Is Corey Perry HOF worthy?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He's had an odd career. In Junior he was a big star. In the NHL he has two really big seasons (people remember 2011, but he was also elite in 2014) but was more of a good first line winger than a true star for most of his prime, though he does have five seasons as a top ten goal scorer.

His goal scoring fell off faster than I expected, but he's been a valuable veteran depth presence the last number of years.

He does check a lot of boxes. He's won some hardware, he's had team success on various different stages and his career stats are pretty nice.

He's more of a Hall of Very Good level player, but I won't be shocked if he is inducted into the HHOF eventually. I don't think Marleau belongs, but I'm pretty sure he'll be inducted due to his compiled stats and having the GP record.
In a nutshell he has the icing but lack the solid cake foundation.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Yes.

When he got bought out I thought no way those last 2 or 3 years were really poor even for the lower scoring the NHL had.

Then he gets with the stars and makes the finals.
Then he plays for Montreal - Finals
Then he plays for Tampa and gets 40 points in the regular season and you guess it made finals.
Tampa again gets 5 points in 6 games.

He gets in may not be a first ballot but will get in for his Hart year.

Reactions: Voight and Ol' Jase

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
A big part of HHOF calibre careers is having once been widely regarded as something like a top 10 player of the league (preferably for a sustained time). Not all fit this bill but they're more likely to have very big accumulated numbers, several rings or something else. Anderson and Rollins were waaay before my time and I don't care to educate myself about them right now but I don't think Theodore was ever considered even a top30 player in his prime -- other than maybe right after having won the Hart.

Lindros had all the hype in the world and delivered in terms of production and domination on the ice, was a top3 player in his peak and arguably top10 his whole prime.

Perry? He did make all those Team Canadas so that's a big feather in his cap but in terms of top players in the league, I'm not sure he was ever considered top10 in any given season, right? Obviously these top xx assesments aren't an exact science but you get the idea. Perry was always a bit less valuable than Getzlaf but was more durable of the two and scored more goals.
I think the bolded part is actually much lower on the actual HHOF checklist than the other prerequisites you mentioned. They seem much more likely to induct players with big career numbers that were never top-10 (Andreychuk, Gartner, Sundin, Turgeon, eventually Marleau) or players that are ''winners'' (Duff, Nieuwendyk, Gillies, Cheevers) than players who were actual top-10 for many years but didn't meet the other two criterias (Naslund, Kovalchuk, Kiprusoff).

Unfortunately, I think them looking primarily at top-10 rankings seems more like wishful thinking from us fans.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Stanley Cup Champion
Memorial Cup Champion
Olympic Gold 2x
World Juniors Gold
World Championship Gold
World Cup Of Hockey Champion
Hart Trophy and Rocket Richard Trophy

Pretty impressive career that most NHL players can only dream of. But is it enough to get into the Hall?

Everyone gets into the hall, so by their standards yes he’s worthy

But I don’t agree with how the hall of fame works, a true hall of fame wouldn’t have Perry in it

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Absolutely not
Hart winners tend to get in regardless.

Add to that his 19 seasons in the league, a Rocket Richard trophy and a Stanley Cup, and it's pretty likely he does eventually go in.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think the bolded part is actually much lower on the actual HHOF checklist than the other prerequisites you mentioned. They seem much more likely to induct players with big career numbers that were never top-10 (Andreychuk, Gartner, Sundin, Turgeon, eventually Marleau) or players that are ''winners'' (Duff, Nieuwendyk, Gillies, Cheevers) than players who were actual top-10 for many years but didn't meet the other two criterias (Naslund, Kovalchuk, Kiprusoff).

Unfortunately, I think them looking primarily at top-10 rankings seems more like wishful thinking from us fans.

From 1997-2007 Sundin was 4th in points. He was arguably the third best centre in the league during his prime.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Hart winners tend to get in regardless.

Add to that his 19 seasons in the league, a Rocket Richard trophy and a Stanley Cup, and it's pretty likely he does eventually go in.
It’s the 19 seasons. No big milestone numbers in all those years? Not enough.

Plus, you know, douchebag.

ETA - I say all the time your most important ability is your availability, but the point is so you can produce. 2 “HOF level” seasons out of 19 is not nearly enough.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
Those asterisks mean HOF btw. He’s getting in.
IMG_0579.jpeg

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
He is borderline for the NHL hall of fame, but the hockey hall of fame? Absofrickinglutly.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
He had that one season in 2010-11. Other than that, he only had one other season where he was a point per game (2013-14). Not to say he hasn’t had an impressive career, but his numbers don’t warrant him getting in IMHO.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad