Is this a bounce back year for Edmonton

Status
Not open for further replies.

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
Edmonton has had the toughest strength of schedule in the NHL so far and they have a winning record. The team has looked good in the last few games.

Is this a bounce back year and will last year prove to be just a fluke?

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Do you mean in the context of a superball dropped from the 10th floor of a building, just falling down for those ten floors before bouncing upwards one floor only to be caught in a flower pot on the second floor? Are you wondering someone If dug out some of the weeds and removed the superball from the flower pot and threw it over the railing again? Maybe, but whoever did it might have thrown it so it ends up in a wheelbarrow

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Im that they become mediocre instead of the worst? Yea, probably.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Their schedule has definitively been stupidly difficult and it does seem like they are finally getting some secondary scoring the last few games. Going to need that (and the other usual stuff in hockey) to continue to have any hope at the playoffs.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Too early. It's too early to say that for any team in the NHL right now. I'd say the 30 game mark is a good indication of what teams have turned it around

But as an Oilers fan, having one of the toughest schedules to start the season was the best thing that happened to them

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Do you mean in the context of a superball dropped from the 10th floor of a building, just falling down for those ten floors before bouncing upwards one floor only to be caught in a flower pot on the second floor? Are you wondering someone If dug out some of the weeds and removed the superball from the flower pot and threw it over the railing again? Maybe, but whoever did it might have thrown it so it ends up in a wheelbarrow

What the... lol

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I mean, the only real competition they have in the division is San Jose and Calgary.

Even with their putrid start if they don't make the playoffs... I guess they'll just have to try again next year...

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
My experience with bad teams is that surprisingly they play well against good ones. The issue is always that they never beat the teams they should and find ways to squeak out wins when they should lose on paper sometimes.

However they are very lucky to play in the worst division in the league which means they might be able to stumble into a playoff spot somehow.

However I am no convinced that means they are good. They are still very much the Edmonton McDavid's and they need Talbot to stay steady to win (he bailed out their defense a lot the last few games)

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
I think last year was kind of a fluke. McDavid is too good for his club to miss the playoffs year after year.

I'm not sold on them being Cup contenders yet by any means, but they're good enough to make the playoffs.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
We’re slowly improving, we still need someone outside of McDavid, Drai and Hopkins to start putting up points (outside of Chiasson lol).

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I’ve been saying last year was very unlucky for the Oilers and they would bounce back to make the playoffs.

Doesn’t mean the team does not have flaws, they definitely do.

If they can finish above .500 for this month, I think they have a good chance.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
My experience with bad teams is that surprisingly they play well against good ones. The issue is always that they never beat the teams they should and find ways to squeak out wins when they should lose on paper sometimes.

However they are very lucky to play in the worst division in the league which means they might be able to stumble into a playoff spot somehow.

However I am no convinced that means they are good. They are still very much the Edmonton McDavid's and they need Talbot to stay steady to win (he bailed out their defense a lot the last few games)

My experience with bad teams is that they are bad. Bad teams beating good ones and losing to worse teams is mumbo jumbo.

What is this Pacific is the worst division nonsense?

Reactions: Laodongxi

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

Predictable, and incorrect.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The Oilers record in 2017 made them look better than they were -- they had a huge surge at the very start and very end of the season that inflated their record.

Conversely, their record last year made them look worse than they were, largely thanks to the first six weeks of the season, which was a train wreck. (After that, they were more or less a .500 team.)

Thus the 'true' team performance lies somewhere between those two extremes. Since their division is a bit weak this year, they have a very good chance of returning to the playoffs.

Reactions: Dustin

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
and they need Talbot to stay steady to win (he bailed out their defense a lot the last few games)

This is how I can tell you didn't watch the games and are just saying random things.

Talbot was good against the Capitals. Holtby had to make more big saves though. That game was a great defensive effort by the team.

Talbot was subpar against the Penguins. The Oilers probably should have won that one in regulation.

Talbot's only great game thus far has been against the Rangers.

Reactions: theblackadder

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Well I watched the Pens game and I think "thank god the Pacific stinks so they may have a chance", then I watch the Capitals game and I think, "maybe they are better than they showed in the Pens game". :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad