Is it time for Paul Maurice to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

He clearly isn't the man to take this team to the cup. The Jets have one of the best rosters in the league and I'm shocked he lasted this long but he ain't it, chief.

With that roster I’d expect more and usually that’s on the coach. I watch the Jets when I can because they have such an amazing roster. A good coach gets results greater than the sum of the parts. I’m not sure Maurice is doing that. He seems to keep them pulling together as a team and getting along. But I dont think he’s the one to get them to the next level. His track record says so, too. But I guess we could have said the same about Trotz until a few months ago.

Reactions: RabidOne

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Honestly not a fan of his. I think there are certainly better coaches, however the team is winning so now isn't really the time. He should have been let go before the 2017 season.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Even thought Laine is struggling like crazy. Just having him on that hashmark opens up the entire Powerplay.

I thought it was a really really stupid decision. Both announcers in today's game brought it up about how much easier they are to defend, and how winnipeg is making it easier on teams with this decision.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I wanted to get some takes from non-Jets fans. If you are not a Jets fan, please feel free to state your opinion on Paul Maurice and his coaching style. Do you think he is a good fit for the Jets, or do you think the Jets could have accomplished more with a different coach?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tough to say

He's been there a long time, so you'd think his time is winding down. They have made the playoffs in 3 of his 5 full seasons there (obviously this doesn't mean he's a good head coach or that he's a significant reason for them making the playoffs) and made the conference finals once, but got swept in one of those years and a first round elimination in another one of those years. So the results haven't been great, but they haven't been bad and I think the idea was that the Jets were still rebuilding during those years where they missed the playoffs during his tenure and didn't really have goaltending worth a damn until they let Hellebuyck run with it in 17-18 and Pavelsuck's contract finally expired.

It's a tough call for me. I don't think firing him would make the team worse, that's for sure. Unless they brought in someone like Randy Carlyle or maybe Dan Bylsma or Bob Hartley. Would it make them better? I can't say that for sure.

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
They should keep him. You cant ask for much more out of that sorry group of players. Give him a lifetime contract.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Who do you replace him with though?

I don't think he's a good coach but the team really let him down in game 6. The second period was outright pathetic.

In the end, that type of effort will make any coach look like an amateur.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
No, they should not.

He just cannot establish a proper hierarchy. The vets get favored, the younger players get annoyed, the room becomes dysfunctional. And he doesn't have a whole lot of authority.

Reactions: irunthepeg

DM81

Apr 21, 2019

He clearly isn't the man to take this team to the cup. The Jets have one of the best rosters in the league and I'm shocked he lasted this long but he ain't it, chief.

Maurice and Huddy have to be let go if the Jets ever want to get out of the First round again. After this season maybe folks can see the regression and the fact the Jets might not even make the playoffs next season, or be at best a Wild Card team.

Maurice is the Jeff Fisher of the NHL - Mediocrity at best.

Maurice is very intelligent and is a great speaker (Media Darling as he gives great quotes, has a calming voice and knows how to control his image in the news). A coach doesn't stick around for this long without being good at covering his behind. As mentioned on this thread - He treats vets and leaders in the room very well to keep them happy = stable job.

Before last season the pundits always pointed to never having a "great goalie" as the reason that he never won anything. Will the Blind jets fans finally see that he hangs his goalies out to dry? Every other season he has been coach his teams have been near the top, or at the top at shots allowed. His systems force the goalie to make continual high quality saves.

Between him and Huddy, the jets give up multiple odd man rushes, play a man system that is exploited by almost every other coach, can't get the puck out of their own zone, cant make controlled zone entries, have a terrible takeaway-giveaway ratio, leans hard on one line and not rolling 4, has trouble developing youth as per previous points (He leans on stars and plays "his guys" way too much.

Take a look at media clips before his second firing in Carolina - Here is a spoiler - They are the same as ones from this year and last.

I want to cheer for the Jets but its difficult as they won't go far under his current structure. They aren't quite good enough yet and losing another pick at the deadline was silly - They should have stayed put like the Islanders.

They were lucky last playoffs playing a Wild team missing their Norris caliber D and one of their top Forwards - Then playing a playoff Rinne that is obviously near the end of his career - All their flaws were then exposed by the Knights.

Jets have regressed. They are in the position of 2015-2016 or the 2016-2017 team but will be up against the cap. Not the direction this team should be heading. Chevy and Maurice have put them back 2-3 years but with salaries of again players and a ton of RFA yet to be signed.

Roster is going to look very different next year as to meet the cap they are going to graduate a lot of youth. Hopefully they can keep Lindholm and Beaulieu after they were snubbed in this playoffs. There is no way Ehlers should have played that injured.

Go jets go but lets make some changes.

Reactions: amethyst
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I think Maurice is a helluva coach. I believe when it all comes out, we will find out the Jets had a lot of guys playing with significant injuries.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Give him a reasonable chance to improve the team next season. If he doesn't show any adjustments, get rid of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad