Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
If you fly your parents out from Sweden to Nashville - I don't think you've checked out. He's clearly injured
Whatever the case is, I never want to hear him complaining or commenting about the team being competitive again. 2 points -3 on the series and abysmal metrics defensively.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Mack: 9P
Makar: 9P
Nuke: 7P
Toews: 5P
Barkov: 5P
Tkachuk: 9P
Verhaeghe: 9P
Reinhart:3P
Jarvis: 7P
Necas: 5P
Svech: 5P
McDavid: 10P
Drai: 8P
Hyman: 7P
Bouchard: 6P
RNH: 4P
Marchand: 8P
Pasta: 4P
Schiefele: 6P
Connor: 5P
Zib: 7P
Trocheck: 6P
Miller: 6P
Brock: 5P

Elias "I want to win' Pettersson:

EPASS.PNG

11.6 Million dollars for 8 years. We are screwed. PS: Got to lazy to look up other players stats.

Last edited:

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
He skated well enough to pull away on a 2 on 1 last night, so I'm not sure why he has been so slow the last 2 months. I'm not sure if his refusal to shoot is due to injuries, I'm not convinced he is even injured at all (at least not severely).

However, he is still only 25 years old and really just a kid. I'm sure I didn't handle challenges and struggles well at that age either. Its too bad that it is happening now, when we have a relatively easy path to the WCF. It also look extra bad when he has been making "playing for a winning team" such a big issue, and yet when the team is doing well, he is not contributing much to it. I'm sure he will bounce back eventually (probably not during this playoff though), but his struggle couldn't have come at a worse time.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
3 out of 4 of the last seasons, Hughes doesn't even bother passing EP the puck anymore.

He's not dumb, he sees this guy in every game, every practice, and knows how useless he is. Why waste a pass?

EP actually dragging down Mikeyev and Hogs.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
At some point you need to apply Occam's razors and just accept that there is a reasonable chance that Pettersson is just a streaky player that plays really well when he's on but is also pretty bad when he's off.
That's not occams razor. Occams razor is that he's injury prone and has been saddled all year with 4th line calibre offensively useless wingers who squander every opportunity that he provides them, not that he's the most mercurial player in league history who 50% of the time is an MVP calibre player challenging for the Art Ross and Selke and 50% of the time is a good 2C and it solely depends on his whims and mood.

The Pettersson narrative right now is like when Hughes lost Tanev and had to deal with the rotatoe of waiver bait #6's. It took him a long time to figure out how to play up to his potential with a garbage partner during which his detractors made hay about how he was really Barrie 2.0 and not actually what we'd already seen.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
That's not occams razor. Occams razor is that he's injury prone and has been saddled all year with 4th line calibre offensively useless wingers who squander every opportunity that he provides them, not that he's the most mercurial player in league history who 50% of the time is an MVP calibre player challenging for the Art Ross and Selke and 50% of the time is a good 2C and it solely depends on his whims and mood.
I don't think you will find anyone who thinks that Pettersson has suffered, to some extent, as a result of the quality of his linemates. But I also don't think you will find anyone that thinks Petterssson has looked good at even strength over the past three months or so. The narrative you are painting that Pettersson's linemates are squandering or flubbing all these great chances just isn't true. He isn't playing very well, and sure, it would likely help if he had better linemates, but its not like he looks good in isolation or anything, or that he is making all these great individual plays and that his linemates just are finishing them.

And this is consistent with the fact that he's also generally been bad on the powerplay and when reunited with the the Miller and Boeser.

But I agree, his linemates are definitely having a negative affect on his performance.

In terms of him being injured, this is also just speculation and its probably not worth debating.

Reactions: sting101

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He skated well enough to pull away on a 2 on 1 last night, so I'm not sure why he has been so slow the last 2 months. I'm not sure if his refusal to shoot is due to injuries, I'm not convinced he is even injured at all (at least not severely).

However, he is still only 25 years old and really just a kid. I'm sure I didn't handle challenges and struggles well at that age either. Its too bad that it is happening now, when we have a relatively easy path to the WCF. It also look extra bad when he has been making "playing for a winning team" such a big issue, and yet when the team is doing well, he is not contributing much to it. I'm sure he will bounce back eventually (probably not during this playoff though), but his struggle couldn't have come at a worse time.

I kind of dismiss the "he's just a kid stuff." I think of those memes where a fresh grad is interviewing for an entry-level job but the employer is looking for years of experience?

Well Petey didn't just land his $$$ contract based on luck, draft status, or nepotism. He's been a hard-working professional hockey player for ~10 years now. He has represented his country in international tournaments. This is his 6th NHL season. He had similar offensive struggles in Green's last days here. He overcame that.

This isn't a player who is experiencing NHL playoffs for the first time and is struggling. He's been struggling before the playoffs.

He shouldn't lack motivation. He has family and friends back home over to watch him play. In Game 4 he was mobbed and looked POed. Aside from family and friends being here he shouldn't have that much pressure on him. The Canucks were/are ahead in the series. There's been home games. There's been away games.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I kind of dismiss the "he's just a kid stuff." I think of those memes where a fresh grad is interviewing for an entry-level job but the employer is looking for years of experience?

Well Petey didn't just land his $$$ contract based on luck, draft status, or nepotism. He's been a hard-working professional hockey player for ~10 years now. He has represented his country in international tournaments. This is his 6th NHL season. He had similar offensive struggles in Green's last days here. He overcame that.

This isn't a player who is experiencing NHL playoffs for the first time and is struggling. He's been struggling before the playoffs.

He shouldn't lack motivation. He has family and friends back home over to watch him play. In Game 4 he was mobbed and looked POed. Aside from family and friends being here he shouldn't have that much pressure on him. The Canucks were/are ahead in the series. There's been home games. There's been away games.
I mean, all that can be true and he can still struggle mentally? Everybody is different obviously, but for a person with high expectation on himself and demand the best (which is a trait required if you want to be among the best in the world at your craft), sometimes its not a lack of motivation, or too much pressure from the outside, or anything else. Maybe he is just constantly beating himself up for every missed chance, every bad pass, every fanned on shot, etc. Because it has went on for so long, he now has no faith in his ability and second guess every decision, now he can neither pass or shoot. Obviously you can't play like that in the NHL.

Would a normal 25 year old be able to just dig himself out of that mental hole? Some people can, but its very rare. Yea he looks frustrated and defeated out there, but how many 25 years old wouldn't look like that when he is struggling? I get that these athletes are making big bucks and are on TV, so the expectations are that they are perfect human beings, but lets not forget that at the end of the day, he is still only 25 years old. You hope and expect he can handle adversity better because he is making millions, but is that really all that realistic? I'm not making excuses for him, he has to be better, but at the same time, I guess I sympathize with him a little bit because I don't think I would be able to handle it any better myself. Heck, I still smash my stick and gets into a funk when I miss a shot at drop in games, and I'm much older than Petey, lol.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
But I also don't think you will find anyone that thinks Petterssson has looked good at even strength over the past three months or so.

But I agree, his linemates are definitely having a negative affect on his performance.

In terms of him being injured, this is also just speculation and its probably not worth debating.
You jumped into this initially because I said I would be shocked if he wasn't injured. If injuries weren't worth debating, you wouldn't have responded.

I don't see why his injury status isn't worth debating but armchair psychology is a great topic to focus on instead. There's tangible indications that he's injured, there's no tangible evidence that's it's all about his emotional state.

I'm not arguing with people who just think Pettersson is slumping, we all know that. I have a problem with the narrative being pushed that it's 100% about his emotional state and that's the only thing effecting his performance. It's objectively not true and that's something that the people pushing this narrative will never acknowledge.

Reactions: racerjoe

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
Love this kid, he just needs some wingers and or talent to play with. Such a great young player. A few nerves being this is his first taste of real playoff hockey. Last couple games he’s been fine, needs to find a way to score though.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

JimmyJiveJones

Jan 28, 2019
He was skating fine lastnight. His groin isnt injured.

Its his ego and feewings that are injured. Move this player as soon as as far away from this team before his new contract kicks in.

Like I said he will be bought out during this contract within the first 5 years. Management couldn't just wait to see him during the playoffs could they?

A gutless 8M dollar complimentary player getting paid 11.6..Major mistake.
The way hes played, We'd be selling at an all time low on him. But i 100% agree that management really f***ed up by pushing him into this contract. Like what were they were afraid was gonna happen? Was he gonna take his game to an even higher level and for him to ask for 12-13mil? Not likely. Imo 11.6 was the absolute most he would of gotten if everything was going his way but he got that while he was in a slumping, and slumping hard.

Anyways last game i did think Petey played alil better. He was playing abit better off the rush, i saw him try some dipsie doodles along the boards which means alil bit of confidence is coming back.. Its in this clubs best interest to for him to do well. maybe its time for him to ride Miller and Boesers coattails. Its not like Suter has has been playing great along side them.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
You jumped into this initially because I said I would be shocked if he wasn't injured. If injuries weren't worth debating, you wouldn't have responded.
My point was that I didn’t think further debate would be helpful. I’ve already provided reasons why I think it is dubious that injury explains away his struggles. And you haven’t refuted or attempted to refute all of these reasons so I won’t bother repeating myself.

I don't see why his injury status isn't worth debating but armchair psychology is a great topic to focus on instead. There's tangible indications that he's injured, there's no tangible evidence that's it's all about his emotional state.
There isn’t tangible indications as far as I have seen. As far as I have seen it’s basically pure speculation. The same speculation that was present two years ago and was expressly refuted by Pettersson when it was put to him.

I haven’t really gotten into the “why” he’s slumping. I’ve just expressed doubt that it’s because he’s injured.

Interestingly Boudreau was just asked about Pettersson’s struggles:

He actually specifically references confidence as to why he thinks Pettersson is slumping, and why he thought Pettersson slumped two years ago. He notably doesn’t make reference to any injury, and you can bet that if he was injured last time and that that injury was the reason for Pettersson’s slump, that Boudreau would have shared that and speculated that since Boudreau is obviously a big fan of Pettersson and this would help to excuse his play.

So ya, I think Boudreau probably has a way better idea as to why Pettersson is slumping than you do.

I'm not arguing with people who just think Pettersson is slumping, we all know that. I have a problem with the narrative being pushed that it's 100% about his emotional state and that's the only thing effecting his performance. It's objectively not true and that's something that the people pushing this narrative will never acknowledge.
I mean, this post looks pretty out of touch given the Boudreau interview. Personally, I don’t think I’ve speculated as to why he’s slumping, but I will defer to Boudreau on this.

Also, lots of people have been defending Pettersson’s play.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Agree that he's been pretty much playing the same way the whole year, even when he was putting up points.

That said, as an established Pettersson hater, I did really like that he was really pumped about the win, didn't sulk that he had nothing to do with it and was really excited to celebrate with his teammates. It wasn't all about himself.
This leaves me lost for words...

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I don’t know how you can confidently say his struggles aren’t physical because they certainly look physical. He’s barely shooting the puck despite having one of the best shots on the team. He’s struggled since like February, this is not a mental playoff issue.
Agree. SHL crowds are probably louder than Vancouver, especially in the playoffs.

And he led the team in scoring to the SHL championship as a what 19 yr old?

Its not about nerves... I dont understand how people are reading EP so wrong.

Also, lots of people have been defending Pettersson’s play.
Ill just say this.

If this season is his low point. And he scores ~90p and consistently out scores his opponents 5on5 with bottom sixers as wingers, he is a super star and worth every penny he just signed.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
He needs a shrink.

We’ve seen EP take control over games. We’ve seen him single handedly carry us in games last season. I mean how many times has he put up 4 or 5 points in a game? He has at least 3-4 5 point games in his career.

But then I look around the league and..

Mackinnon has Rantanen, Nichuskin, and Lehkonen.
Matthews has Nylander, Marner, and Tavares.
Kucherov has Point, Stamkos, Hedman, and Hagel.
Draisaitl has McDavid, RNH, and Hyman.
Tkachuk has Barkov, Reinhart, Verhaege.
Aho has Guentzel, Necas, Svechnikov, Teravainen.
Pastrnak has Coyle, Marchand, Zacha. Previously had Bergeron.
Eichel has Marchessault, Hertl, Stone.
Panarin has Zibanejad, Kreider, Lafreniere.
Robertson has Hintz, Pavelski, sometimes plays with Johnston.

Pettersson has Hoglander and Mikheyev. I mean ffs, he needs top 6 players to play with that can hold their own weight while also being able to elevate each other. Hoglander does his own thing 90% of the time. He’s a terrible puck handler and his game revolves around forechecking and energy. Mikheyev is a one and done player, nowhere near a top 6 forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad