Sep 29, 2017
Stanley Cup Champion
Memorial Cup Champion
Olympic Gold 2x
World Juniors Gold
World Championship Gold
World Cup Of Hockey Champion
Hart Trophy and Rocket Richard Trophy

Pretty impressive career that most NHL players can only dream of. But is it enough to get into the Hall?

Reactions: waitin425

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
If he isn't you have to keep other players from late 2000s and 2010s out too.... Getzlaf, Toews, Staal, Giroux, etc.

Hall too easy to get into though

Reactions: Sentinel and BHD

Mohar Ikram

Dec 27, 2021
Muadzam Shah, Pahang, Malaysia
Certainly not.

I also fail to understand why people constantly include all those national accomplishments. If you are not from a traditional hockey country, you will never win anything. An exception for the Olympics.

He deservedly won the Hart & Rocket and that should be it.

Ice hockey is a team sport.
Team achievement > individual achievement

Not to say that Perry doesn't have individual achievement (he won Hart and Rocket ffs).

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Ice hockey is a team sport.
Team achievement > individual achievement

Not to say that Perry doesn't have individual achievement (he won Hart and Rocket ffs).
Yes hockey is a team sport.
What is your point regarding my quote?

A bunch of players will never win;

Memorial Cup/NCAA Championship
World Juniors
World Championship
World Cup Of Hockey

Each player should get an equal chance. Those accomplishments are nice and all but should not be a difference maker and definitely not for a player like Perry.

Last edited:

Mohar Ikram

Dec 27, 2021
Yes hockey is a team sport.
What is your point regarding my quote?

A bunch of players will never win;

Memorial Cup
World Juniors
World Championship
World Cup Of Hockey

So basically you are saying, players from traditional hockey countries have a bigger chance to become a HHOF’er.

Even though you're from the hockey country, you still need to work for it to win. It just say like Pele's WC doesn't matter because Brazil is assoc. football country or LeBron olympic gold medal meaningless because USA is a basketball country. How foolish that statement was.

Name one other scrub players that won all various major tournament like Perry did? (stop with Ryan Smyth, he did not win the SC. Besides, He is in IIHF HOF)

Because there are so many doubters of Perry HOF resume even though he did won all kinds of highest level of ice hockey tournament (except the Gagarin cup because he never went to Russia).

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Even though you're from the hockey country, you still need to work for it to win. It just say like Pele's WC doesn't matter because Brazil is assoc. football country or LeBron olympic gold medal meaningless because USA is a basketball country. How foolish that statement was.

Name one other scrub players that won all various major tournament like Perry did? (stop with Ryan Smyth, he did not win the SC. Besides, He is in IIHF HOF)

Because there are so many doubters of Perry HOF resume even though he did won all kinds of highest level of ice hockey tournament (except the Gagarin cup because he never went to Russia).
Pelé scored over thousands goals.
Nobody cares what country he is coming from.

Lately people constantly come up with this crap with good to very good hockey players who should be inducted according to them. I even read an argument like playing for the same team during a whole career. That’s an accomplishment also apparently. Thats just very nice.

His (Perry) individual statline is more than ok but not great. The rest should be ignored than.

Mohar Ikram

Dec 27, 2021
Pelé scored over thousands goals.
Nobody cares what country he is coming from.

Lately people constantly come up with this crap with good to very good hockey players who should be inducted according to them. I even read an argument for playing for the same team during a whole career.

His (Perry) individual statline is more than ok but not great. The rest should be ignored than.

Ahh.. Statwhore.... Okay. It is useless to argue with someone who is as boring as you who watch sports only "one dimension". You do you.

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
Definitely not. He has the Rocket and the Hart, and those are pretty major, but besides that season there aren't many seasons in his career I would call HHOF-worthy. That was also a season where Crosby was injured and Ovechkin wasn't himself in regards to goal scoring. International trophies are a nice to throw in when building a HHOF case, but that trophy case is going to look pretty bloated if you're Canadian. Sure, you must be pretty good to be included in those Canadian teams, but still.

I actually always liked him and his pest antics, but I just don't get any "he was a special player" vibes from him. He's not particularly unique, he didn't define an era, nor was he one of the top players in the league for many enough seasons. These are some of the things I think HHOF players should showcase. I know not all players inducted fulfill these requirements though.

Hell, a couple of days ago I saw some thread about 2003 draftees' goal scoring stats in here or on Reddit, and was surprised Perry barely has 400 career goals - that's not *that* much for a player mainly known for his goal scoring. Zach Parise from the same draft has nearly identical stats, but doesn't have the trophies - and he's not even sniffing the HHOF.

Last edited:

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I have no doubt that Perry will be inducted into the Hall (because his resume superficially checks a lot of boxes). But here's a fun stat - the number of times each player placed higher than 30th in scoring:

- 10 times - John Tavares
- 9 times - Eric Staal
- 8 times - Ryan Getzlaf, Nicklas Backstrom, Keith Tkachuk, Claude Giroux, Jeremy Roenick
- 7 times - Blake Wheeler, Ray Whitney, Vincent Damphousse, Bernie Nicholls, Tyler Seguin, Jason Spezza
- 6 times - Phil Kessel, Ilya Kovalchuk, Dany Heatley, Joe Pavelski, Doug Weight
- 5 times - Markus Naslund, Jamie Benn, Vincent Lecavalier, Patrick Marleau, Rod Brind'Amour, Brad Richards
- 4 times - Jason Allison, Alex Tanguay, Thomas Vanek, Pavol Demitra, Kirk Muller, Rick Nash, Tony Amonte, Marian Gaborik, Milan Hejduk
- 3 times - Corry Perry

Of course, there's more to hockey than regular season scoring stats. At the same time, it doesn't exactly scream "Hall of Famer" for someone who ranks behind all of the above players by this metric.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I have no doubt that Perry will be inducted into the Hall (because his resume superficially checks a lot of boxes). But here's a fun stat - the number of times each player placed higher than 30th in scoring:

- 10 times - John Tavares
- 9 times - Eric Staal
- 8 times - Ryan Getzlaf, Nicklas Backstrom, Keith Tkachuk, Claude Giroux, Jeremy Roenick
- 7 times - Blake Wheeler, Ray Whitney, Vincent Damphousse, Bernie Nicholls, Tyler Seguin, Jason Spezza
- 6 times - Phil Kessel, Ilya Kovalchuk, Dany Heatley, Joe Pavelski, Doug Weight
- 5 times - Markus Naslund, Jamie Benn, Vincent Lecavalier, Patrick Marleau, Rod Brind'Amour, Brad Richards
- 4 times - Jason Allison, Alex Tanguay, Thomas Vanek, Pavol Demitra, Kirk Muller, Rick Nash, Tony Amonte, Marian Gaborik, Milan Hejduk
- 3 times - Corry Perry

Of course, there's more to hockey than regular season scoring stats. At the same time, it doesn't exactly scream "Hall of Famer" for someone who ranks behind all of the above players by this metric.

Alfredsson 8 times as well. Not in the HHoF.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad