Is it time for Paul Maurice to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I'm not a huge Maurice fan, but there's no reason to get rid of him right now.
I'd get rid of the goaltending coach though.
I agree. Now is not the time. But if they make a lifeless first round exit, he has to go. I do believe this is the best roster in the league....or very close to it.

Reactions: jetsforever

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Team has been without Buff and Ehlers for a month, Hellebuyck has been so-so and Laine is in a mega-slump, but they lead their division and are top 4 in the NHL. It's one of the youngest rosters in the NHL.

Reactions: Duke749

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Claude Julien was once fired, right before the playoffs, after leading the Devils to the playoffs. Claude Julien is 10x the coach Maurice is.

Reactions: thegr8one66

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
I guess the best thing they could do going in to the next season is trading a 1st round pick+Laine for Draisaitl. Then they would have a high end center player that can also play as a winger. An absolute reliable workhorse that scores just as good as Laine. Plus there is no downside, he doesn't entirely stop performing for 75% of the season.

The Oilers get worse in that deal lol...then they really become a one line team and you’re likely paying Laine similar money if not more

LD29

Jan 19, 2019
The Oilers get worse in that deal lol...then they really become a one line team and you’re likely paying Laine similar money if not more
They would temporarily get worse, true. But they would also get a first round pick with my suggestion. It is not like the Oilers have any realistic chance to go anywhere in the Playoffs, unlikely this is going to change already by next season. With an extremely streaky Laine who can produce a pretty nice amount of goals and a first rounder, the deal doesn't seem to be too unfair.

But as this thread is about Paul Maurice: No, he doesn't need to go. He need to fix a few things that are wrong with the Jets. And currently, there is nothing more wrong with the Jets than Laine. Draisaitl is much more trustworthy and constant. Plus he can also play as a center, the position he actually plays. He would upgrade the Jets qutie heavily.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Maurice is the league average coach. He's not bad, he's not great. He plays the game like it is supposed to be played, isn't a stubborn old mule, but doesn't really innovate anything either. The best coaches will outcoach him, but that won't matter as long as the players outplay their opposition.

I think the Jets roster gets severely overrated. It is rather dysfunctional, lacks key pieces (for example a viable 2nd center), and has a bunch of players who are wildly inconsistent, Laine being only one of them. Fortunately for them, when one players goes cold, another usually gets hot. Recently, Roslovic picked up some of Laine's slack.

By no means is it the easiest roster to manage. Maurice has done a half-decent job at it, somebody could have done better, but many would have done worse. A lot of young guys there who struggle to play consistently, and veterans who often set a bad example with their undisciplined actions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flair Hay

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

He clearly isn't the man to take this team to the cup. The Jets have one of the best rosters in the league and I'm shocked he lasted this long but he ain't it, chief.

His regular season record since the start of the 2017-18 season is 86-37-13 for a .680 points%, and he got his team to the Western conference finals last season, when they had never even won a single playoff game before that in the franchise history. They are currently in 1st place in their division and are 6-3-1 in their last 10 games. Under what similar circumstances has a coach been fired previously?

Reactions: Ibanezrokr

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
They would temporarily get worse, true. But they would also get a first round pick with my suggestion. It is not like the Oilers have any realistic chance to go anywhere in the Playoffs, unlikely this is going to change already by next season. With an extremely streaky Laine who can produce a pretty nice amount of goals and a first rounder, the deal doesn't seem to be too unfair.

But as this thread is about Paul Maurice: No, he doesn't need to go. He need to fix a few things that are wrong with the Jets. And currently, there is nothing more wrong with the Jets than Laine. Draisaitl is much more trustworthy and constant. Plus he can also play as a center, the position he actually plays. He would upgrade the Jets qutie heavily.

That first would be extremely low

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Pittsburgh's 1st/2nd Cups with Crosby & Co both happened with a coaching change partway through the season.

So if they think they can get a better coach (e.g. Quenneville), they shouldn't not pull the trigger just because of concerns over timing.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Jets succeed in spite of Maurice, not because of him.
This is impossible statement.

You have no idea how big a role the coach plays on a team. The coach is not only the one who draws up the plays, not only the one who plans the practices, not only the one who sets the mood for the team before, during, and after games, not only the one who monitors their progress, not only the one who draws lines, and not only the one who designs schedules and regulates player activity, but also the guy who arbitrates disputes between players, and fosters camaraderie on the team. He's the guy who stands in between the players and the media or negative fans after a rough game. He waits patiently as stars lie injured on the sidelines. He's the fall guy so that others can focus on the task at hand.

The phrase "X succeed in spit of Y, not because of Y" refers to players. A team can succeed despite a single player on a 23 man roster, or perhaps two players who don't buy into the system, don't do their part, don't do their job. If a coach doesn't do his job, the team loses.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
His regular season record since the start of the 2017-18 season is 86-37-13 for a .680 points%, and he got his team to the Western conference finals last season, when they had never even won a single playoff game before that in the franchise history. They are currently in 1st place in their division and are 6-3-1 in their last 10 games. Under what similar circumstances has a coach been fired previously?
Claude Julien.

Julien guided New Jersey to a 47-24-8 record in his first season coaching the club. The team's 102 points are tied for sixth-best in the league.

"I did not feel that we were going in the right direction, both mentally and hockey [-wise], going into the playoffs, for a variety of reasons," Lamoriello told the Canadian Press.

Devils fire head coach Claude Julien | CBC Sports

They put up a pathetic performance against the Canadiens, where their response was to blame their play and not give credit to their opponent, and they respond by putting up another pathetic performance [so far] against one of the worst teams in the league, in Ottawa.

If you think that's the guy to take the Jets all the way, you're simply in denial.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Maurice is the league average coach. He's not bad, he's not great. He plays the game like it is supposed to be played, isn't a stubborn old mule, but doesn't really innovate anything either. The best coaches will outcoach him, but that won't matter as long as the players outplay their opposition.

I think the Jets roster gets severely overrated. It is rather dysfunctional, lacks key pieces (for example a viable 2nd center), and has a bunch of players who are wildly inconsistent, Laine being only one of them. Fortunately for them, when one players goes cold, another usually gets hot. Recently, Roslovic picked up some of Laine's slack.

By no means is it the easiest roster to manage. Maurice has done a half-decent job at it, somebody could have done better, but many would have done worse. A lot of young guys there who struggle to play consistently, and veterans who often set a bad example with their undisciplined actions.

He'a not stubborn? He lacks creativity imo. Keeps things the way they are. And when eh switches he mostly just switches back and forth til one the lines click again

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I haven't been a fan of Maurice before. He gives all-star caliber interviews and seems like a very knowledgeable dude but sometimes i don't agree with his seemingly simple-minded approach.

That said, he's grown on me over the last year or two. He got this team where they are now. Why make a change ?

I don't think there's a whole lot he can do differently with the team. You can always be more creative and try different things but to be fair he's tried a bunch over the last couple years. I can't blame him for icing a lineup that he thinks gives him the best chance to win. And there's always behind the scenes stuff involved too, who the players like to play with etc.

Bottom line is, the team has an identity. And that's really important. Maurice is a big reason why that's in place.

I think if we want to get better, it comes down to the players and management. Laine taking a significant step forward would do more for this team than a coaching change ever will.

Players respect him. Things haven't gotten stale in that regard. As long as the guys in the room continue to buy in, you don't fire him.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Claude Julien.

Devils fire head coach Claude Julien | CBC Sports

They put up a pathetic performance against the Canadiens, where their response was to blame their play and not give credit to their opponent, and they respond by putting up another pathetic performance [so far] against one of the worst teams in the league, in Ottawa.

If you think that's the guy to take the Jets all the way, you're simply in denial.
So this is what this is all about. You wanted him to saw something nice about your team.

Boy the Habs played well! Does that make you feel better about things?

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
So this is what this is all about. You wanted him to saw something nice about your team.

Boy the Habs played well! Does that make you feel better about things?
It doesn't matter since the the Jets got their butts whooped. But that post game interview was telling of a man who isn't going to lead the jets to the cup.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It doesn't matter since the the Jets got their butts whooped. But that post game interview was telling of a man who isn't going to lead the jets to the cup.
Seriously you make a thread because you are mad at another team's coach? Yeah we got beat bad, lucky for you that hasn't happened to your team :sarcasm:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
If there's a better coach available this summer and the Jets got kicked out of playoffs early then sure. But right now it would make no sense as mediocre as Maurice might be.

Reactions: Flair Hay

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
He'a not stubborn? He lacks creativity imo. Keeps things the way they are. And when eh switches he mostly just switches back and forth til one the lines click again

Stubbornness is literally his worst trait imo. Are we talking about the same mule?

He's stubborn with the line-ups he plays with (or maybe just not creative with them), but as far as strategy goes, he has moved on from the old days unlike some of the old-timer coaches. He does have his guys playing modern-day NHL hockey, instead of forcing them to play slow or overtly defensive.

But yeah, I definitely agree that his lack of creativity with mixing up lines, is probably his worst trait. He has his go-to lines, and that's about it. However I think that the Jets' lack of center depth is a problem, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce