Is this a bounce back year for Edmonton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Talbot hasn't been anything more than average so far this season and the Oilers are 4-3-1 playing pretty much exclusively against top five NHL teams.

The Oilers started off a little rough but they have been carrying the play very well their past few games.

So I'm not sure which reality you are living in, but it isn't this one.

He hasn't been more than average but the team is hovering around .500. It's because they can only win when he is on. I am just calling it like I see it.

How many big saves did Talbot have last night? A lot in my viewing. The game is basically give McDavid the puck and then scramble on the ice and get bailed out by your goalie until he can catch his breath and then put out McDavid again.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
He hasn't been more than average but the team is hovering around .500. It's because they can only win when he is on. I am just calling it like I see it.

How many big saves did Talbot have last night? A lot in my viewing. The game is basically give McDavid the puck and then scramble on the ice and get bailed out by your goalie until he can catch his breath and then put out McDavid again.
We've had a pretty savage schedule, dude.
The fact that we are 4-3-1 is a testament that we aren't that bad this year.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
To back up my point

In the games the Oilers have won this year with Talbot he has a 0.934 sv%

In the games the Oilers have lost with Talbot he has a 0.870 sv%

This has to be one of the biggest swings in the league no?

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Because Talbot, and the D, specifically Russell, were trash in the Pens game. So what team will you be getting night in and night out?

Game 20-25 and we will have a handle on who the Oilers, and all the other teams, really are.
Keep in mind the oilers have only played 8 games. Anaheim and Vancouver have played 11. Edmonton is only 3 points back of first with 3 less games played. It’s going alright for them so far.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

Lol. Your bias is ridiculous.

Maybe you just watched the last ten minutes?

What was your opinion on Yamamoto's back check on the Caps breakway?

Do you think that was a trip?

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
To back up my point

In the games the Oilers have won this year with Talbot he has a 0.934 sv%

In the games the Oilers have lost with Talbot he has a 0.870 sv%

This has to be one of the biggest swings in the league no?
Yes, Cam is definitely a giant factor in us winning or losing.
But please, pull up sv% stats for any goalie where his team wins or loses.

Reactions: zar

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
We've had a pretty savage schedule, dude.
The fact that we are 4-3-1 is a testament that we aren't that bad this year.

I would argue, based on the underlying numbers, that the sample size hasn't been sufficient enough for the numbers to normalize.

That is IMO. I acknowledge the hard schedule and think they have done well considering the expectations were to lose them all after their start but I also think that there is some unsustainable play happening.

For example last night the Oilers won but were out possessed, and the scoring chances were 23-16 for the Capitals. talbot stole the game.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
My experience with bad teams is that surprisingly they play well against good ones. The issue is always that they never beat the teams they should and find ways to squeak out wins when they should lose on paper sometimes.

However they are very lucky to play in the worst division in the league which means they might be able to stumble into a playoff spot somehow.

However I am no convinced that means they are good. They are still very much the Edmonton McDavid's and they need Talbot to stay steady to win (he bailed out their defense a lot the last few games)

No, he didn't. He's the main reason why they lost the Pens game and the defense didn't give up much to the Caps last night although he was solid when needed.
They outplayed those two teams, flat out.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
I would argue, based on the underlying numbers, that the sample size hasn't been sufficient enough for the numbers to normalize.

That is IMO. I acknowledge the hard schedule and think they have done well considering the expectations were to lose them all after their start but I also think that there is some unsustainable play happening.

For example last night the Oilers won but were out possessed, and the scoring chances were 23-16 for the Capitals. talbot stole the game.
Sometimes you need your goalie to steal the game. Happens to everyone.
And that was needed, considering how bad he was against Pitts.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Sometimes you need your goalie to steal the game. Happens to everyone.
And that was needed, considering how bad he was against Pitts.

I agree. There isn't a team in the league who doesn't need their goalie to win one for them once in a while. I guess my point is, if your only chance of winning is if your goalie is standing on his head or not, over time, you will lose more than you win.

This has been seen time and time again. Most recently this year with Anaheim.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017

If you watched the game then you have no idea what you are talking about. The Oilers outplayed the Capitals and pretty much controlled the game. If anything Holty kept the game close with some of his saves.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I don't think they are very good at moving the puck up the ice (as you said) and despite them limiting shots they give up a ton of high danger chances against.

Just my opinion based on watching a bunch of teams this season. I would say there are a few other teams in this boat as well despite having the hype of good defense (Like Calgary and Philly for example even if their weaknesses are different).

This season? Oilers have played some tough teams - Preds, Bruins, Pens, Cap, Jets. And Benning has been complete garbage. He's good for 2 goals against each night. Thankfully he's been injured :)

Small sample size. Things should normalize after game 30-40.

Last season the wheels fell off after D injuries. First half they looked like Corsi champs (top-3 with Hurricanes and other team) but with baaaad PDO luck.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
Very impressive, both the Oilers and the Canucks maintain a winning record despite a very poor goal differential. Surely these teams have rewritten the rules.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I agree. There isn't a team in the league who doesn't need their goalie to win one for them once in a while. I guess my point is, if your only chance of winning is if your goalie is standing on his head or not, over time, you will lose more than you win.

Talbot didn't stand on his head though, this is where you're mistaken. Again, the Oilers outplayed the Caps and Pens the last two games. The Caps only poured on some scoring chances when they were down 2 late in the game.

Reactions: Future GOAT

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
If you watched the game then you have no idea what you are talking about. The Oilers outplayed the Capitals and pretty much controlled the game. If anything Holty kept the game close with some of his saves.

Capitals:

Corsi: 68, Fenwick: 43, Shots: 32, Scoring Chances: 27, High Danger Chances: 9

Oilers:

Corsi: 54, Fenwick: 42, Shots: 32, Scoring Chances: 21, High Danger Chances: 9

Goalies:

Talbot: .969 sv% 1.00 GAA

Holtby: .903 sv% 3.00 GAA

So the Oilers had more scoring chances against and got out possessed. Shots and quality of chances were identical, the difference was that the Oilers got the goaltending (Talbot not only played better but stopped 6 more scoring chances than Holtby).

That is all situations, 5v5 the Oilers numbers get even worse.

Reactions: mouz135

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

So if you are trying to describe edm you are wrong. Talbot hasn’t had to stand on his head or stop 40 shots a night. If not I don’t see what it had to do with them.

Reactions: karnige

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Talbot didn't stand on his head though, this is where you're mistaken. Again, the Oilers outplayed the Caps and Pens the last two games. The Caps only poured on some scoring chances when they were down 2 late in the game.

Corsi and scoring chances seem to disagree that the Oilers outplayed the Capitols is what I am saying.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Capitals:

Oilers:

Goalies:

So the Oilers had more scoring chances against and got out possessed. Shots and quality of chances were identical, the difference was that the Oilers got the goaltending (Talbot not only played better but stopped 6 more scoring chances than Holtby).

Score effects. The Capitals weren't doing squat until maybe early-mid-third when they were down even though they were shooting but not very dangerous shots IMO.

Washington Capitals @ Edmonton Oilers, 2018-10-25

Last season the Oilers were destroying teams on Corsi and HDC in the first 20-30 games.. but had a garbage record. When you are losing and trying to catch up.. you shoot more.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Capitals:

Oilers:

Goalies:

No one that watched the game would be that out to lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad