Post-Game Talk: Islanders 4, Penguins 1 - Was It Over When The Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I mean... people keep referencing the Bruins sweep. And let me start by giving the Islanders full credit. They've done well and are the better team. But this is worse than that. Much worse.

I know I'm talking like this is already a sweep. That's on purpose.

On one hand it isn’t because Crosby and Malkin were in their primes in 2013. On the other hand, it’s worse because this Islanders roster can’t hold a candle to that Bruins roster.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't think we can completely blame this on the players, on Sully, or on JR. This is a team effort. The players should be better than this despite the issues with the roster and/or system. Sully isn't telling them to make dumb pinches or to lose every battle. And Simon or Rust aren't causing Jake to miss-handle pucks. But overall, it just doesn't seem like JR and Sully are remotely on the same page. They aren't building the same team.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
The only series I can remember that's even close to this is the Bruins sweep in 2013. This isn't that bad - at least these aren't shutouts, and the expectations were much higher in 2013 - but it's a similar indictment of the GM and coaching staff.

I’m still shook over that series. All time low moment.

Reactions: Rossi Rat

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Pathetic

Unbelivable how the big guns are absolutely a non factor. And eith useless players combined you get this as the result.

Why are the big guns being non factors surprising?

1. The other team is faster and fully committed to its defensive structure.
2. One of the wingers on each line is pure dog crap.
3. The defense can't move the puck.
4. The coach refuses to adjust.

What the hell happened all the other times the stars tried to navigate those factors?

Nah, I'm not going to blame Sid and Geno. I'll blame them for sort of giving up, but it's clear WHY . . . they know this whole exercise is academic, because they're not being asked to make due with less . . . they're being asked to make due to ****.

Only one thing I hope turns out different this time . . . when the organization, from upper management to the GM to the coaching staff start pointing fingers at Sid and Geno to pass the buck, I hope this time, instead of saying nothing, Sid and Geno tell all of them to **** off.

Truth be told, that's the only thing that irks me now: The organization has ****** Sid and Geno over again, because they took something that worked and embraced crap-- crap ideas, crap players, crap replacements-- instead.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Lol except those two times he lost to sullivan

And last year Trotz won because the Pens literally had one healthy line.

Sid and Guentzel scored 2 ppg against Trotz last year with a better roster, how? People make too much of coaching.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I don't think we can completely blame this on the players, on Sully, or on JR. This is a team effort. The players should be better than this despite the issues with the roster and/or system. Sully isn't telling them to make dumb pinches or to lose every battle. And Simon or Rust aren't causing Jake to miss-handle pucks. But overall, it just doesn't seem like JR and Sully are remotely on the same page. They aren't building the same team.

To be fair, the same arguments were made in Bylsma's favor. It's literally the responsibility of the coaching staff to get the players to do the things they want them to do. If they aren't listening anymore, then the message is stale and needs to be changed.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
On one hand it isn’t because Crosby and Malkin were in their primes in 2013. On the other hand, it’s worse because this Islanders roster can’t hold a candle to that Bruins roster.

Yeah that's really what I mean. That plus they couldn't even lurch their way out of the first round this time. And as much as I respect the Islanders for playing and executing the exact kind of game they need to against the Penguins... let's face it... this shouldn't really be a monumental struggle, much less the verge of a sweep.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
A post said it’s depressing how far they’ve regressed in two years but

They lost Bonino, Hagelin, Cole, Sheary, Fleury, Kunitz, Daley, Kuhnhackl and Tocchett. That’s like the entire personality of those teams gone.

Kunitz was trash when he left.
People whined Kuhnhackl was a detriment.
Cole didn't get along with the coach and was railroaded out.
Sheary was whined about.
Fleury people were happy to see go.
Daley wanted too much.
Tocchet was the real huge loss here.

We got McCann, Pettersson, Bjugstad, Jake turned into a 70+ guy, Simon stepped up but still sucks, etc etc.

We really aren't as bad as people want to make it out to be. Swap Maatta in for Johnson and our defense should still be better on the ice than it has been.

Our team still plays like the forwards and defense aren't communicating. The line up is still crap with how the players are put together. We have two kids that would bring energy into this line up and they're sitting for grind them bitches down types. Which our coach purposely is using.

Our coach also didn't want to use Prow at all, Trotman instead, sat Riikola for 37 out of 74 games. I'm so f***ing tired of people so single minded in blaming JR. JR has f***ed up so much but he at least tries to fix shit.

Sullivan is so stubborn he would never admit he's f***ed up and it shows with how he uses his line up.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Sullivan's not the problem. The roster is. Has been all season.

Penguins have gotten dumber and slower while the rest of the league plays with more pace. Pens were at the forefront of playing with speed - not just physical speed, but quick and smart decisions, too - when they won the Cup. The rest of the NHL borrowed that and ran with it. The Pens lagged behind, made dumb decisions in the front office, and now they're being passed by.

Some of these players aren't bad. They're just bad fits. That's on Rutherford and the scouting staff.

In the meantime, Sullivan has to try something for Game 4. Blueger for Wilson. Maatta for Johnson. And if Ruhwedel is healthy, bring him in for Gudbransson. Maatta and Ruhwedel will provide better puck movement while sacrificing some size. At this stage, the Pens can't faster on D. They can get smarter.

McCann-Crosby-Guentzel
Rust-Malkin-Kessel
Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Blueger-Cullen-Aston-Reese

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Pettersson-Ruhwedel

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
The team is miserable. So either you think that's on the coach or Crosby Letang and Malkin are the problem.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
To be fair, the same arguments were made in Bylsma's favor. It's literally the responsibility of the coaching staff to get the players to do the things they want them to do. If they aren't listening anymore, then the message is stale and needs to be changed.
which is why I'm saying it's on all of them. He's just one part of a bunch of problems.

Reactions: Love the Penguins

treeni12

Oct 30, 2018
They need to get younger and faster. There is no other choice this is how games are played now days. Still that Johnnson signing is just mind boggeling

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad