Is Corey Perry HOF worthy?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
He's HoPest worthy.

Plenty of silverware as a complementary player but individual stats don't seem to merit it, and his playstyle and recent history may make it unlikely that he gets the sympathy votes. There's longevity, I guess.

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
Even though you're from the hockey country, you still need to work for it to win. It just say like Pele's WC doesn't matter because Brazil is assoc. football country or LeBron olympic gold medal meaningless because USA is a basketball country. How foolish that statement was.

Name one other scrub players that won all various major tournament like Perry did? (stop with Ryan Smyth, he did not win the SC. Besides, He is in IIHF HOF)

Because there are so many doubters of Perry HOF resume even though he did won all kinds of highest level of ice hockey tournament (except the Gagarin cup because he never went to Russia).
X player didn’t win Stanley cup or gold medal
Because he was born/played for X.

Perry legitimately had one dominant season, is that enough? I don’t think so.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I’d say no.

He had a few decent years in the mid-late 2000s, one REALLY good regular season in 2011, a few solid years after that, and then was average/below-average for most of a decade.

Good pest player who had a short high peak, but that’s it, IMO. Nothing wrong with that, but every player who had 1 standout season doesn’t need to go in the Hall.

• Haha
Reactions: ff8

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Unfortunately, he likely gets in due to his fluke season and name recognition, but damn I hate the guy and wish him nothing but the worst. Dirty rat who rarely if ever backs it up.

• Haha

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I’d say no.

He had a few decent years in the mid-late 2000s, one REALLY good regular season in 2011, a few solid years after that, and then was average/below-average for most of a decade.

Good pest player who had a short high peak, but that’s it, IMO. Nothing wrong with that, but every player who had 1 standout season doesn’t need to go in the Hall.

Unfortunately, he likely gets in due to his fluke season and name recognition, but damn I hate the guy and wish him nothing but the worst. Dirty rat who rarely if ever backs it up.
1 fluke season?

from 2002 -2016 everything he touched turned to gold. The guy is a lock to get in on merit.

It isnt the hall of good guys its the hall of fame....

Last edited:

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Hart, Rocket, Stanley Cup, Junior Gold, World Gold, Canada Cup Gold, Olympic Gold x2, unique rat skillset

A champion and winner in every sense of the word. He's in no problem.
agreed

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
1 fluke season?

from 2002 -2016 everything he touched turned to gold. The guy is a lock to get in on merit.

It isnt the hall of good guys its the hall of fame....

Maybe I was a little too harsh.. one fluke season where he won the Hart and Richard and one other season where he was a post season all star.. and some good other seasons with no award recognition or significant votes toward them.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I dont think hes hall of very good

John Tavares is Hall of very good

perry is a tier below that
Tavares .... if they opened a hall for most over rated players ....
.Johnny T is first member with a statue in the Foyer.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Maybe I was a little too harsh.. one fluke season where he won the Hart and Richard and one other season where he was a post season all star.. and some good other seasons with no award recognition or significant votes toward them.
Lots if other guys in their that didn't fluke a Hart Trophy .....or any other Hardware or Cup.
Perry gets in ..... not like the bar is all that high for the Hockey Hall

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
the only thing that might've kept him from getting into the hall is if the blackhawks thing was some egregiously awful thing...and we will probably never know. he has the benefit of the doubt given that he's been clean off the ice his entire career AND the blackhawks are understandably non-forgiving for stuff like that given their prior nonchalance.

1000% he's in.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
In 2014, Perry did the following:

Finished second in goals behind Ovechkin...

Finished fifth in points:

Finished tied for second in ES points (two behind Crosby):

I don't see how that's not an elite season.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Corey is kind of a weird case. Two excellent awards he can hang his hat on to go with the team trophies. Had some really good to elite seasons. But his post 30 years really tanked his trajectory and his overall numbers have suffered from it. I think he's close but he misses the cut unless it's a down year for ballots.

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
Hart, Rocket, Stanley Cup, Junior Gold, World Gold, Canada Cup Gold, Olympic Gold x2, unique rat skillset

He wasn't really the reason any of those teams he were on won. Canada is Canada and in Anaheim he wasn't the go to guy when they won. After 2007 he won nothing in Anaheim.

I'll give you the hart and rocket. Hall of the very good IMO, but not HOF.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
In 2014, Perry did the following:

Finished second in goals behind Ovechkin...

Finished fifth in points:

Finished tied for second in ES points (two behind Crosby):

I don't see how that's not an elite season.

One season does not a HOFer make......

Doesn't he average less than 50 pts/year his career?

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
One season does not a HOFer make......

Doesn't he average less than 50 pts/year his career?

I'm not saying it makes him a HHOF'er. I'm pointing out that he had two seasons at a very high level (2011 and 2014) and not just one.

Like I said earlier, I would call him a Hall of Very Good player... but I won't be shocked if he is inducted into the HOF. Players have been inducted who have peaked lower and accomplished less.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

He was born in Canada. Cool. Don’t get it wrong. Canada is the best at hockey. But merely being on a stacked time by virtue of birthplace is enough?

That’s cool. Solid arguments. 😅 Go Canada!!!

Reactions: pekka55

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad