Is Corey Perry HOF worthy?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
he definitely has a chance with his resume, but i think he ends up falling short. his numbers alone simply aren't good enough

Kristo

Dec 26, 2021
According to the Wiki page "Hart Memorial Trophy" there are only four former Hart winners (retired or dead) that aren't yet in the Hall of Fame. Henrik Sedin is one of them and he'll be inducted in the very near future. I'd say Corey Perry isn't a clear case, he lacks a little bit in career points total, but he has many other accomplishments (including the Hart). Usually three or four players get inducted into the Hall every year and there are several players that are ahead of Perry (including other players from his draft class; i'd say at least Bergeron, Getzlaf, Staal and Fleury). He will probably get inducted eventually, but probably not first ballot. A guy like Alfredsson should be in the Hall but he has been waiting for some years now.

Reactions: bh53
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
If he isn't you have to keep other players from late 2000s and 2010s out too.... Getzlaf, Toews, Staal, Giroux, etc.

Hall too easy to get into though

I think Getzlaf, Toews, and Staal are all just very easily ahead of Corey Perry in terms of careers. Giroux is/was a better player and more impactful throughout his career as well, he just doesn't have the Cup. Perry was a goal scorer who at 36 has just over 400 goals.

He will probably get in, because as you mention it's really easy to get in. When I was watching his career, he just always fell into the very good category to me. And he killed my team most of the time (Stars). It isn't Duck hate, either. Getzlaf is clearly a HOF player to me.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Certainly not.

I also fail to understand why people constantly include all those national accomplishments. If you are not from a traditional hockey country, you will never win anything. An exception for the Olympics.
I agree. It is doubly true for Canadians. Maybe it can boost a Finn or Swede's resume if there is an Olympic gold in there, but we all remember the role Perry played on those Canadian Olympic squads who were expected to win.

jalidi

Apr 5, 2012
He had the luck to be on a quite a few winning teams, getting two gold medals and a Cup, scored 400+ goals doing it (currently #101 all-time for NHL goal scoring, he'll likely finish #60-70 and 950+ points) and is a Triple Gold winner.

Like him or hate him, he's still one of the most decorated hockey players of all time. But it's that Hart and Rocket which'll tip the scales. He'll eventually get in.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If he isn't you have to keep other players from late 2000s and 2010s out too.... Getzlaf, Toews, Staal, Giroux, etc.

Hall too easy to get into though

What are you talking about here, only Toews and Getzlaf are HHOFers from this group and deservedly so and also have much better resumes than Corey Perry.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I have no doubt that Perry will be inducted into the Hall (because his resume superficially checks a lot of boxes). But here's a fun stat - the number of times each player placed higher than 30th in scoring:

- 10 times - John Tavares
- 9 times - Eric Staal
- 8 times - Ryan Getzlaf, Nicklas Backstrom, Keith Tkachuk, Claude Giroux, Jeremy Roenick
- 7 times - Blake Wheeler, Ray Whitney, Vincent Damphousse, Bernie Nicholls, Tyler Seguin, Jason Spezza
- 6 times - Phil Kessel, Ilya Kovalchuk, Dany Heatley, Joe Pavelski, Doug Weight
- 5 times - Markus Naslund, Jamie Benn, Vincent Lecavalier, Patrick Marleau, Rod Brind'Amour, Brad Richards
- 4 times - Jason Allison, Alex Tanguay, Thomas Vanek, Pavol Demitra, Kirk Muller, Rick Nash, Tony Amonte, Marian Gaborik, Milan Hejduk
- 3 times - Corry Perry

Of course, there's more to hockey than regular season scoring stats. At the same time, it doesn't exactly scream "Hall of Famer" for someone who ranks behind all of the above players by this metric.

Do you really think Perry will make the HHOF?

He has 2 first team all star selections then finishes of 5,6,8 and 9.

That might do it if he was a center but he is a winger.

Also he only has 2 seasons top 10 in scoring and 5 top 10 in goals.

But the bar for wingers is also quite low (looking at the 70s wingers) but IMO Rick Middleton is a more HHOF worthy player and I doubt that he gets in.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Do you really think Perry will make the HHOF?

He has 2 first team all star selections then finishes of 5,6,8 and 9.

That might do it if he was a center but he is a winger.

Also he only has 2 seasons top 10 in scoring and 5 top 10 in goals.

But the bar for wingers is also quite low (looking at the 70s wingers) but IMO Rick Middleton is a more HHOF worthy player and I doubt that he gets in.

Do I think he deserves to be in the Hall? No way. Do I think he'll be inducted because his resume checks a lot of boxes? Yes, very likely. To quote myself from another thread:

I've posted a variation of this several times - Corey Perry will almost certainly make the Hall of Fame because his resume checks a lot of boxes. But the entire case is superficial, and falls apart upon a closer look.
  • Hart trophy? Yes, Perry won the Hart, which is the single most prestigious award anyone can win. But he was lucky that he had by far the best season of his career when most of the top players had off years - Crosby missed half the year, Ovechkin had his weird two-year slump, Malkin missed half the season, Kane wasn't a superstar yet, Datsyuk missed 30 games, etc.
  • Stanley Cup? Yes, Perry won a Stanley Cup. At a minimum, he was definitely less valuable than Chris Pronger, Scott Niedermayer, JS Giguere, Ryan Getzlaf and Samuel Pahlsson. He was roughly on par with Andy McDonald, Francois Beauchemin and Teemu Selanne (and I think there are good arguments for at least two of them over Perry). So he's at best the 6th most valuable player on a Cup winning team, and realistically probably more like 8th. Not bad, but if this is the cornerstone of his Hall of Fame case, it's a weak one.
  • Olympic gold medals? Hopefully nobody uses the 2014 Olympic goal as an argument for Perry's induction. He scored 1 point in 6 games on a powerhouse team. His stats were better in 2010 but those 5 points in 7 games look impressive until you realize that most of his production came in blowouts. Of his five points, he scored a goal that made it 7-0 against Norway, then goals that made it 5-1 and 7-2 against Russia. He did score a big goal in the gold medal game but that doesn't make him a Hall of Fame player.
This screenshot is from mid January, but statistically Perry hasn't distinguished himself from Kessel (who was a much better playoff performer), Spezza, Pavelski (who was a better two-way player), Parise, or Wheeler (who's now only three points back, in 125 fewer games played):

upload_2022-1-22_18-10-25-png.500840

Perry was a top twenty scorer just three times in his career. That's a ridiculously low amount for a HOF forward. He brought some toughness and hitting ability to his teams, but I don't think he's substantially better than his numbers make him look. Wheeler, Kessel and Spezza (who nobody consider HOF'ers) each have more years in the top twenty in scoring. Pavelski is tied with Perry (and looks likely to pass him this year). The best thing I can say is Pavelski has one more year in the top twenty than Zach Parise, and that doesn't exactly scream "Hall of Fame".

As I said, I'm nearly certain Perry will earn a spot in the Hall. He checks a lot of boxes - but there was a lot of good luck there, and he isn't noticeably better than a bunch of non-HOF players who didn't have the same peak season, but had higher and less frequent lows.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
What are you talking about here, only Toews and Getzlaf are HHOFers from this group and deservedly so and also have much better resumes than Corey Perry.

Eh, do they?

For the record I think they are all going into the Hall of Fame just in my hall it would be alot tougher to get in and all these guys are hall of good.

Toews was a very good player for about 4-5 years but other than that not very good at all, now granted in those 4-5 years he got extremely lucky and made the most of it with team success.

Individual success is another thing where you can both poke holes. Toews most likely isn't even going to hit 400 goals or 900 points, was never a Hart nominee despite his huge hype and just has the one 2nd team all Star award in a much shortened season.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Seems weird the OP would not put up the more important talking point…..his actual stats.

403g, 854pts…..just doesn’t get it done IMO. Can he coast around like Jagr long enough to make 1000pts?

Pierre Larouche

Jan 4, 2009
Stanley Cup Champion
Memorial Cup Champion
Olympic Gold 2x
World Juniors Gold
World Championship Gold
World Cup Of Hockey Champion
Hart Trophy and Rocket Richard Trophy

Pretty impressive career that most NHL players can only dream of. But is it enough to get into the Hall?
No. Nice career but no. Unless he's Bernie Ferdoko'd in.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Stanley Cup Champion
Memorial Cup Champion
Olympic Gold 2x
World Juniors Gold
World Championship Gold

Pretty impressive career that most NHL players can only dream of. But is it enough to get into the Hall?

It's funny to me how similar his resume is to his old nemesis Mike Richards...with the exceptions being career longevity and the unfortunate way Richards left the sport of course.

Both of them won at every level but peaked too early.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I would love to keep him in TB scoring in the 20 range to boost the totals.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Certainly not.

I also fail to understand why people constantly include all those national accomplishments. If you are not from a traditional hockey country, you will never win anything. An exception for the Olympics.

He deservedly won the Hart & Rocket and that should be it.

We include national team achievements because of how good you have to be to even make the Canadian national team.

In 2010, 2014 and 2016, Canada took fewer than 5 natural wingers, and that went down with each tournament.

Perry made all three teams.

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
I have no doubt that Perry will be inducted into the Hall (because his resume superficially checks a lot of boxes). But here's a fun stat - the number of times each player placed higher than 30th in scoring:

- 10 times - John Tavares
- 9 times - Eric Staal
- 8 times - Ryan Getzlaf, Nicklas Backstrom, Keith Tkachuk, Claude Giroux, Jeremy Roenick
- 7 times - Blake Wheeler, Ray Whitney, Vincent Damphousse, Bernie Nicholls, Tyler Seguin, Jason Spezza
- 6 times - Phil Kessel, Ilya Kovalchuk, Dany Heatley, Joe Pavelski, Doug Weight
- 5 times - Markus Naslund, Jamie Benn, Vincent Lecavalier, Patrick Marleau, Rod Brind'Amour, Brad Richards
- 4 times - Jason Allison, Alex Tanguay, Thomas Vanek, Pavol Demitra, Kirk Muller, Rick Nash, Tony Amonte, Marian Gaborik, Milan Hejduk
- 3 times - Corry Perry

Of course, there's more to hockey than regular season scoring stats. At the same time, it doesn't exactly scream "Hall of Famer" for someone who ranks behind all of the above players by this metric.
excellent point

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Shouldn't get in, but I have a feeling he will.

Voters will use the Hart and Olympics medal, mutter something about (e.g.) strong playoff performer too or other secondary point as a rationale.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
In terms of individual performance, he'd be amongst a group of offensive forwards whose careers were significantly shortened due to injury.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Stanley Cup Champion
Memorial Cup Champion
Olympic Gold 2x
World Juniors Gold
World Championship Gold

Not for me. Good player. Was in a lot of great circumstances but was not a Great

Forceofnature

Sep 18, 2021
In my opinion, no way and absolutely not.
Markus Naslund has a way better case for me to be in the hall than Perry.
People give way to much value on team awards, especially international tournaments.
Peak Naslund was twice the player Perry was and för me Naslund does not belong in the hall.

I mean seriously, we have to look at the player. To even put Perry as a player in the same tier as Alfredsson and Sundin is absurd.

If Perry is worthy, then who is next?
The great Tomas holmstrom with his 4 cups, one Olympic gold and similar playoff production?

Perry 167 45 63 108
Holmstrom 180 46 51 97
I might go a bit over the top but you catch my drift

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad