Post-Game Talk: Islanders 4, Penguins 1 - Was It Over When The Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Penguins were 19th in ES goals/60 from February 1st until the end of the season. This shouldn't be a surprise that they're getting smacked.

I said this on the main board playoff thread right when the series was announced, I don't know why I didn't think this was more likely to happen. The Penguins were a terrible offensive team down the stretch playing against a great defensive team, I don't know why I thought that would magically change going forward.

This team is dead in the water. I want to feel bad, but I really don't. I care about how they do as much as they do.

I don't know how many times I brought up concerns about their offense over the past month (all of March). And every time I was told "LOL Malkin and Letang are out. We'll be fine". I guess we're not fine after all even when those guys are back.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I was just shocked to see with about 6 min left, getting a 4 on 4 down by two goals, the reaction was to allow the Islanders to lazily pass the puck around, controlling it the entire time, including Filpulla, who is old, dangling through two guys in slow motion and getting a clear shot off from the hashes. As surprised as i am I’m general at how this is going, I was stunned to see the complete lack of fire when basically the series was in the balance.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not going to put all the blame on Letang. But they had better structure and defensively when he was out. They looked like a playoff contender. The issue is you can't tell the team to play one way with a certain d pairing and one way with another. They tried last year to make him be more defensive and he wouldn't do it and gave up a lot of breakaways. Then in the off-season said he's "getting back to his game" Translation - not play how the coaches are telling me to. So they are stuck running a system to appease Letang and that's why Schultz is pinching and all this other nonsense. Islanders have no offensive d-men and working us. Sharks have arguably two of the best and tied 1-1. Just give me some real defense.

Much as my initial instinct is to agree, the playoffs are a different animal.

Reactions: SouthGeorge

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Man the people crying for JJ must feel so stupid. Im sorry but this guy was horrible in game 2 and 3. Like he has no idea what he is doing out there.

But atleast he's not slow

Sad part is that he is lol

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Sullivan's not the problem. The roster is. Has been all season.

Penguins have gotten dumber and slower while the rest of the league plays with more pace. Pens were at the forefront of playing with speed - not just physical speed, but quick and smart decisions, too - when they won the Cup. The rest of the NHL borrowed that and ran with it. The Pens lagged behind, made dumb decisions in the front office, and now they're being passed by.

Some of these players aren't bad. They're just bad fits. That's on Rutherford and the scouting staff.

In the meantime, Sullivan has to try something for Game 4. Blueger for Wilson. Maatta for Johnson. And if Ruhwedel is healthy, bring him in for Gudbransson. Maatta and Ruhwedel will provide better puck movement while sacrificing some size. At this stage, the Pens can't faster on D. They can get smarter.

McCann-Crosby-Guentzel
Rust-Malkin-Kessel
Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Blueger-Cullen-Aston-Reese

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Pettersson-Ruhwedel

You're just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I know, but you aren't replacing the whole team, so what are ya gonna do?
I disagree.

Do you know how many Penguin players that were on the 2016 Stanley Cup team, that were also on the 2013 losing to the Bruins team?

5. Crosby. Malkin. Letang. Kunitz. Fleury.

In 3 years we replaced all but 5 players.

It's possible to (A) replace the whole team and (B) win.

Reactions: ncm7772

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I was just shocked to see with about 6 min left, getting a 4 on 4 down by two goals, the reaction was to allow the Islanders to lazily pass the puck around, controlling it the entire time, including Filpulla dangling through two guys in slow motion and getting a clear shot off from the hashes. As surprised as i am I’m general at how this is going, I was stunned to see the complete lack of fire when basically the series was in the balance.

They look like a team that knows it's over. I'll be surprised if they even win game 4 at this point. A sweep feels likely.

This team needs massive changes this summer.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Look on the bright side: Sully will get fired around december next year and they will turn their season around to win the cup under the new coach.

And my buddy and I are getting together for Game 4. Last time we watched a Pens season end together was '08. We know what happened the next years!

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
:laugh:

Fair enough, but that's a lot easier said than done, as I know you already know.
I'm not saying we shouldn't change coaches either btw. I'm just not on board with the folks who seem to be singlehandedly blaming Sully as if we'd be up in the series if he played Blueger instead of ZAR or if McCann was with Sid.

Reactions: Gumbercules

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I disagree.

Do you know how many Penguin players that were on the 2016 Stanley Cup team, that were also on the 2013 losing to the Bruins team?

Possible, yes, but the task may be even more difficult now than it was then.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
JJ
Kessel
Gudbranson (even tho I don’t mind him)

We talking like 15 mill in cap space dawg

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I disagree.

In 1 offseason?

Sure, in 3 years a lot can happen.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Is it really?
It's gonna be hilarious if JR retires or gets fired and Sullivan continues to drive this team into the ground and people finally admit it's Sully that's the problem after 4yrs of being mediocre, wasting more time of Geno and Sid's.

Sullivan has this weird God like power with people here and it's comical.

He's Bylsma levels of stubborn.

Reactions: Hank Plank

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I'm not saying we shouldn't change coaches either btw. I'm just not on board with the folks who seem to be singlehandedly blaming Sully as if we'd be up in the series if he played Blueger instead of ZAR or if McCann was with Sid.
I blame Sully more on not figuring out a successful way to attack and defend the Islanders system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad