Is this a bounce back year for Edmonton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Stats aren't facts, man. Visual eye test is facts. Get with it
I guess people think even Washington's coach was wrong about the game.

"I really felt like against a dangerous transition team we really fuelled their offence by the way we handled the puck," said Capitals coach Todd Reirden. "Our puck management was poor and a lot of turnovers got us into trouble and kind of tilted the ice in their favour for really no reason."

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Corsi and scoring chances seem to disagree that the Oilers outplayed the Capitols is what I am saying.

Trust me, they outplayed the Caps last night. The Oilers had more high danger chances, Holtby made a boatload of tough saves.
They definitely outplayed the Pens the previous game.
Point being that Talbot hasn't "stood on his head" in any of these games.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
last year every thing that went wrong did .horrible bounces, injuries, struggling goaltending. I said it before if the pp, pk and goaltending are even just average this is a bubble team. I mean how many 1st shot goals did the visitors score last year? it was unreal. most were pucks bouncing off players and in. if Lady luck goes their way this year, they won't be a top team but at least competitive.

Their schedule to start the year was crazy .going overseas, playing 13 of their first 14 against playoff teams .teams like the preds twice. caps twice, pens, Tampa. if they can go 500 and weather the storm they might have a chance

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I think they are a bubble team that can absolutely make the playoffs.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Still sticking with the bubble team for me, although if they can get out of this tough month at or above 500, that would be a good sign.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I mean, the only real competition they have in the division is San Jose and Calgary.

Even with their putrid start if they don't make the playoffs... I guess they'll just have to try again next year...

They’ve had a putrid start this season?

News to me. Are you sure you’re not talking about the Kings?

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
You are sounding like the guy who said you can't learn anything more from watching the games rather than just looking at box scores.
Even the Washington coach said the ice was tilted in favor of the Oilers. But we should trust a guy who didn't even watch the game over the Washington Capitals coach......

Reactions: McNuge

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Capitals:

Corsi: 68, Fenwick: 43, Shots: 32, Scoring Chances: 27, High Danger Chances: 9

Oilers:

Corsi: 54, Fenwick: 42, Shots: 32, Scoring Chances: 21, High Danger Chances: 9

Goalies:

Talbot: .969 sv% 1.00 GAA

Holtby: .903 sv% 3.00 GAA

So the Oilers had more scoring chances against and got out possessed. Shots and quality of chances were identical, the difference was that the Oilers got the goaltending (Talbot not only played better but stopped 6 more scoring chances than Holtby).

That is all situations, 5v5 the Oilers numbers get even worse.

Lmao buddy you ever heard of scoring effects? You didn't watch the game, nobody would say shit that dumb if they watched the game

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
My experience with bad teams is that they are bad. Bad teams beating good ones and losing to worse teams is mumbo jumbo.

What is this Pacific is the worst division nonsense?

Um, might it have something to do with the fact that the Oilers have 9 points in 8 games, and therefore the 2nd highest points percentage in the Pacific?

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Here is a quote from the Caps game day thread:

"Caps are making Edmonton's defense look like world beaters. Sigh"

Lots of other comments along similar lines.

So Caps and Oilers fans agree that Washington didn't dominate only to have Talbot bail out the Oilers but Leafs fan Kamicolo knows better. :sarcasm:

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Sometimes you need your goalie to steal the game. Happens to everyone.
And that was needed, considering how bad he was against Pitts.
he needs to make the big save when it matters because this year edm really hasn't played that poor. I mean holtby stopped 3 breakaways a a few 2 on 1s last night against edm. he kept them in the game. I'm the end if Talbot is at least average the oilers are a bubble team

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Chiarelli might save his job if he Patrick Marooned another flukey signing in Chiasson. Adding a guy that might possibly hit 20 with the way he is playing might just be enough to push them into a wildcard spot. They need that winger depth so badly that any little bit helps. Players like that get on a line with someone like Drai or especially Mcdavid and they could fluke their way to 15 to 20 goals.

I would argue that Maroon having such a bad year last season to start was a big factor in them not being able to bounce back from a horrible October. They missed his 27 goals from the season before. Nothing was clicking last year with their wingers.

Come on Chia, keep on patching the sinking ship with bandages, its keeping you afloat for now.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Kamicolo pretending to know what's going on ✓
mouz crying about the Oilers ✓

This is definitely a main board Oilers thread.
I'm not crying, just pointing out facts. There is a difference, of which you should learn.

Fact: We have this thread every year.
Fact: Come Christmas, Edmonton is all nice and snuggled into their bed in the basement.
Fact: Edmonton is just not a good team.

And, yes I know, Vancouver is not a good team. So I'm taking that one off the table right now.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I liked how Ovy denied seeing Sid's OT winner, but he saw Chiasson's two goals and was happy for him and then Chiasson burns his old team with that off-the-post-and-in laser beam wrister.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Adding a guy that might possibly hit 20 with the way he is playing might just be enough to push them into a wildcard spot.

With the way the central has looked so far, there won't be a wildcard position available for the Pacific. They'll probably have to be a top 3 team in their division. It's early, but it would be surprising to see otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad