Is Elias Lindholm Overrated; Was Vancouver's Chemistry Interrupted?

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
It’s a interesting case, he was very solid in his prime but didn’t get much of appreciation for it and the moment he starts getting that appreciation he falls off. Can a player go from underappreciated to overrated in a season?

Imo he has entered the downswing of his career and him not being what Canucks needed makes him look even worse.

Reactions: Tofveve

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I thought he was decent in his first few games here, but he's been slumping with the entire team. And good players slump, but they don't slump like this. Hopefully with better results, his play starts to pick up and he gets there mentally again... but he'll be kicking himself for not taking a reported 9M AAV contract.

Reactions: SI90 and Tofveve

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Zero chance Lindholm is getting the retirement contract he wanted at this pace.

Alvin grabbed a player he thought would compliment Pettersson but they haven't clicked. And at this point, Lindholm hasn't really clicked with anyone.

There's still lots of time. 20+ games and the playoffs to change the narrative. But so far it's been a bad trade for Vancouver with the only positive that Kuzmenko's 5+M is off the books for next year.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I keep hearing this line in my mind from some CGY fans. Sorry to beat an old drum.

Matthew Tkachuk was carried by Lindholm and Gaudreau.

Tkachuk plays with Bennett and Nick Cousins.

Lindholm is severely overrated. He had 2 good seasons but was arguably a really good 2C propped up by his linemates.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
You can't judge trades right away like this. Moving to a new team, brings not only new teammates, but new coach, new style, new role/usage, and expecting every player to immediately gel have chemistry with new teammates right away shouldn't be expected. Lots of players struggle when they first go somewhere new.

Bo Horvat looked not great for NYI last season after the trade, and this season he looks good.
He's a rental, of course the trade will be judged early as it should be.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
I keep hearing this line in my mind from some CGY fans. Sorry to beat an old drum.

Matthew Tkachuk was carried by Lindholm and Gaudreau.

Tkachuk plays with Bennett and Nick Cousins.

Lindholm is severely overrated. He had 2 good seasons but was arguably a really good 2C propped up by his linemates.

I don't think that's a fair take on what the Calgary base said. I mean, I am sure that you can find a few people - especially ones that were jaded after Tkachuk forced his way out.

The vast majority of Flames fans loved Tkachuk and saw him as a superstar. Watching the "best line in hockey", you could see that Gaudreau stirred the drink on that line. Tkachuk, however, did his fair share of stirring. Lindholm was looked upon mostly as the guy 'doing all the heavy defensive lifting'. I actually somewhat disagreed, as I saw both Tkachuk AND Gaudreau coming back on defence hard. I know I had Tkachuk pegged for many more PPG seasons in Florida. I didn't have him quite pegged at repeating the three digit mark, but that's not quite the same thing as saying he was carried. I am sure that there are many people in your own fanbase that have weird takes on players, especially when emotions are at play. Believe me, when Gaudreau left and Tkachuk forced his way out, of course people are going to be upset. Tkachuk was indeed loved in Calgary. Heck, Doughty is still booed whenever he touches the puck. If that doesn't tell you all you need to know, nothing else will. There will always be some differing opinions on players, but nobody thought Tkachuk was being carried. He hit over 70 points playing alongside Backlund on a checking line being matched up against the best players, and starting in the defensive zone almost exclusively. That's his 'worst case scenario' output.

As for Lindholm:

I wouldn't say he is the reason that the Canucks are stalling out. The Cancuks were terrible last year, and they are elite this year. Maybe the truth from both seasons was a bit more in the middle? Mabye something else is going on. Either way, Lindholm would only be imploding his own line, not the entire team. The Kadri line in Calgary was playing great, as was the Backlund line.

I just think that Gaudreau and Tkachuk really helped Lindholm get to 80+ points and 40+ goals. This doesn't mean Lindholm sucks - I mean, Lindholm did very well with Gaudreau-Monahan as well that first year, and James Neal completely neutered that Gaudreau-Monahan as both of those players had exactly zero points playing with Neal, so it isn't like 'anyone could have gotten those points'.

I would just wait and see if he bounces back. He has a lot of tools, and is sneaky strong and aggressive on checks. He has no weaknesses in his game. I can't even say he has poor IQ, as he gets to the right places. I don't know what is up with Lindholm, but he is even worse this season than he was when he took a big drop in points after Gaudreau and Tkachuk left town and he looked almost disinterested most nights. He looks visibly less interested this year, and I thought for sure he would have rebounded in Vancouver. He has all the tools to be successful. It amazes me that he isn't.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Vancouver was by far the luckiest team in the league on the 1st half.

You shouldn’t expect to be able to keep that up for the entire season& base your successa around it

Reactions: The90

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I don't think that's a fair take on what the Calgary base said. I mean, I am sure that you can find a few people - especially ones that were jaded after Tkachuk forced his way out.

The vast majority of Flames fans loved Tkachuk and saw him as a superstar. Watching the "best line in hockey", you could see that Gaudreau stirred the drink on that line. Tkachuk, however, did his fair share of stirring. Lindholm was looked upon mostly as the guy 'doing all the heavy defensive lifting'. I actually somewhat disagreed, as I saw both Tkachuk AND Gaudreau coming back on defence hard. I know I had Tkachuk pegged for many more PPG seasons in Florida. I didn't have him quite pegged at repeating the three digit mark, but that's not quite the same thing as saying he was carried. I am sure that there are many people in your own fanbase that have weird takes on players, especially when emotions are at play. Believe me, when Gaudreau left and Tkachuk forced his way out, of course people are going to be upset. Tkachuk was indeed loved in Calgary. Heck, Doughty is still booed whenever he touches the puck. If that doesn't tell you all you need to know, nothing else will. There will always be some differing opinions on players, but nobody thought Tkachuk was being carried. He hit over 70 points playing alongside Backlund on a checking line being matched up against the best players, and starting in the defensive zone almost exclusively. That's his 'worst case scenario' output.

As for Lindholm:

I wouldn't say he is the reason that the Canucks are stalling out. The Cancuks were terrible last year, and they are elite this year. Maybe the truth from both seasons was a bit more in the middle? Mabye something else is going on. Either way, Lindholm would only be imploding his own line, not the entire team. The Kadri line in Calgary was playing great, as was the Backlund line.

I just think that Gaudreau and Tkachuk really helped Lindholm get to 80+ points and 40+ goals. This doesn't mean Lindholm sucks - I mean, Lindholm did very well with Gaudreau-Monahan as well that first year, and James Neal completely neutered that Gaudreau-Monahan as both of those players had exactly zero points playing with Neal, so it isn't like 'anyone could have gotten those points'.

I would just wait and see if he bounces back. He has a lot of tools, and is sneaky strong and aggressive on checks. He has no weaknesses in his game. I can't even say he has poor IQ, as he gets to the right places. I don't know what is up with Lindholm, but he is even worse this season than he was when he took a big drop in points after Gaudreau and Tkachuk left town and he looked almost disinterested most nights. He looks visibly less interested this year, and I thought for sure he would have rebounded in Vancouver. He has all the tools to be successful. It amazes me that he isn't.

Exhibit A and B.

A healthy amount of CGY fans saying Tkachuk is a 70ish pt player away from Gaudreau and/or Lindholm.

I think Lindholm will find a groove and he's in a good spot being a 3C behind EP and Miller.
Not saying he's a bad player but he was severely overrated coming off those 2 good years IMO.
His play has nosedived since that 2021-22 season and Canucks should be cautious giving him anything over $7 to 7.5 million long term, especially given his point production will suffer and age is creeping up there.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Yeah, he was always a little overrated. Solid player but has never been the main driver on a line. But the Canucks should seriously consider moving him to wing; they'll probably get more offense out of him that way.

The Doctors Office

May 2, 2022
The 8 x $9M offer from Calgary that Lindholm turned down was likely his largest payday opportunity.

Underwhelmed while demanding too much, and cost himself a $72M retirement contract.

Reactions: tfwnogf and Tofveve

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I think we can all agree that vancouver is the weakest team currently holding a playoff spot

As for lindholm, he's a good player but hes just a complimentary side player, not sure he can foot much of the blame of the canucks tailspin
Not a Canucks fan by any means, but “we can all agree” ?

You yourself whined about trolling not so long ago.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Honestly, the bigger issue is Mikheyev. Yes, Kuzmenko had some bad turnovers and isn't as good defensively, but Mikheyev hasn't scored in 30 games and yet still gets time alongside Pettersson. The Canucks have been a better team with him out of the lineup than with it in him. As with any new player, it will take time to adjust to a new team and system. He also needs to get out of the bad mood he had when playing in Calgary.

Honestly, I think had Mikheyev been moved instead of Kuzmenko, the Canucks would have been better off.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
He turned down 9 million a year lmao. Is he even worth 7 now :laugh: If there's one lesson you learn from huberdeau, its that you take the money.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
If anybody watched him the past 1.5 years, he wasn't worth much. Looked like a complete passenger. Scary that this is a contarct year for him. He Klingberg'd himself.

Tocchet has even chucked him down on the 3rd line. Guy was doing one of his 20% Corsi nights yesterday getting hemmed in over and over.

this is accurate.

said it before the trade

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
He's a high end trigger man. Elite defensively. Great in the dot. Not the guy to stir the offense though.

Flames dodged a huge bullet with Lindholm turning down their overpayment of an offer.

There's zero chance Lindholm is the one causing Vancouver to lose games though.

Reactions: johan f

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Lindholm isn't to blame for the Canucks coming back down to earth recently. Couldn't expect the team to have a shooting % of 15 all year long.

Reactions: PuckG

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1