Is this a bounce back year for Edmonton

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
They win a couple games in October, and they've turned the corner. Again. Haven't we seen this story unfold before?

Lets wait a couple months, at least until American thanksgiving, until proclaiming such outrageous things

Reactions: 71Malkin71

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
People keep saying this. Why?

Because Talbot, and the D, specifically Russell, were trash in the Pens game. So what team will you be getting night in and night out?

Game 20-25 and we will have a handle on who the Oilers, and all the other teams, really are.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Because Talbot, and the D, specifically Russell, were trash in the Pens game. So what team will you be getting night in and night out?

Game 20-25 and we will have a handle on who the Oilers, and all the other teams, really are.

Trash? They actually played really good against a Pens team. We could have won it. Calgary on the other hand got destroyed by that same Pens team.

Reactions: Simonizer

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Trash? They actually played really good against a Pens team. We could have won it. Calgary on the other hand got destroyed by that same Pens team.

The kind of standards a bad team has. Maybe you think they played well because McDavid only produced 35% of the offense this time but..

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
This is how I can tell you didn't watch the games and are just saying random things.

Talbot was good against the Capitals. Holtby had to make more big saves though. That game was a great defensive effort by the team.

Talbot was subpar against the Penguins. The Oilers probably should have won that one in regulation.

Talbot's only great game thus far has been against the Rangers.

I watched both games actually. I should have specified games they won. Against the Pens Talbot couldn't make a save and it ultimately costed the game. Against the caps though, it could have easily turned into another Pens game but Talbot kept coming up big.

If he isn't bailing them out they are losing and they don't have the offense to bail him out when he is off.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Hard to "bounce" back when they've been stationary on the hard cement floor of the basement for over a decade. Let's not pretend that 2016-17 was the norm, and last season was a drop that they can just "bounce back" from.

They need to become relevant, and become a winning team. Not return to being those things.

Reactions: mouz135

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I watched both games actually. I should have specified games they won. Against the Pens Talbot couldn't make a save and it ultimately costed the game. Against the caps though, it could have easily turned into another Pens game but Talbot kept coming up big.

If he isn't bailing them out they are losing and they don't have the offense to bail him out when he is off.

If Holtby hadn't come up big on a few saves the Oilers could have scored 5-6.

So if your point was that Talbot needs to provide average NHL calibre goaltending then you're right.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Well I watched the Pens game and I think "thank god the Pacific stinks so they may have a chance", then I watch the Capitals game and I think, "maybe they are better than they showed in the Pens game". :laugh:

They absolutely dominated the Pens, but Talbot was horrible simple.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
My experience with bad teams is that they are bad. Bad teams beating good ones and losing to worse teams is mumbo jumbo.

What is this Pacific is the worst division nonsense?

How is Pacific NOT the worst division?

Metro and Central are bloodbaths

Atlantic has 3 of the top 7 teams last year. This year the same teams are still good but the teams with off years are playing well in Montreal, Ottawa, and even the Sabres have a winning record. The only objectively awful team is Detroit. The rest are mediocre at best.

Pacific?

Who is the best team? I am not sure any of those teams make the top 3 spots in any other division outside of maybe the Sharks.

Ducks started with wins but were being bailed out by insane goaltending which cannot be kept up and they are regressing now.

Kings are terrible

Nucks always start hot and will be in the bottom 10 by the end of the year.

Flames and Oilers are in the same boat of meh. Bubble teams at best.

Vegas falling back to earth like everyone expected

Coyotes can't even score.

Literally one playoff team in the whole division in the Sharks who are old and will likely be injured like usual going into the playoffs.

If I was a central team I would be liking my lips at the thought of almost a free pass into the 2nd round if I was lucky enough to match one of those Pacific teams in the playoffs.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Another top-5 pick coming for Edmonton next summer. Book it.

If that means winning the draft lottery... hell ya!

But I doubt it. The Pacific is garbage. The Atlantic and Metro are weaker. Oilers finished 9th last season with the worst special teams and baaaad goaltending.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I can see it being a bounceback year for them. I was looking at the standings earlier in the morning, and I thought to myself that after San Jose, who should eventually put things together and pull away from the division, it is completely wide open. And a better season from a few Oilers players and they should be able to compete for a top-3 spot in the division.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
If Holtby hadn't come up big on a few saves the Oilers could have scored 5-6.

So if your point was that Talbot needs to provide average NHL calibre goaltending then you're right.

There was nothing average about it. He made at least 10 game saving saves last night. Average was in the Pens game when he made the saves he had to but couldn't come up with a save to stop the back breakers.

Basically if McDavid is not producing the team is not producing. Draisatl is useless out there running his own line (although to be fair to him, how many times did he gain zone entry and circle the zone with his wingers being useless?) and the depth scorers are on pace for 20 point seasons.

They had an empty net goal but otherwise had Talbot not kept them in the game they likely would have folded instead of fighting back which they have done for the last 5+ years outside of one outlier year.

All I am saying is that a team that relies on their goalie to make multiple game saving plays every night or they have no chance won't go very far. Trust me my team did it for years.

And they don't have the scoring depth to out score their problems. McDavid isn't going to put up 3PPG this year. Their depth is very meh. Their defense is one of the worst in the league.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Lol. Alright. You are just regurgitating talking points like every other sore Leafs fan.

Carry that cross brother.

What? I actually watch the games. I have seen three Oilers games so far this year. All you did was attempt to deflect my points by Straw manning my post about my fandom.

Are you REALLY trying to refute that the offense of the Oilers is basically McDavid, or is that only a convenient topic when comparing McDavid to other players to try and prop him up?

Are you REALLY trying to say that if Talbot doesn't steal games for them, they lose?

When was the last time Talbot played like ass and the Oilers won?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
And they don't have the scoring depth to out score their problems. McDavid isn't going to put up 3PPG this year. Their depth is very meh. Their defense is one of the worst in the league.

I don't get the defense is worst in the league. It's suspect but Oilers over the past few years has been good at limiting shots and shot attempts. For a while last season I thought they might win the Corsi Cup.

This season they are continuing to prevent shots:

NHL.com - Stats

The Oilers D breakout is horrible and worst in the league though.

Reactions: zar and Coffey

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
There was nothing average about it. He made at least 10 game saving saves last night. Average was in the Pens game when he made the saves he had to but couldn't come up with a save to stop the back breakers.

Basically if McDavid is not producing the team is not producing. Draisatl is useless out there running his own line (although to be fair to him, how many times did he gain zone entry and circle the zone with his wingers being useless?) and the depth scorers are on pace for 20 point seasons.

They had an empty net goal but otherwise had Talbot not kept them in the game they likely would have folded instead of fighting back which they have done for the last 5+ years outside of one outlier year.

All I am saying is that a team that relies on their goalie to make multiple game saving plays every night or they have no chance won't go very far. Trust me my team did it for years.

You win worst posts of this thread! A team that relies on their goalie to make multiple good saves every game and has piss poor D? Are you sure you’re not talking about the leafs?

Reactions: McDaddy

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I expect the division to be a lot better than it has been but it still won’t be good so they have a big advantage there. I could see it being the two Alberta teams and San Jose as the top three with two wild card teams coming from the Central. Vegas/Arizona/Anaheim wouldn’t shock me either but I think at least one of Calgary or Edmknton finishes top 3 in the division.

It’s really difficult to be a bad team with a McDavid on your team. Crosby has only missed the playoffs once and Ovechkin only twice. I know the Oilers had a bad year last year but their special teams were unsustainably bad and Talbot had a really poor year. If Talbot bounces back a bit they should make it just based on McDavid, he could be a 120+ point guy this year.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
I don't get the defense is worst in the league. It's suspect but Oilers over the past few years has been good at limiting shots and shot attempts. For a while last season I thought they might win the Corsi Cup.

This season they are continuing to prevent shots:

NHL.com - Stats

The Oilers D breakout is horrible and worst in the league though.

I don't think they are very good at moving the puck up the ice (as you said) and despite them limiting shots they give up a ton of high danger chances against.

Just my opinion based on watching a bunch of teams this season. I would say there are a few other teams in this boat as well despite having the hype of good defense (Like Calgary and Philly for example even if their weaknesses are different).

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
When was the last time Talbot played like ass and the Oilers won?

Talbot hasn't been anything more than average so far this season and the Oilers are 4-3-1 playing pretty much exclusively against top five NHL teams.

The Oilers started off a little rough but they have been carrying the play very well their past few games.

So I'm not sure which reality you are living in, but it isn't this one.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
You win worst posts of this thread! A team that relies on their goalie to make multiple good saves every game and has piss poor D? Are you sure you’re not talking about the leafs?

This is not a Leaf thread please stop trying to make it one. I am giving my opinion on the team and should be able to without having to derail this discussion again (which BTW they have been great after the first few games that had high GA).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad