Is Corey Perry HOF worthy?

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Unfortunately, he likely gets in due to his fluke season and name recognition, but damn I hate the guy and wish him nothing but the worst. Dirty rat who rarely if ever backs it up.
Dude has over 50 career fights, what are you talking about? Fluke year, but 20th in goal scoring over the entire NHL in the last 15 years? Come on, at least come armed with facts.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
He was born in Canada. Cool. Don’t get it wrong. Canada is the best at hockey. But merely being on a stacked time by virtue of birthplace is enough?

That’s cool. Solid arguments. 😅 Go Canada!!!
lol people use the same gold medal arguments for Crosby. Can apply to Perry too.

If he wasn’t good they wouldn’t put him on the team with the greatest athletes from the sport.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
lol people use the same gold medal arguments for Crosby. Can apply to Perry too.

If he wasn’t good they wouldn’t put him on the team with the greatest athletes from the sport.

It’s generous of you to equate Perry and Crosby. Nice argument.

Reactions: pekka55

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Certainly not.

I also fail to understand why people constantly include all those national accomplishments. If you are not from a traditional hockey country, you will never win anything. An exception for the Olympics.

He deservedly won the Hart & Rocket and that should be it.

Because Canada hasn’t won a cup in decades, they need to pretend international tournaments matter.

Reactions: Block

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Maybe I was a little too harsh.. one fluke season where he won the Hart and Richard and one other season where he was a post season all star.. and some good other seasons with no award recognition or significant votes toward them.
Olympic gold - 2010 and 2014.
World Champion - 2016
Canada Cup Gold - 2016
World Junior Gold - 2005
Memorial Cup -2005
Stanley Cup - 2011
Hart - 2011
Rocket - 2011
1500 Games played over 1000 points.

There are guys with much less of a resume in The Hall.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Just getting a Hart trophy is borderline enough to get you in considering all the lesser players in the Hall.

This is true, very few Hart winners don't make it to the Hall - which is why I think he'll make it because of his one stand out year even though he's a very borderline player overall. And I still hate him. :D

Taylor Hall is another guy with the one fluke year but I think he might be one of the few Hart winners that don't make it because he has even less outside that year than Perry does.

Reactions: WingsFan95

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think he has enough to get in. The point totals themselves are probably a bit less than borderline, but that trophy case gives a big boost.

Also, he was an A lister in his prime considering that he had an automatic ticket to team Canada's best on best tournaments back then.

Reactions: OKR

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
If Gary Bettman can induct himself into the Hall of Fame without anyone stopping him I wouldn't be surprised if anyother Joe Rando makes it in now at this point.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Umm..... you didn't add the playoff games...

add 196 games and 124 pts
That is not how that works.

Of course he played those games and got those points (lackluster scoring rate btw), but when you talk about his career totals regular season is always the baseline presumption unless specified.

Postseason is a separate set. This is how these conversations work in all (american) sports.

A few threads down is the “marchand gets 900” thread. Marchand has *much* better playoff numbers than Perry. Nobody said “nuh uh he has been over 1000 for a while now” because, again, that is not how that works.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
That is not how that works.

Of course he played those games and got those points (lackluster scoring rate btw), but when you talk about his career totals regular season is always the baseline presumption unless specified.

Postseason is a separate set. This is how these conversations work in all (american) sports.

A few threads down is the “marchand gets 900” thread. Marchand has *much* better playoff numbers than Perry. Nobody said “nuh uh he has been over 1000 for a while now” because, again, that is not how that works.
Im Canadian. I dont care how it works for Americans sports

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'd say as a player he shouldn't, but he's got all the accolades you need to get in. I'll say he does.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
When he and Getzlaf were in their primes and killing it on the Ducks, I thought Perry was a shoe-in. He's since had less stellar seasons, but it's hard for me to go back on my initial assessment from back then.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Who was Corey Perry before Corey Perry was Corey Perry?

Ken Linseman maybe? Might be as close as anyone. Like Perry, he had 1 Cup, but played in the postseason a lot. Put up good but not great numbers. Was a rat on the ice, literally had the nickname "Rat" Linseman.

As for Perry, I think he might be that kind of guy that checks off a lot of boxes that the Hall of Fame committee likes. I just don't think he had enough elite seasons to get by though. It is strange because you figure he was a guy who could still put up good years in his 30s but he didn't for some reason. After 2016 he didn't seem like the same type of player. Still serviceable, but not in a dangerous offensive way. Probably should have done more in his 20s in order to get a spot confirmed in, but my guess is they'll look at certain other aspects to his career. He was always on Team Canada, he always played well, he probably is the type of player whose value isn't always on the scoresheet. He had a knack of playing big in big games. He has the Hart trophy, plus a 50 goal season. Not to mention he is at 196 playoff games. He'll get over 200 this year. Should that matter? I don't think so, but there aren't plenty of guys who played in 200 or more playoff games. 23 in total. And out of those 23, Mike Keane, Claude Lemieux and Kris Draper are the only ones not in the Hall of Fame. Kevin Lowe shouldn't be in, but he is, and others like Chara and Jagr are expected to make it (honestly, who thought Chara had played in that many playoff games?)

So I think there are those intangibles that will pay off for Perry that the committee will like.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Olympic gold - 2010 and 2014.
World Champion - 2016
Canada Cup Gold - 2016
World Junior Gold - 2005
Memorial Cup -2005
Stanley Cup - 2011
Hart - 2011
Rocket - 2011
1500 Games played over 1000 points.

There are guys with much less of a resume in The Hall.
1300 games and 900 points in regular season. The playoffs though certainly add to his resume.

But yes when looking around he probably gets in. Would be something if he also gets a sunset Cup with the Oil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad