Is Corey Perry HOF worthy?

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
He was born in Canada. Cool. Don’t get it wrong. Canada is the best at hockey. But merely being on a stacked time by virtue of birthplace is enough?

That’s cool. Solid arguments. 😅 Go Canada!!!
I hate this argument, Perry was good enough to make those teams.

Numbers wise, no, Perry shouldn’t make the Hall. But if you look at everything he’s won, he’s a slam dunk.

Reactions: Sentinel and banks

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
lol people use the same gold medal arguments for Crosby. Can apply to Perry too.

If he wasn’t good they wouldn’t put him on the team with the greatest athletes from the sport.

Are we talking about the Hall of Fame or the Hall of good? Just because he was on Canada's team doesn't mean that he's a Hall of Fame player. Personally, I wouldn't vote him in, but he'll make it on name recognition and being a good ole Canadian boy.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Absolutely not. Is this a joke? What a sham if he even sniffs getting in. There are 20 inactive players and 10 active with more goals who aren’t in and about 98 percent have better resumes.

Guy hasn’t hit 20 goals in eight years and in 19 seasons has exceeded 20 goals only eight times. Only two postseason AS selections and not a single Hart vote in 17 of 19 seasons, and he played for a contender for more than half his career.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Are we talking about the Hall of Fame or the Hall of good? Just because he was on Canada's team doesn't mean that he's a Hall of Fame player. Personally, I wouldn't vote him in, but he'll make it on name recognition and being a good ole Canadian boy.

We are talking about the hall NHL hall of fame.

Often, these debates come down to what ought to be the standard versus what actually is the standard. I tend to form my opinion based on what it it actually takes.

Regardless, being an automatic selection on team Canada for best on best tournaments does mean something though. While things are changing now, it has been the most prestigious team with the biggest talent pool, and the most difficult roster to crack. It symbolizes that for a period of time, he was held in very high regard as a hockey player relative to his peers. That is easy to forget now because it's been a long time since he was at that level.

Reactions: Sentinel and Goose

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
This debate is heating up l.

But based on the hall standards and who has gotten in already if you keep Perry out you have to keep the other Team Canada boys out (Toews, Tavares, Giroux, Getzlaf etc)

Reactions: ff8 and ujju2

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We are talking about the hall NHL hall of fame.

Often, these debates come down to what ought to be the standard versus what actually is the standard. I tend to form my opinion based on what it it actually takes.

Regardless, being an automatic selection on team Canada for best on best tournaments does mean something though. While things are changing now, it has been the most prestigious team with the biggest talent pool, and the most difficult roster to crack. It symbolizes that for a period of time, he was held in very high regard as a hockey player relative to his peers. That is easy to forget now because it's been a long time since he was at that level.
You figure 23 guys make it, a little less than half the league is Canadian, certainly was half in Perry's prime, so if you're on Team Canada, you're pretty comfortably a top 50 player in the world for a long time. I get that.

That being said, here are some other guys who were top 50 players in the league their entire primes:

Rick Nash
Dany Heatley
Brayden Point
Bill Guerin
Artemi Panarin
Jamie Benn
Keith Tkachuk

Who's a Hall of Famer here? I don't see Point making it. Maybe Panarin? Maybe Benn? I would be underwhelmed with Benn.

What you're describing (a consistent, shoo-in all-star) is not necessarily a Hall of Fame standard.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
It's a good question, honestly can go both ways, while he doesn't have some crazy resume, he does have a Hart/Rocket and he is a massive winner which is what he has going for him.

Sedins were better as players but didn't win anything and they got in, so yeah could go either way, he had a good peak, great longevity, won some major awards, won a cup, made a ton of runs, but obviously he's not some no brainer candidate either.

Reactions: Sentinel

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Putting aside debates over what SHOULD be, I think he will eek in. He's one of the most borderline cases out there.

Selection committee has people like Bobby Mac, Pierre McGuire, Brian Burke, I think they push him across the line.

Reactions: heynowbababooey

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Last year I thought he was in all the way. After the Chicago scandal I am not sure anymore. I still think he will get in and he should.

With Lowe, Housley, and Zubov in there, I don't see how Perry won't be. Everybody wanted him on their roster when push comes to shove.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Ice hockey is a team sport.
Team achievement > individual achievement

Not to say that Perry doesn't have individual achievement (he won Hart and Rocket ffs).
To me, a player should be in the Hall if he was good enough, regardless of whether he had the good fortune to be on teams which won championships. When reading the original post I thought most of the accomplishments listed did pretty much nothing to advance Perry's case for the Hall, while his two first team NHL all-star accomplishments were serious omissions.

There are eras in which being a good enough Russian hockey player to make a national team would guarantee team success and eras in which being a good enough Canadian hockey player to make a national team would guarantee team success.

There are eras in which happening to be on the right NHL team would guarantee team success. Rick Chartraw was a pretty decent hockey player but nobody would consider nominating him, with his five Stanley Cups including four in a row with the Canadiens early in his career and one at the end of his career with the Oilers, for the Hall, but Adam Oates, Ed Giacomin and Harry Howell are members and everyone would agree that Marcel Dionne would have been a lock even if not eligible to play internationally for Canada.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
You figure 23 guys make it, a little less than half the league is Canadian, certainly was half in Perry's prime, so if you're on Team Canada, you're pretty comfortably a top 50 player in the world for a long time. I get that.

That being said, here are some other guys who were top 50 players in the league their entire primes:

Rick Nash
Dany Heatley
Brayden Point
Bill Guerin
Artemi Panarin
Jamie Benn
Keith Tkachuk

Who's a Hall of Famer here? I don't see Point making it. Maybe Panarin? Maybe Benn? I would be underwhelmed with Benn.

What you're describing (a consistent, shoo-in all-star) is not necessarily a Hall of Fame standard.

At his peak, I think Corey perry would be more than a top 50 guy, and that's why he was an automatic selection to team canada.

Regarding your last paragraph, I think this where things get muddy because some of us debate based on what the standard ought to be and others debate based on what the precedent is... so it becomes apples and oranges.

The point totals are pedestrian by hof standards, however the other items on his resume gives him the boost to put him over the top imo.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
He’ll make it. People whine and cry and post on the internet why he shouldn’t but he’ll make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad