Post-Game Talk: Islanders @ RANGERS 1/13

3 Stars

• Total voters

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Kakko lacks man strength
Kakko lacks confidence

If I didn't know any better, I'd suggest a bottle of Nugenix and a pep talk with Frank Thomas

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think folks need to lay-off Kakko a bit... yeah that 3 on 1 was brutal but on the other plays I saw a kid taking his time. Running out of space and could shoot instead, yes... but when u play up a league it’s hard to have patience. The instinct is to panic and rush because ur not used to the pace. The fact he’s taking too long is actually a good thing IMO. He’s showing no panic. That’s VERY important.

Next comes no panic AND making the right play

I agree, my comment was more an observation. He's a kid playing against men in the best league in the world, I don't expect him to be more than he currently is, just would be nice to see some more glimpses.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Isles may be in a good spot in the standings but I’d take our situation over theirs alllllll day long

They rely so heavily on their “system” and goaltending. Their roster is clearly mediocre, they straight up lack offensive talent.

The type of team that will win 45 regular season games then lose in round 1 or 2.

Rangers are not as sound but their boom is MUCH higher than the Isles. When we’re on, the other team has little chance.

Yup, my thoughts exactly. I see an average roster boosted by excellent coaching. Trotz will likely keep the Isles as s playoff contender like he did with Nashville. But, he doesn’t have the elite talent he had in Washington to make them a Cup contender.

OTOH, I think this team has a high level of skill, which will only get better:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I think folks need to lay-off Kakko a bit... yeah that 3 on 1 was brutal but on the other plays I saw a kid taking his time. Running out of space and could shoot instead, yes... but when u play up a league it’s hard to have patience. The instinct is to panic and rush because ur not used to the pace. The fact he’s taking too long is actually a good thing IMO. He’s showing no panic. That’s VERY important.

theres a lot of wanting to defer to your teammates too when you’re that young. Nick Robertson was just talking about this with his junior team. When the older guys leave you start to take ownership and stop trying to get them pucks as much.

Kakko’s involved he’s making plays. Quinn just said he was one of the better players against stl. This board has never had an 18 year old future star and it’s showing. Calm the F down people and enjoy watching him figure it out. He’ll get better and better.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Yup, my thoughts exactly. I see an average roster boosted by excellent coaching. Trotz will likely keep the Isles as s playoff contender like he did with Nashville. But, he doesn’t have the elite talent he had in Washington to make them a Cup contender.

They won't get that elite talent either because free agents want nothing to do with that franchise.

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
To be fair, I'd rather have Kakko creating chances and then flubbing them than not creating anything at all like last month. It's some sort of progress, I guess.

Reactions: Thordic

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
I'm not trading Georgiev, and sure as hell not for some midget named Bracco.
Nylander? Maybe we can talk. Otherwise, something else will have to be figured out because I'm not dealing Georgie.

I'm not mortgaging the next 9 years of a Shestyorkin/Georgiev tandem.

Henrik can have the most graceful exit in July, finish it in San Jose next year.

Reactions: leetch99

will1066

Oct 12, 2008

3 on 1 and he ends up taking the puck behind the net. There's really no spin doctoring that. It doesn't compute in any pro league let alone the NHL

Reactions: leetch99

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
3m1mog.gif
Artemi “Hansel” Panarin

will1066

Oct 12, 2008

The skill is there. Keep the freestyling down and play with some d mentality and we will be good.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
3 on 1 and he ends up taking the puck behind the net. There's really no spin doctoring that. It doesn't compute in any pro league let alone the NHL
That was a terrible play, but honestly, he tried to make a pass in a blowout. If he made that same play late in a tie game, I'd read it a little differently. Of all the things to be concerned about with Kaapo, Im not going to get too spun up on that one.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Only wish Zib could have gotten a point or 2 and Kakko would just shoot on those 2 chances. Even if they don't go in. Getting a good shot on goal can settle you down. I say this as a 1-year beer league veteran.
On the 3-1 the proper play was for Kakko to touch pass that back but if u hesitate for 1 millionth of a second u can’t do it.
That’s what he did. Then he held it for a millionth of a second. Then held it more. Then he didn’t shoot. He painted himself into a corner.

Reactions: CasusBelli and jas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad