Oct 29, 2018
Stanley Cup Champion
Memorial Cup Champion
Olympic Gold 2x
World Juniors Gold
World Championship Gold
World Cup Of Hockey Champion
Hart Trophy and Rocket Richard Trophy

Pretty impressive career that most NHL players can only dream of. But is it enough to get into the Hall?
Don't forget his wonderful personality. Players on other teams love him!!!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I answered ‘yes’ earlier but his numbers aren’t what I thought they were. I’m changing my vote. No he doesn’t make it. Solid player with a cup win but it’s not enough.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Sundin and Lowe are in
Mats Sundin: 1346 GP, 564 goals, 785 assists and 1349 points. A career PPG player and a real star player.
Corey Perry: 1168 GP, 403 goals, 451 assists and 854 points. The only thing Perry is PPG in is penalty minutes (1276 PIM).

They are not the same. What Kevin Lowe is doing in the hall of fame is a very good question though. As for the thread in hand, no, I have no idea why Corey Perry should be in the HOF. He's had a good career but his peak was too short. The hall of very good is for players like Perry.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Perry isn't even good enough for the Hall of very good for borderline guys

He's just a good player. He was a 60-70 point player most of his career.

He should have no chance at the hall of fame.

A guy like Gaudreau for instance has had a better career than him already outside of playoffs at the NHL level and he's not really talked as a hall of famer by most

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Are we talking the Hockey Hall of Fame or the NHL Hall of Fame? He wouldn’t make the latter (if it existed) but I think he is a lock for the former due to his accomplishments outside the NHL.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
There's 6 1st ballot locks from that age group - Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, P. Kane, Keith, Bergeron and 4 more that are right behind them in Kopitar, Doughty, Toews and Stamkos.
That's 10 guys already -

Perry, Getzlaf, E. Staal, Giroux, Backstrom, Kessel, Marchand, Karlsson, Weber, Letang, MAF, Price, Rask (I'm sure I'm forgetting a few) - and guys that will be on the outside but might muddy the water like Burns, Suter, Pavelski, Giordano, etc.

Where's that line? Do you just add a couple of those guys or near all of them?
Perry's resume is as good as anyone in that group but it's going to be a major debate amongst which of those players make it in, who waits, who's fast-tracked - but that's a razor-thin margin.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
He has a Hart and then a bunch of winning, so yes, I would say he does. Very few players don't get in with a Hart. Not being 1K points probably hurts a little, but 400 goals is not insignificant.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't understand everyone's fixation with trophies when it comes to saying no way someone gets into the Hall. They let in four players every year. Through Perry's career there have been

11 Hart winners (Thornton, Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Sedin, Kane, Price, Hall, Kucherov, Draisaitl, Perry) (you can fit the last 16 years worth of Hart winners in three HOF classes)

10 Lindsay winners (Jagr, Crosby, Ovechkin, Sedin, Malkin, Price, Kane, McDavid, Kucherov, Draisaitl)
(same, three HOF classes to fit in the last 16 years of trophy winners

8 Rocket Richard winners (Cheechoo, Lecavalier, Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos, Perry, Pastrnak, Matthews)

11 Norris winners (Lidstrom, Chara, Keith, Karlsson, Subban, Doughty, Burns, Hedman, Giordano, Josi, Fox)

So if we're just looking at skaters with major regular season trophy winners, you can fit every single one into the HOF in around 8 years, then you're left with Vezina and Conn Smythe trophy winners, the latter of which will have some overlap.

People seem to forget that in a ten year period they let in fourty players to the HHOF. Yet people seem to think that only the very best of the best borderline generational talents should get in.

I'd say there's a decent enough case to be made that Perry is borderline and not first ballot based on his short peak, but for anyone saying there's no f***ing way, they're out to lunch.

Reactions: 190Octane

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Perry putting together another solid playoffs as a role player...he getting in for sure

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Stanley Cup Champion
Memorial Cup Champion
Olympic Gold 2x
World Juniors Gold
World Championship Gold

Pretty impressive career that most NHL players can only dream of. But is it enough to get into the Hall?
He's also 55th all time in playoff GP and 73rd all time in playoff goals.
His resume is HHOF in my opinion.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
OHL HOF (if such a thing exists), they should just erect a statue to him. Absolute lock for that.
NHL HOF... maybe.

His personal numbers are really damn good lifetime, better than people are underplaying, and he has a Hart, a Rocket and a Cup. I can absolutely see arguments both ways but to be fair, I doubt he gets in or even balloted.

I won't lose sleep if he does or doesn't though and that Cup with the Ducks is a pretty damn special thing on its own. If he does get enshrined it's absolutely as a Duck.

did you read earlier post. Only 3 times has he placed in top 30,yes top THIRTY in scoring. Does not even deserve to be on ballot
Do the math on his lifetime numbers and they're still really damn good.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
People mentioning all these championships like he was a huge part of them. Not even a PPG in any of them. Passenger all the way.

Career playoffs - 108p in 167g
International - 30p in 44g

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Stanley Cup Champion
Memorial Cup Champion
Olympic Gold 2x
World Juniors Gold
World Championship Gold

This is a tough one for me. Yes, he won a cup and a Hart and a Rocket. That counts for a lot. But he never had a 100 point season, and in fact only had two 80+ point seasons his entire career. That's not that good. He had two good goal-scoring seasons(43 & 50) but not much else that's noteworthy. He also only has 858 points. I dunno........I feel the HHOF should demand more.

Alfredsson 8 times as well. Not in the HHoF.

He never really did that anything noteworthy in his entire career. Hall of 'Good' for him.

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
I have no doubt that Perry will be inducted into the Hall (because his resume superficially checks a lot of boxes). But here's a fun stat - the number of times each player placed higher than 30th in scoring:

- 10 times - John Tavares
- 9 times - Eric Staal
- 8 times - Ryan Getzlaf, Nicklas Backstrom, Keith Tkachuk, Claude Giroux, Jeremy Roenick
- 7 times - Blake Wheeler, Ray Whitney, Vincent Damphousse, Bernie Nicholls, Tyler Seguin, Jason Spezza
- 6 times - Phil Kessel, Ilya Kovalchuk, Dany Heatley, Joe Pavelski, Doug Weight
- 5 times - Markus Naslund, Jamie Benn, Vincent Lecavalier, Patrick Marleau, Rod Brind'Amour, Brad Richards
- 4 times - Jason Allison, Alex Tanguay, Thomas Vanek, Pavol Demitra, Kirk Muller, Rick Nash, Tony Amonte, Marian Gaborik, Milan Hejduk
- 3 times - Corry Perry

Of course, there's more to hockey than regular season scoring stats. At the same time, it doesn't exactly scream "Hall of Famer" for someone who ranks behind all of the above players by this metric.
You answered your own question in your own post, its like you discredited your own argument.

Perry is HOF worthy he and Getzlaf carried those Duck teams for 10 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad