Is Jonathan Toews a more Complete Player than Sergei Fedorov?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
tumblr1.jpg

There is no "I" in Datsyuk either.

Heck flip the w in Toews and then you got a Me somewhere in there. :naughty:

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Yeah. Not better, but more complete.

I love the "can't hold his jock strap" type posts.:help:

Complete how?

Fedorov was better offensively and defensively. And when you further break those down into individual components - like skating, shooting - he's ahead in those areas as well.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I think we can have this conversation the day coach Q decides to put Toews next to Keith or Seabrook on the blue line.

Until then, it is clearly Fedorov.

Bergeron37

Mar 16, 2010
Still.. Datsyuk has as much or just below Toews points right now in Less games.

Toews is really, really overrated unless Interwebs is lying 2me

But Pavel Datsyuk is also an all time great, so... not like that's a huge insult to Toews.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
If I see another ppg stat my head is gonna explode.
Toews only cares about competing for Cups , he doesnt care about useless stats.
There is no I in Toews.

Then why are you arguing about Toews be a better player then anybody? Team accomplishments mean squat when it comes individual talents.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Complete how?

Fedorov was better offensively and defensively. And when you further break those down into individual components - like skating, shooting - he's ahead in those areas as well.

Not saying it makes him more complete, but Toews is definitely better in the corners and going to the dirty areas around the net.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Not really, we should have the age posted under every username. I doubt most people on here watched Federov in his prime. If this were based on everyones limited viewing, the answers would be different. At least I'm honest about my reasons behind my opinion.

Source: I am 24 and haven't watched Federov during most of his career

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not saying it makes him more complete, but Toews is definitely better in the corners and going to the dirty areas around the net.

He does it with more regularity, but he actually isn't better at those either.

Sergei Fedorov is the most talented Red Wings player I have ever seen. I have seen prime Yzerman as well as I am old enough, another player that is better than Toews as a two way player....

A season ticket holder that used to sit next to us, would also say constantly he was better than Howe.... That is the caliber we are talking here.

Fedorov was dominant at everything. If you could build a freak hockey player you are looking at some combination of Lemieux, Fedorov and Lindros. Most of their traits would actually come from Fedorov as he could do everything including playing top pairing defense.

Very underrated about Fedorov was just how physical and direct his play could be. Yes you have the beautiful effortless end to end rushes, but a part of that is the way he would physically drive D-man right into the goalies lap often. He did a lot of down low and crease crashing work, he did it in an era where you could actually attempt to tackle the guy and they still couldn't because he was that solid on his skates. Forsberg is another guy with this quality in spades from that era.

I know we think obstruction is coming back in, but it is nowhere near the levels of back then. You went to the corners and crease and accepted a tremendous amount more punishment, but Fedorov went to those areas in particular the slot. Another thing about the corners is watch Sergei Fedorov the D-man in the corners, he wins the puck 90% of the time and crushed dudes there. On offense he is one of the greatest forecheckers I have ever witnessed.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Fedorov was immensely talented, but my one criticism would be that for a player of his talent, he could've given more during his prime. We gloss over this now, but Wings fans were incredibly frustrated with his effort at times.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Not really, we should have the age posted under every username. I doubt most people on here watched Federov in his prime. If this were based on everyones limited viewing, the answers would be different.

I doubt this is accurate.

At least I'm honest about my reasons behind my opinion.

Source: I am 24 and haven't watched Federov during most of his career

Yup you are honest that you have an uneducated opinion on this topic.. In other words; you don't have any idea what you are talking about.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I doubt this is accurate.

Yup you are honest that you have an uneducated opinion on this topic.. In other words; you don't have any idea what you are talking about.

I never claimed to have an accurate answer to this, I said my answer was based on my limited viewing in the first post. I don't know why everyone is overreacting lol...I never said my post was the decision maker

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Jonathan Toews is easily the most complete player since expansion, arguably the most complete player of all time.

Since which expansion? Certainly not the 67 expansion, as I can think of a Flyer that came along two years later that'd I'd take over Toews

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
If I see another ppg stat my head is gonna explode.
Toews only cares about competing for Cups , he doesnt care about useless stats.
There is no I in Toews.

Toews doesn't produce as good offensively because he's not as good offensively. It's not like he's just coasting out there. He's just not as good.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
Yeah. Not better, but more complete.

I love the "can't hold his jock strap" type posts.:help:

What makes him more complete? He's not better at offense or defense. A player that can play top pairing defense at an extremely high level, Put up more points, skate faster, stick handle better, shoot harder. seems to be a more complete player.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
I think we can have this conversation the day coach Q decides to put Toews next to Keith or Seabrook on the blue line.

Until then, it is clearly Fedorov.

Good one.

So I'm guessing you never watched Sergei Fedorov in his prime, right?

I thought the same. He was able to do things Toews simply can't.

Fedorov was immensely talented, but my one criticism would be that for a player of his talent, he could've given more during his prime. We gloss over this now, but Wings fans were incredibly frustrated with his effort at times.

I do recall that, but rarely. He probably had other things on his mind at times, the bevy of beautiful Russian babes he dated, certainly:laugh:

People who never saw him or have a bad memory are quick to forget that Fedorov is almost certainly one of the most complete 10 forwards, of any era, ever. Not much of a doubt. Considering that he was arguably the a top 3 skater, defender, shooter and puck handler at the same time, how the hell could he not be? I know he doesn't have the scoring trophies some people expect, but he put a lot of his energy into D, even while playing Center. If he had just focused on offense like some players are known to do, he'd have had 110 points in some seasons instead of about 80.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010

I think he was just playing the way Bowman wanted him to. I think Bowman kind of held him back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad