Is this a bounce back year for Edmonton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
Corsi and scoring chances seem to disagree that the Oilers outplayed the Capitols is what I am saying.

Did you watch the game or are you just looking at stats because common sense dis agrees with you. The Capitals didn't out play the Oilers last night until the last bit of the third when they started firing everything on net because they were down be two.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I am not sold on the Oilers yet, but they have had a tough schedule to start the season. They played a very good game last night, the kind of game they need to play more of if they want to make the playoffs. Consistency is key with this team, they need the secondary guys to be productive on a regular basis.

Reactions: zar

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
My experience with bad teams is that surprisingly they play well against good ones. The issue is always that they never beat the teams they should and find ways to squeak out wins when they should lose on paper sometimes.

However they are very lucky to play in the worst division in the league which means they might be able to stumble into a playoff spot somehow.

However I am no convinced that means they are good. They are still very much the Edmonton McDavid's and they need Talbot to stay steady to win (he bailed out their defense a lot the last few games)

Why do you feel such an urge to post in Edmonton threads? Especially when you speak gibberish. We have played 1 bad team that we should have beat and we beat them handily in the Rangers. Talbot has been subpar in every other game minus the Caps game. Your "worst division" point actually is completely irrelevant because we haven't played a single Pacific division team. Also, what is this experience that you speak of? The experience off the top of your head when you want to make a biased point? Would love to see anything resembling proof because everyone here knows you just talking outta your a

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm not crying, just pointing out facts. There is a difference, of which you should learn.

Fact: We have this thread every year.
Fact: Come Christmas, Edmonton is all nice and snuggled into their bed in the basement.
Fact: Edmonton is just not a good team.

And, yes I know, Vancouver is not a good team. So I'm taking that one off the table right now.

You should learn what "fact" means before spouting off.
"Edmonton is just not a good team" this season is an "opinion", not a "fact". :teach:
The Canucks have zero Cups - Fact
Mouz trolling every Oilers thread - Fact

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Capitals:

Corsi: 68, Fenwick: 43, Shots: 32, Scoring Chances: 27, High Danger Chances: 9

Oilers:

Corsi: 54, Fenwick: 42, Shots: 32, Scoring Chances: 21, High Danger Chances: 9

Goalies:

Talbot: .969 sv% 1.00 GAA

Holtby: .903 sv% 3.00 GAA

So the Oilers had more scoring chances against and got out possessed. Shots and quality of chances were identical, the difference was that the Oilers got the goaltending (Talbot not only played better but stopped 6 more scoring chances than Holtby).

That is all situations, 5v5 the Oilers numbers get even worse.
you have zero idea what you are talking about. holtby faced far more dangerous chances last night. 4 breakaways, a few 2 on 1s, great glove saves. Talbot faced 3-4 great chances but you are looking at numbers not the games. Talbot has not bailed the team out at all yet this year. give me a break

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
You should learn what "fact" means before spouting off.
"Edmonton is just not a good team" this season is an "opinion", not a "fact". :teach:
The Canucks have zero Cups - Fact
Mouz trolling every Oilers thread - Fact
I was talking about Edmonton being a bad team in general, not just this season. But thanks

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
How is Pacific NOT the worst division?

Metro and Central are bloodbaths

Atlantic has 3 of the top 7 teams last year. This year the same teams are still good but the teams with off years are playing well in Montreal, Ottawa, and even the Sabres have a winning record. The only objectively awful team is Detroit. The rest are mediocre at best.

Pacific?

Who is the best team? I am not sure any of those teams make the top 3 spots in any other division outside of maybe the Sharks.

Ducks started with wins but were being bailed out by insane goaltending which cannot be kept up and they are regressing now.

Kings are terrible

Nucks always start hot and will be in the bottom 10 by the end of the year.

Flames and Oilers are in the same boat of meh. Bubble teams at best.

Vegas falling back to earth like everyone expected

Coyotes can't even score.

Literally one playoff team in the whole division in the Sharks who are old and will likely be injured like usual going into the playoffs.

If I was a central team I would be liking my lips at the thought of almost a free pass into the 2nd round if I was lucky enough to match one of those Pacific teams in the playoffs.

So just subjective nonsense then. Your opinion about each team and how "trash" they are is pretty irrelevant. Every division is a bloodbath, what logic are you even applying to your analysis...? Its the NHL. Last year Buffalo was the worst team in the league, now Detroit looks like they are trying to set a franchise low....just because a division is top heavy doesnt mean it's good.

It doesnt make sense to me. We just saw an expansion team go to the finals, divisional strength is pretty much becoming a thing of the past. You cant really say the division is bad because the expansion team finished first, because they had to beat a central (and best RS team) to go to the SC. I bet Nashville was licking their chops when they got blitzed in the West final last year. Right?

Avg points between the divisions was:
Central: 98.43
Metro: 92.125
Pacific: 89.125
Atlantic: 87.375

Avg GF/GA:
Central: 249.14/228.71
Metro: 249.375/253.25
Atlantic: 242.125/252.25
Pacific: 234.5/238.375

Look how even the scoring GF/GA was in the Pacific. Lower but even. Central has one less team so there is more variance in the team based stats.

Number of teams in the finals (wins) per division:

Metro - 5 (3)
Central - 3 (2)
Pacific - 5 (2)
Atlantic - 3 (1)

Went back to 2011 because that's the last time an Atlantic team won the cup. Didnt want to seem biased.

"Literally one playoff team" though. I mean, that's impossible because each division gets two spots, F for effort man.

Um, might it have something to do with the fact that the Oilers have 9 points in 8 games, and therefore the 2nd highest points percentage in the Pacific?

Hot take. Maybe the division is just evenly matched with each other? Love the 8 game hot takes. Nucks always start hot. Cgy has a ton of variance each game, and has played the nucks twice. Not all divisions have played the same number of divisional games to this point.

This divisional strength stuff is nonsense. Who is even proud of their division doing well anyways, dont you have a rivalry with your divisional partners? I'm happy that the kings are bad and I wouldnt mind seeing the sharks choke again.

I dont think the Pacific is the best, but I dont think it's the worst, I also dont think it matters for shit. Just something to parrot when your team goes out in round 1. "Oh but my divisional games are hard, that's why we cant win a round"

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I felt last night's game was like 60-70% of the games played in an NHL season, where neither team was spectacular nor horrible. For most of the longer-than-recent history (outside of 2 years ago), the Oilers have regularly found ways to make more mistakes than the other teams in these games and lose. Been better the last couple of weeks in these type of game, but need to see more wins like last night before I can really feel anything more than hope that they are going to be better this year.

Simonizer

Sep 23, 2015
Capitals:

Corsi: 68, Fenwick: 43, Shots: 32, Scoring Chances: 27, High Danger Chances: 9

Oilers:

Corsi: 54, Fenwick: 42, Shots: 32, Scoring Chances: 21, High Danger Chances: 9

Goalies:

Talbot: .969 sv% 1.00 GAA

Holtby: .903 sv% 3.00 GAA

So the Oilers had more scoring chances against and got out possessed. Shots and quality of chances were identical, the difference was that the Oilers got the goaltending (Talbot not only played better but stopped 6 more scoring chances than Holtby).

That is all situations, 5v5 the Oilers numbers get even worse.

So... you didn't watch the game, have no idea about the ebbs and flows in it but here are some stats that clearly illustrate your disdain for the Oilers winning.

Caps were shut down, Oilers won 4-1 and could have won 6-1. Your/Or your Plagiarized /"interpreted" high danger chances are based upon someone's opinion and do not take a lot of factors into consideration. But hey, "Stats Guy", that's your job.

:thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad