Is Elias Lindholm Overrated; Was Vancouver's Chemistry Interrupted?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I think Lindholm definitely got "overrated" by a lot of people during those years where he was in a perfect situation for himself, getting to play the quiet, savvy, positionally sound, two-way "facilitator" role with guys like Gaudreau/Tkachuk. That's always been what he is. He's not a real high end super creative offensive driver and catalyst. But he's really ideally suited to just play a role as the defensive conscience that lets more dynamic offensive creators take risks and play their games. He's alo got more than enough skill, smarts, and anticipation to jump in and out of the offense, keep plays moving, and pick up plenty of points while doing so.

Expecting more than that would've been a mistake and "overrating" him. But that's more or less what the Canucks needed. So i'm not too worried about that.

The bigger problem is just unfortunate timing where he's arrived during a stretch where the Canucks have hit a bit of a natural skid. They've got some key players slumping and playing some sloppy hockey too many nights. They've also got too many guys who on any given night, have seemed to stray too far from Tocchet's system. And to top it off...some of the depth scoring they were getting at a pretty bonkers rate has in fact...dried up, as depth scoring often does, running hot and cold by it's nature.

It's not really anything Lindholm did. Just unfortunate optics with the timing...and with the price paid, some people are expecting him to shoulder responsibility that never really should be expected of him. So he's having a little bit of trouble finding exactly where he fits on a new team where a lot of the other established guys are also having the same issues right now. I'm still pretty confident they'll get it figured out sooner or later. :dunno:

On top of all this it should be noted we lost two key players to injuries. Soucy may not seem like a big loss at first but his defensive game not only complimented Myers and Zadorov perfectly, it allowed us to ease minutes on everyone else. Cole has been exceptional... when he's firmly in a 5th defensive role and not being played as a top 3.

And then Joshua going down threw off the insane chemistry our third line had. When Miller, Boeser or Petey were having some slow starts, you could pretty much depend on the "misfits" to keep us going. We don't have that gelling now and it's been a mishmash of rookies or journeymen filling the spot.

While Lindholm has been a disappointment thus far, it's less to do with him and more everything slowing down at once.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
Getting kind of nervous as a Canucks fan. Hopefully the Canucks do not crash out of a playoff spot.
Nah, they'll be fine making it to the playoffs.

Where they end up may be a different question, and a first round exit is a very plausible possibility with the way they've been playing lately.

I'll change my mind if they can put up a decent fight and actually grab a couple wins in their tough upcoming schedule.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
This always happens with teams going all in it feels like. Look at the Devils and Meier. I still support the idea behind the move, I just always knew this could happen.

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
PDO predicts sustainability over time. All teams have downs during a year. Fortunately, this isn't the playoffs.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The Canucks just need to have their entire roster shooting 20%+ again. Totally doable.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
The Canucks just need to have their entire roster shooting 20%+ again. Totally doable.

Or a relaxed schedule the last few months with multiple rest days while playing tired teams like the oilers. Instead van leads the league in games played and road games and has for awhile.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Or a relaxed schedule the last few months with multiple rest days while playing tired teams like the oilers. Instead van leads the league in games played and road games and has for awhile.

Lindholm also joined the team right before a 17 day road trip with 10 games and multiple back to backs

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
The inevitable PDO and sh% regression is being blamed on this trade? Lmao

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Lindholm has been hit or miss so far, games where he's great & looks like a big addition, other games where he's a non-factor, but his baseline is much higher than Kuzmenko combined with not having him committed beyond this season makes the trade worthwhile.

Right now he's centering his own line, which they did when Horvat was around (3 star C's on different lines). Personally I thought he was looking good with Petey before it was split up, but I'd also really like to see him with Miller. They can matchup against guys & Miller seems to be dragging everyone into the fight right now.

I wouldn't be against bringing him back, maybe this poor season kills his ability to land a Horvat type deal & you can get him at something far more reasonable. Having another reliable high end C has been really nice, even though its not been perfect thus-far.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Too early to say and I think the overall return for him wasn’t that great anyways. Canucks probably won’t resign and that’s fine, he could be the difference in a playoff series win

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
The inevitable PDO and sh% regression is being blamed on this trade? Lmao
It's not a regression, their PDO since the all star break is well well below 100. Does everyone really think Pettersson stays in this slump? That the Canucks PP is going to stay at a 7% clip?

They've actually controlled play 5v5 better than prior to the all-star break.

Reactions: Regal

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
He's a smart player and he reads the game quick and well enough to make himself useful in any given situation, but I think the biggest thing that stands out is he isn't winning board battles to keep possession on offense. Miller is absurdly good at this and its an underrated aspect of Pettersson's game as well, so it stands out when he's with either of them.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
What's going on here is the same thing that goes on on the Canucks board from to time.

Boeser's not playing well. Time to trade him before his value sinks more.
Pettersson's not playing well. Time to trade him before his value sinks more.
Demko's not playing well. Time to trade him before his value sinks more.
J.T. Miller's not playing well. He's a bum.

And in some of the above cases the slumps weren't even long in duration.

Yea, if management listened to Canucks' fans Vancouver would consist of little more than one star defenceman. Instead, the Canucks still have all of the above four players — and all of them all stars.

Sports fans have little patience. Lindholm and the Canucks will be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luc Labelle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad