Post-Game Talk: Islanders @ RANGERS 1/13

3 Stars

• Total voters

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Panarin has to be in the discussion as the best player in the league. He plays with a 3rd liner and a former high draft pick that never lived up to the hype. 3rd in points and points per game. He elevates every player he plays with.

There is no doubt Strome and Fast's success are due to Panarin. No doubt whatsoever. You are absolutely right. He is that good. He elevates the whole team too with his play. He hardly ever turns the puck over, and is never out of position. That kind of stuff rubs off on a team.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
One thing I noticed. Varlamov was embarrassing last night. He's been pretty good all year. It seems like every goalie we play against looks like garbage. The only goalie I can remember having a good night against us was Markstrom. Even in the Blues game, they shut us down but Binnington still let in 2 softies. Are we just getting lucky or does our play make goalies look bad? On almost every goal we score I feel like this board would lynch Lundqvist in the streets if he gave those up. Hopefully our scoring is sustainable, because I'm enjoying it.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Does anyone have any doubt that Chytil has the potential to be a 1C?
This guy is a beast. He is deceptively fast, strong and has a Marioesque way about how he plays.
He's still a baby, but he will be a force for the next 10 years.

Marioesque?

You mean because they both wear ice skates?

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Kakko should pay a visit to the AHL.
I would agree with this if the Rangers had anyone to take his minutes and do a competent job(they don't).

That's a big black mark on Gorton's record this year. He failed to insulate the forward corps in the event that some of the kids start faltering.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I would agree with this if the Rangers had anyone to take his minutes and do a competent job(they don't).

That's a big black mark on Gorton's record this year. He failed to insulate the forward corps in the event that some of the kids start faltering.
Di Giuseppe?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

It's not Gorton's fault that Kakko is playing like a borderline AHLer, unless you think he shouldn't have drafted him.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
It's not Gorton's fault that Kakko is playing like a borderline AHLer, unless you think he shouldn't have drafted him.
Nope, I agree. He needs some time in the press box or in Hartford. He's not moving his feet and frankly looks tired. He's been very disappointing in the last month or so.

Reactions: leetch99

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Kakko should pay a visit to the AHL.

Respectfully disagree tho admittedly I about 6-8 weeks ago also had thought a trip to Hartford might be just what the doctor ordered...not anymore.

After watching a Kakko pretty damn closely the past 6 weeks, I am convinced that what a Kakko needs is an intense offseason training regiment that includes power skating so that he can keep up with the pace of play and not look gassed 20-30 seconds into every shift.

He also needs to build up his upper body as he gets knocked off the puck way to easy for a 6’2 200 lb player.

I don’t think he came into camp this year in real good shape as he never really had a chance to train as all he was doing was playing in tournaments and his league play.

My opinion is both the training and the coaching staff will sit down with Kakko and put together a training regimen that will allow him to come into camp next year in much better shape and be a lot better skater.

A perfect example of this is the metamorphosis that Lemieux had over the off-season. It was evident to anyone who watched Lemieux that he was stronger and a hell of a lot faster than he was last year when we first got him from the Jets.

Oh and one other thing...Kakko is just 18...I think sometimes and I’m guilty of it myself, that he should be able to dominate at times...he isn’t ready.

Next year I think we’ll all see a new and improved Kakko. In the meantime what we see is what we get and no trip to Hartford is going to change that!

Last edited:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Respectfully disagree tho admittedly I about 6-8 weeks ago also had thought a trip to Hartford might be just what the doctor ordered...not anymore.

After watching a Kakko pretty damn closely the past 6 weeks, I am convinced that what a Kakko needs is an intense offseason training regiment that includes power skating so that he can keep up with the pace of play and not look gassed 20-30 seconds into every shift.

He also needs to build up his upper body as he gets knocked off the puck way to easy for a 6’2 200 lb player.

I don’t think he came into camp this year in real good shape as he never really had a chance to train as all he was doing was playing in tournaments and his league play.

My opinion is both the training and the coaching staff will sit down with Kakko and put together a training regimen that will allow him to come into camp next year in much better shape and be a lot better skater.

A perfect example of this is the metamorphosis that Lemieux had over the off-season. It was evident to anyone who watched Lemieux that he was stronger and a hell of a lot faster than he was last year when we first got him from the Jets.

Oh and one other thing...Kakko is just 18...I think sometimes and I’m guilty of it myself, that he should be able to dominate at times...he isn’t ready.

Next year I think we’ll all see a new and improved Kakko. In the meantime what we see is what we get and no trip to Hartford is going to change that...my .02 coppers for what they are worth.
I was with you until you said the words .02 coppers.

Reactions: Maximus

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Next year I think we’ll all see a new and improved Kakko. In the meantime what we see is what we get and no trip to Hartford is going to change that...my .02 coppers for what they are worth.

Agree with all of it except I think he would benefit from a trip down to where his game fits in better. Get him some confidence and bring him back up.

Reactions: leetch99

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Agree with all of it except I think he would benefit from a trip down to where his game fits in better. Get him some confidence and bring him back up.

It sounds reasonable your suggestion that Kakko might fit in better up in Hartford and I’d be willing to bet a lot of peeps in here agree with this line of thinking. I on the other hand am not very confident in that occurring.

Now maybe I’m on an island on this but I think Kakko would struggle even in Hartford. The players in the AHL are still plenty fast and plenty skilled. It’s not a skills issue with Kakko...it’s a “he’s not in real good hockey shape” issue.

And I just don’t think he’ll all of a sudden find things any easier for him in Hartford if he’s still gassed after 20-30 seconds, can’t keep up with his line mates and is still getting knocked off the puck as if he’s 5’8 160 lbs.

An argument can be made that if he stinks it up in Hartford like he has pretty much the entire year here in NY, this kind of move could backfire. Him being up with the big club insulates him and keeps the pressure somewhat off of him as no doubt Kakko would have a bullseye on him by opposing players and possibly goons, if he was sent to Hartford which I really don’t think will happen.

So for those reasons, I’d rather Kakko stay here in NY the rest of the way.

An off-season with whoever Lemieux’s trainer is what Kakko needs not Hartford...lol

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
It sounds reasonable your suggestion that Kakko might fit in better up in Hartford and I’d be willing to bet a lot of peeps in here agree with this line of thinking. I on the other hand am not very confident in that occurring.

Now maybe I’m on an island on this but I think Kakko would struggle even in Hartford. The players in the AHL are still plenty fast and plenty skilled. It’s not a skills issue with Kakko...it’s a “he’s not in real good hockey shape” issue.

And I just don’t think he’ll all of a sudden find things any easier for him in Hartford if he’s still gassed after 20-30 seconds, can’t keep up with his line mates and is still getting knocked off the puck as if he’s 5’8 160 lbs.

An argument can be made that if he stinks it up in Hartford like he has pretty much the entire year here in NY, this kind of move could backfire. Him being up with the big club insulates him and keeps the pressure somewhat off of him as no doubt Kakko would have a bullseye on him by opposing players and possibly goons, if he was sent to Hartford which I really don’t think will happen.

An off-season with whoever Lemieux’s trainer is what Kakko needs not Hartford...lol

He'd be 1st line, 1st PP, and get a boatload of minutes, which could only help his wind issues, if he has any. I think he would flourish down there.

He has far more pressure in MSG than he would in the XL Center.

His face is starting to resemble Buch Part Deux.

Reactions: egelband

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Marioesque?

You mean because they both wear ice skates?

I knew someone would give me shit about that reference. I just mean the way he skates. Long legs, deceptively fast.
Obviously, not the same level of skill, but its not as if Chytil doesn't have skill.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Yeah, these kids really needs time to train AND especially recover.

Definitely think it would make more sense to design a schedule for him in NY that affords him the opportunity to workout hard, recover and play games but also sitting out a few.

Everyone are of course different, but I remember when I was 16-17 y/o. You really had to search and plan ahead to get time to do heavy squats during the season. For me it wasn’t an option to hit the gym and really abuse my legs like I wanted to if I had a game the same week, would have lost way to much jump in my skating.

If we put a group of experts in a room and asked them to design a perfect scheme for developing Kaako aiming say 12 months down the road — I can guarantee that playing more than 40 games, in total, during a season wouldn’t even be on the table. The NHL plays 82 games for financial reasons only. Certainly not because it’s best for an 18 y/o.

I think that there is a notion that it’s valuable for a kid to come in and “settle down” with the schedule of the NHL. To get used to not resting etc. I am more and more thinking that thinking like that is just nonsense, there are so many “rules” and approaches like this that are treated like they are sacred. Nobody dares to change anything. The NHL as a league is without rivals and the progress is really slow without outside pressure.

I’ve called out DQ for a few things, but look at how he has used the option to scratch players. “You can’t scratch a vet”. It’s not done. NOBODY (almost) did it. Really, what was the problem? It was brilliant by DQ.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I knew someone would give me **** about that reference. I just mean the way he skates. Long legs, deceptively fast.
Obviously, not the same level of skill, but its not as if Chytil doesn't have skill.

To me, what would make someone Marioesque would be if they were huge, looked effortless, and skated smooth as silk. Chytil doesn't look anything like that to me. I should have just left it alone, though.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
To me, what would make someone Marioesque would be if they were huge, looked effortless, and skated smooth as silk. Chytil doesn't look anything like that to me. I should have just left it alone, though.
I think you took the comparison a bit too much equivalence. It was simply an observation.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
...I think that there is a notion that it’s valuable for a kid to come in and “settle down” with the schedule of the NHL. To get used to not resting etc. I am more and more thinking that thinking like that is just nonsense, there are so many “rules” and approaches like this that are treated like they are sacred. Nobody dares to change anything. The NHL as a league is without rivals and the progress is really slow without outside pressure...

A lot of sacred cows have fallen through the years. The biggest changes came when the USSR came here to play in the 70's. The Soviets played like units that frowned upon giving up the puck. Orr single-handedly changed the way the game was played. Gretzky, too. Players used to take summers off and come in fat with hangovers.

The game is totally different than when I first started following it, and almost entirely for the better, in my opinion.

I would argue that it has changed far more than the other major sports.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
He'd be 1st line, 1st PP, and get a boatload of minutes, which could only help his wind issues, if he has any. I think he would flourish down there.

He has far more pressure in MSG than he would in the XL Center.

His face is starting to resemble Buch Part Deux.

Ya see that's where we are seeing things differently with regards to Kakko. I simply don't think he's in the kind of shape to flourish anywhere this year. He has looked spent since training camp and as mentioned, he looks gassed pretty much everytime he's on the ice from my observations of him.

Sure he has these mini bursts where his skills start to show. He does his best work along the half wall on the PP but other than that, not so much going on with Kakko this year.

We can agree to disagree on this one but I just don't think Kakko could handle a boatload of minutes at Hartford...he's just not in shape to handle it. Next year is a different story but for now, what we see of Kakko is likely what we are going to get going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad