2012 playoffs with NYR. Showed up more than Nash ever did in the playoffs and when it mattered

I said Richards scored some big goals for us. Nash hit the post more than any player I can ever recall come playoff time. Both of them are examples of "good" players who played for us in the playoffs.

Panarin I suspect will be more than just a good player come playoff time and if his performances with Columbus the past few years is any indication of what he'll do with us once we eventually make the playoffs again(thinking next year), one would think he'll be a "great" playoff performer.

Looking forward to the day we find out....:)

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Don't think he'll be on the team.

Man I tell ya, the Chris Kreider of the past 6 weeks is someone I don't want to say good bye too....I just don't. I really wish there was some way we could keep him for a team friendly term which I know won't happen but still....

This might be the best stretch of hockey I can ever recall from him as he's certainly made himself by far THE most attractive trade target on the market for any team who is looking to make a bigtime playoff push as his style of play can fit in with anyone.

I dunno how we are going to replace him in the lineup as his combination of speed and physicality is rare indeed and as a bonus he does shit no one currently on the team comes even close to doing in front of the opposition goal crease.

I guess I'll feel a bit better if Gorton can get a #1 pick and another good piece(maybe a return like we got for Stepan/Ranta with the #7 and Tony D or Hayes last year when we got the #20 and Lemieux) but until that happens I guess all we can do is continue to enjoy watching the Kreider we all knew he could be but now he's doing it on a much more consistent basis.

No one should kid themselves...Kreider will be missed no question about it!!

Reactions: nyrage and egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Man I tell ya, the Chris Kreider of the past 6 weeks is someone I don't want to say good bye too....I just don't. I really wish there was some way we could keep him for a team friendly term which I know won't happen but still....

This might be the best stretch of hockey I can ever recall from him as he's certainly made himself by far THE most attractive trade target on the market for any team who is looking to make a bigtime playoff push as his style of play can fit in with anyone.

I dunno how we are going to replace him in the lineup as his combination of speed and physicality is rare indeed and as a bonus he does **** no one currently on the team comes even close to doing in front of the opposition goal crease.

I guess I'll feel a bit better if Gorton can get a #1 pick and another good piece(maybe a return like we got for Stepan/Ranta with the #7 and Tony D or Hayes last year when we got the #20 and Lemieux) but until that happens I guess all we can do is continue to enjoy watching the Kreider we all knew he could be but now he's doing it on a much more consistent basis.

No one should kid themselves...Kreider will be missed no question about it!!
I’m hoping CK is good with a four or five year deal, the Rangers keep him and move Buch and Georgiev for a first and a a prospect or two. I know that’s very wishful thinking.
I think both Buch and Georgiev are good and on the way up but I’d prefer to keep Kreider and I like the Igor/Hank tandem a lot. And I think the Rangers could get good value for those guys.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Couple of quick observations after tonight and it's pretty much all about Panarin:

Tonight might have been the most enjoyable win of the year especially because it came against the Islanders, the team I've hated the most in my almost 50 years being a Ranger fan...feels real good!

Panarin I'm slowly but surely coming around to saying he is the most talented forward in Rangers history. And yes that means Ratelle, Messier and Jagr. He was simply phenomenal tonight in what is looking very much like the greatest single season a Ranger has ever had in their long history.

I think I can count on one hand the times I haven't voted for him as one of the top 3 stars in any game he's played as a Ranger...that's how consistently good he's been.

More Panarin...I kept thinking this during the game and I believe I mentioned it on the Game Day thread, just as important as it is that we have Bread for the next 7 years, it's equally important maybe more so that the Islanders don't have him for the next 7 years.

If you think about it, Panarin is exactly what that team needed heading into this year. And had he signed with them, I'm firmly convinced that they'd be the favorite for the Cup. Seriously, can you imagine how good that team would be if they had a superstar offensive threat like him? It's scary to think about actually!!

So thank the good lord Breadman passed up more money from the Philes and decided on us cause it would have been awfully depressing to watch how good that team on the Island would have been and them very likely winning a Cup or two all the while we are still in rebuild mode if Panarin had signed with them....:nod:

Tonight was a great night my friend. I also had similar thoughts while watching the game. Just imagine if he signed with them? ugh. What a treat it's been to watch him every game.

It was really satisfying to beat this team tonight especially with Panarin getting five points. Just a bitter reminder for their fans on what could have been.

I also hated the Islanders like Kahn hated Kirk in Star Trek 2. Then they grew kind of irrelevant, so I stopped caring about them. Unfortunately, most Islander fans grew incredibly bitter with little brother syndrome. The Rangers get all the stars. The Rangers get all the celebrities. The Rangers get all the media coverage, blah, blah ,blah.

When the Rangers made the playoffs for those recent ten years, Islanders fans would say, well the Rangers sucked because they didn't win the Cup. Last year, the Islanders make the playoffs and win one series, but get beat 4-0 in the next round and they celebrate like they won the Cup. oh, the irony.

I swear, they have the text messages pre-written for every Rangers game and wait to win to send them. Tonight it was super quiet except for 1 text. Unprovoked I get, "you'll be watching us win in April. We just need 1 top 6 forward to win it all". lol. bitter fool . You mean like Panarin? All the more satisfying.

Reactions: Maximus

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
oKtD5v0_d.jpg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad