Is Jonathan Toews a more Complete Player than Sergei Fedorov?

Stevonidas

Wanna go pretty boy?
Jul 14, 2007
The Lone Star State
Fedorov never got his own billboard. Towes may not have had him at defense or offense but billboards he was at another level

blackhawks-mural.jpg

That's not Toews; that's Tyler Kennedy.

TANK200

Nov 13, 2007
Jonathan Toews is easily the most complete player since expansion, arguably the most complete player of all time.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Jonathan Toews is easily the most complete player since expansion, arguably the most complete player of all time.

By expansion you mean the one 15 years ago when Minnesota and Columbus got their teams, right? And when you say "of all time" you assume the world didn't exist prior to the 1990s and all the history books lie, correct?

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Since you said you never watched Sergei Federov in his prime and have only watched hockey since the 2005 lockout, and you think the comparison is close, then... yes, really.

Yah but I meant based on my limited viewing it's a pretty clear answer. Not my fault if I'm younger than everyone in this thread.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Only if trying to break players ankles is considered a hockey skill.

Yeah, Clarke won multiple Hart trophies over Bobby freaking Orr for his ankle-breaking abilities. Not to sidetrack the thread (Fedorov over Towes all day), but Clarke is definitely up there as one of the greatest two-way forwards in the history of the sport. Clarke put up historic seasons where other teams pretty much never scored against the Flyers when he was out on the ice.

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
Yah but I meant based on my limited viewing it's a pretty clear answer. Not my fault if I'm younger than everyone in this thread.

If you haven't viewed Fedorov in his prime, then you're not really qualified to give an answer, are you?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Personally, he's the only player I would pay money just to watch him skate around the ice.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Except that Toews isnt as good offensively, defensively and a worse skater than Fedorov.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Enough of this 4th line stuff. Toews is a great player in his own right, he wouldn't have been a 4th line player. He more than likely would have played the wing in the top 6. He's a smart enough player to adjust to the wing, so lets stop throwing him on the 4th line because of the legendary grind line that he would have never been able to crack.

Russian Line
Shanny - Yzerman - Hull
Grind Line
4th Line

Sorry, where does Toews fit again?

That's right, on the 4th line, with Datsyuk.

He'd supplant Cleary, or Maltby.

:P

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Russian Line
Shanny - Yzerman - Hull
Grind Line
4th Line

"Fourth liner because of existing chemistry" and "fourth liner because of relative skill" are very different things. Do keep this in mind.

Yes, the OP premise is completely absurd, but that's no reason to toss absurdity right back.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Russian Line
Shanny - Yzerman - Hull
Grind Line
4th Line

Clearly you are misremembering history. The Russian line was an 90s line. Since you've mentioned Datsyuk on the 4th line, that means you are talking about the 2001-02 team, a team without Kozlov.
Toews fits nicely into the top 6 in this group. As the poster above me has touched on, trying to match absurdity with absurdity is ignorant. Don't be foolish, Toews isn't a 4th line player even on this great Detroit team, although you made a good effort in mixing different Wings teams from the 90's and 2000's together to help make your case. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad