Post-Game Talk: Is There a Coach Tinder? If so, Swipe Right! Oilers lose 6-3

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Ahh okay. Was hoping someone would chime in with a status report on Bear. I HOPE the injury is the only thing keeping Bear off this roster, if it's Tmac thinking Benning deserves to be here or Chia directing that his new overpaid signing stay up to retain his value it would be another indictment on this crap organization.
Caleb Jones is having a hot start. Not a righty but might be worth giving a look.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Caleb Jones is having a hot start. Not a righty but might be worth giving a look.

He intrigues me. It's a tough call, as I'd like to see him continue his success and development. On the other hand, we could really use a Dman with his talents to move the puck. I think I'd lean on keeping in the AHL for at least another month or two and see how much he can sustain his terrific start.

Reactions: MessierII

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Yeh I heard that. And he looked good in the preseason. His skating is atleast NHL level already and that's a hurdle Matt Benning still hasn't overcome.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
The lineup other than 5 or 6 players is really weak like sad weak . This is on Chia .

Most of the blame is definitely on Chia. Tmac is just competent enough to let a great roster be great (see his tenure in SJ), but a mediocre roster exposes him for what he truly is...a guy unable to make good line up and in game decisions. The prime example is leaving Looch on the top line for the 3rd period of the CGY game. He was smart enough to recognize it was a good idea to protect Connor, but ignorant to the nuance that the boxing match had ended and the hockey game had begun.

Reactions: VainGretzky

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I wonder if that's why Todd kept him out there.

Maybe. Todd perhaps feel it necessary that Talbot has some things to improve on, and maybe Talbot has been resistant to this point. Then again, our goalie coach seems to be a joke. So Talbot is damned no matter which option he picks, except to get his own (hopefully good) goalie coach.

Reactions: Canada Drai

North

Jun 25, 2009
Most of the blame is definitely on Chia. Tmac is just competent enough to let a great roster be great (see his tenure in SJ), but a mediocre roster exposes him for what he truly is...a guy unable to make good line up and in game decisions. The prime example is leaving Looch on the top line for the 3rd period of the CGY game. He was smart enough to recognize it was a good idea to protect Connor, but ignorant to the nuance that the boxing match had ended and the hockey game had begun.

TMac was incompetent enough to let a great roster be good. There is a reason why the team did better when he left.

Reactions: frag2

North

Jun 25, 2009
Maybe. Todd perhaps feel it necessary that Talbot has some things to improve on, and maybe Talbot has been resistant to this point. Then again, our goalie coach seems to be a joke. So Talbot is damned no matter which option he picks, except to get his own (hopefully good) goalie coach.

Koskinen seems to be doing okay. They both play for the same team. One is significantly worse.

Reactions: Boom not bust

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Koskinen seems to be doing okay. They both play for the same team. One is significantly worse.

Koskinen hasn't been here long, though. Maybe the goalie coach hasn't had enough time to ruin him yet. ;)

Koskinen should definitely be given the starting position, though, until further notice.

Reactions: Canada Drai

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
He will probably just retire. He’s made 12M (so 6-7M after taxes) over the last 3 years. I doubt he’s hurting for money.
I can pretty much guarantee he'll move on to another team and win a Vezina. The way she goes for us.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I seem to recall Oilers fans saying the same thing about Dubnyk... and Brossoit. Seems they’re doing just fine without the Oilers.

Maybe, just maybe our goalie issues lie somewhere else?? *cough*coaching*cough*

Dubnyk and Talbot have had different goaltender coaches and head coaches.

Reactions: North

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Talbot is a product of this team. He knows if he isn’t perfect then there is zero chance we win a game.
I can imagine the pressure. And he is crumbling under it

He is mentally weak, his fault. But he is also a much better goaltender than he showing.

This team needs a new coach pronto. Hell just fire Todd and have GG take the reins until the new GM replaces him with someone else this off season.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I seem to recall Oilers fans saying the same thing about Dubnyk... and Brossoit. Seems they’re doing just fine without the Oilers.

Maybe, just maybe our goalie issues lie somewhere else?? *cough*coaching*cough*

How exactly does the coach tell the goalie to not play well?

I think the actual answer you're looking for is the defence sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad