Sep 21, 2006
Earth
The Garden announcer's slip up while saying the assists on the Trouba goal:

"Filip-pop... Chytil..."

:laugh:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Got damn, we beat the team that already have won the Cup this year 6-2. Not bad!

Brilliant move by DQ to recognize that we were going to get killed by not having 4 lines against a 4 line team and sending out Smith to take Martin out of the equation.

Fast is quietly having a very strong season. Unfortunately he is probably — surely? — playing himself off the team and to a good contract, but OTOH he should fetch a good return.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Panarin is better than I ever thought he would be.

If Henrik was in net and gave up that first goal, I think it's a runaway loss. No way we come back.

Skjei is a disaster. They should have a FEMA person on standby whenever he takes a shift.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Isles may be in a good spot in the standings but I’d take our situation over theirs alllllll day long

They rely so heavily on their “system” and goaltending. Their roster is clearly mediocre, they straight up lack offensive talent.

The type of team that will win 45 regular season games then lose in round 1 or 2.

Rangers are not as sound but their boom is MUCH higher than the Isles. When we’re on, the other team has little chance.

They are basically the Rangers under Torts... except not even as good. They don't have the offense to keep up when their goaltending crumbles.

Panarin has to be in the discussion as the best player in the league. He plays with a 3rd liner and a former high draft pick that never lived up to the hype.

3rd in points and points per game. He elevates every player he plays with.

Might go down as the best UFA signing ever.

I think there is something to be said here. Is it a coincidence that Panarin and Strome are both having career years? I don't think so. I think Strome is showing what he is, a guy similar to Michael Grabner, a player who has talent but their success is almost entirely situational.

I fully expect a ton of poo to be flung my way but I think part of Panarin's overwhelming success can be credited to Strome and vice versa. They compliment each other very well.

Last edited:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I think folks need to lay-off Kakko a bit... yeah that 3 on 1 was brutal but on the other plays I saw a kid taking his time. Running out of space and could shoot instead, yes... but when u play up a league it’s hard to have patience. The instinct is to panic and rush because ur not used to the pace. The fact he’s taking too long is actually a good thing IMO. He’s showing no panic. That’s VERY important.

Next comes no panic AND making the right play
This......makes all th the sense in the world. "Take your time, do it right...we can do it baby......"

Reactions: Riche16

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Panarin with another GOAT performance but Fast was the real MVP of that game.

Games like this too, when all the focus will go to Panarin's five points, ensure that great performances from Trouba or Skjei or even Howden who had his best game in a long time, get erased when we talk about them. This team can play really well and compete for a playoff spot when they roll four lines and when the team as a whole is committed to playing more patiently on offense and more aggressively on defense (too often they have that backwards). Zibanejad has been real bad in that regard for a much of the season. He's putting up great numbers but it's obvious that Chytil is 1000% more committed to being a responsible center--great to see in Chytil, but poor form from Zibanejad.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Amazing thàt he has somewhat disappeared from the scorecard lately. Good thing in that when he gets going again it will cover whomever else isn't producing. Good teams do that stuff.
He was still creating all night and had a few chances. The difference between when teams key in on him AND Panarin is that bread is still SO F-ING good that most nights he’ll make something happen anyway

Reactions: Maximus

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
...This team can play really well and compete for a playoff spot when they roll four lines ...

You're off on this bolded part and also thinking that Zibanejad does a bad job defensively (especially in your comparison to Chytil) - way off.

Reactions: romba

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
I think we should only vote on 2 stars for each game and just assume Panarin is one.

Making the playoffs would be good for this group... The experience would mean a lot for them.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
You're off on this bolded part and also thinking that Zibanejad does a bad job defensively (especially in your comparison to Chytil) - way off.

nah, it's pretty obvious that Zibanejad isn't driving the bus defensively, and it's been glaringly so for the past few weeks. It's not that Chytil's been better defensively, necessarily -- though he mostly has -- but it's clear that he's been more committed to being a two-way player than Zibanejad lately.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I think we should only vote on 2 stars for each game and just assume Panarin is one.

Making the playoffs would be good for this group... The experience would mean a lot for them.

Funny I said something very similar in my post game comments that I think I can count on one hand the times I haven’t voted Panarin one of our top 3 stars win or lose...he’s been that good this year for us.

As far as the playoffs, I’ve said this a few times over the past few weeks....we don’t necessarily have to make the playoffs for this year to be a success and good for our kids.

Listen, I’d love to make the playoffs don’t get me wrong as we are way way past the point of getting a high draft pick.

What I’m hoping for tho at the very least and it looks like this is the more likely and realistic scenario: We hang around the playoff periphery like where we are now...5 points maybe closer to the last playoff spots and we get to play important meaningful hockey games beginning in March till the end of the year.

We do that, it will give our kids a little taste of the intensity and the feel of what life is going to like for the next decade here in NYC at MSG when the games start to mean that much more.

I’m a very happy camper if that’s the way this season turns out. Next year is when expectations for a playoff spot will begin in earnest.

For now...this season so long as the team continues to work hard, continue this exciting style of play, hang around the playoff bubble while at same time the kids keep learning and improving, I don’t see how this season isn’t a wild success even if we miss the playoffs.

Reactions: NYROrtsFan

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Did you watch the game or just pop in to make the obligatory Skjei sucks post?
I was ticked about that clown show on the first goal. I will give him a more honest evaluation from here on out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad