Is Jonathan Toews a more Complete Player than Sergei Fedorov?

ashenhigh

Aug 27, 2008
Los Angeles
Clearly you are misremembering history. The Russian line was an 90s line. Since you've mentioned Datsyuk on the 4th line, that means you are talking about the 2001-02 team, a team without Kozlov.
Toews fits nicely into the top 6 in this group. As the poster above me has touched on, trying to match absurdity with absurdity is ignorant. Don't be foolish, Toews isn't a 4th line player even on this great Detroit team, although you made a good effort in mixing different Wings teams from the 90's and 2000's together to help make your case. :sarcasm:

Lets just put this nonsense to bed.

Toews would have replaced Boyd Devereaux on the 2nd scoring line as a left winger.

Yzerman - Fedorov - Shannahan
Toews - Datsyuk - Hull
Robitaille - Larionov - Holmstrom
Maltby - Draper - McCarty

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI

Toews would have replaced Boyd Devereaux on the 2nd scoring line as a left winger.

Toews - Datsyuk - Hull

This.

He would've been a 2nd line winger or a 3rd line center.

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
Well like I said, it was an opinion based on my limited viewing. I never claimed to have seen both or said my answer will be the deciding factor of this thread.

If you haven't watched a player, at least read up on him and watch clips to build somewhat of an understanding of how good said player was. Otherwise, your opinion is literally worth zilch. You shouldn't even have an opinion on something you know nothing about.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
Fedorov was better at basically everything. Can't really think of any skill that Toews would have and edge on Fedorov at.

Honestly anyone who thinks they are comparable never watched Fedorov on the Redwings.

Captain And Coke

Apr 29, 2011
In my opinion, complete players have Frank Selke's and Lady Byng's in the case at home. Even if he is old now, I still think Pavel Datsyuk is a more complete player than Jonathan Toews.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I'll take the all Art Ross team over the all Selke team any day.

Why do you *need* a physical grind line? You're going to sacrifice having Toews on the team to add grit? That's exactly the line of thinking that made Markus Naslund a Canuck, instead of a Penguin.

Well I do to but Toews has never been close to an art ross winner so that argument is moot.

If you dont know the history of the Red Wings grind line I suggest you look up "1995 Devils Crash line" on google. And I never wrote I would leave Toews off a team because of Draper. I wrote that Toews wouldnt play on the grind line. And comparing Draper to Stojanov is beyond stupid.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Toews - Datsyuk - Hull

That looks fine and dandy except that Devereaux and Datsyuk didnt play second line minutes. In the playoffs your 4th line was the 2nd line. At ES ofc

Meaning

Shanahan - Yzerman - Fedorov
Robitaille - Larionov - Holmström
Toews - Datsyuk - Hull

Have Toews ever skated regularly on the wing btw?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
so why does toews get so much more praise than someone like Kopitar? Both are basically clones, statistically. Both have similar "intangibles". Hell, even Bergeron is as good as towes and kopitar imo.

edit: nevermind, I just realized there was a whole thread discussing this

Last edited:

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Fedorov was better at basically everything. Can't really think of any skill that Toews would have and edge on Fedorov at.

Honestly anyone who thinks they are comparable never watched Fedorov on the Redwings.
toews is better on draws, and very likely shootouts. also seems to be better at shooting high quickly from in close.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
(toews) also seems to be better at shooting high quickly from in close.

and fedorov is better at deking around tsunamis while riding a unicycle with 14 hats on his head that are connected to a micro-gravitationally powered electrocution gyroscope with 3 bumblebees sitting on the brim of one of them

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
If I see another ppg stat my head is gonna explode.
Toews only cares about competing for Cups , he doesnt care about useless stats.
There is no I in Toews.

You do realise that they have the same amount of cups right? :naughty:

Nomahe

Apr 25, 2015
toews is better on draws, and very likely shootouts. also seems to be better at shooting high quickly from in close.

Just stop!

There's nothing Toews can do as well as Fedorov on the ice. Nothing.

Fedorov isn't just a generalization player but a historical one. Toews is not only not a generalization player but arguably not even the best player on his own team! Fedorov was the best on the Wings even when there was only 6 HOF's or when they had 10. He was the best on the Wings and the greatest player to ever play for the Wings. (Barring Lidstrom or Hasek if you count less tenure)

Just Fricken stop already with the Toews and Fedorov comparisons already. Please. It's not even close.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
There is no I in Toews.

tumblr1.jpg

There is no "I" in Datsyuk either.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
If you haven't watched a player, at least read up on him and watch clips to build somewhat of an understanding of how good said player was. Otherwise, your opinion is literally worth zilch. You shouldn't even have an opinion on something you know nothing about.

Well I do have one, I've always been known for being opinionated.

Lindros_for_rizzle_

Oct 20, 2005
Oh boy, this has gone too far. Fedorov was on the level of Orr, Gretzky, Lindros. Fedorov was robbed on 3 or 4 Conn Smythes simply because he´s Russian. Don´t ever do this comparison again.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
Fedorov in his prime:

- Hardest shot in NHL (won comp)
- Fastest Skater in NHL (won comp)
- Multiple Selke winner
- Finished 2nd in points in Gretzky

Toews isn't there....

And it's important to notice, Fedorov was the fastest skater in the NHL, while Pavel frickin' Bure was there aswell.

Teows is a good player, but he isn't as good as Sergei Fedorov.

jimmyemery

Dec 20, 2014
Hahaha.
This is madness.
If Sergei had Toews' attitude he would've been the second greatest player to ever play the game, that couldve shut down Gretzky if they played head to head(I say could have, because gretzky had lost a step when feds was shutting him down)

But no.
Ha.
not even close.

Not even if there was a fire.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Well I do have one, I've always been known for being opinionated.

Having an opinion is great, it's something that we all enjoy. However when expressing a self admittedly uneducated opinion such as this...

As a 24 year old who has only been watching since the lockout, I'd have to say it's close.

...will only serve to make you look foolish. Hence why I gave you props for at least giving full disclosure that you don't have any clue what you're talking about

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
There is no I in Toews.

Is there anything he can quantifiably do better?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->