Is Bouillon coming back? (Officially invited to training camp)

habitue*

The trouble is he's both old and motivated. Old guys tend to start great and fade quickly. And his motivation will spur that start.

In other words, it's quite possible he looks good in camp and suckers them into a contract. Brutal!

Given their situation with D-men, I can't understand for the life of me how they haven't moved on from him.

They have already two youngsters to fit in the D-Corp (Beaulieu and Tinordi) , and I strongly doubt they want another one sitting in the pressbox (Nygren or Patteryn).

Bouillon could just be an insurance policy, a perfect #7 or #8 .

Nygren did not prove anything yet. He could be just another Diaz or Weber.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Bouillon was invited. Not giving a contract. The point of inviting Bouillon is that if everybody falls on their face and management isn't happy with all those guys, they have him. Bergevin keeps talking about depth. Not sure why people are surprised by this. And should be grateful that it's not, so far, about getting a new contract.

Signing Bouillon would indeed mean what about those guys. Inviting him without a contract, means nothing....so far. But let say that it does, well what it means is that if Bouillon is indeed in the plans, is that they believe Nygren is still not ready and are willing to give him another year in Sweden or about to trade him. And that they overrated Drewiske and feel he's worst than Bouillon.

People don't care if he invites a veteran to camp, they care that it's freaking Bouillon.
You want to bring in someone for an insurance policy, heck, invite Diaz back.
Just not freaking Bouillon who's terrible and who's coach has a man-crush on.

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
Everybody knows this Berkshire is just a poster from HI/O who's allowed to write on Robert Lefebvre's old site, right? A blowhard with big opinions and not much insight or talent.

Hate much!? Berkshire runs the best Habs site on the internet IMO. The quality of discussion and analysis is light years ahead of HIO or this site.

I agree on Boullion though....he sucks.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Hoping this try-out is just MB giving his coach a bone...

I really don't think MB has any interest in signing Bouillon to a guaranteed contract. I guess it's not bad insurance during training camp if there's any injuries to anyone on defense.

But i'm going to assume that this 'try-out' is just the Habs allowing Bouillon to showcase what he can bring to another team as much as anything.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
This regime treats Bouillon like he's a former great, not for the reality of the situation - that he's a former #6 d-man who cannot play any more.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
This regime treats Bouillon like he's a former great, not for the reality of the situation - that he's a former #6 d-man who cannot play any more.

I see it as MB sending a challenge to youngsters : If you can't outplay Bouillon at camp, prove that you're more in shape, ready for NHL, then you don't belong in the NHL.

And I'm prefectly ok with that. Beaulieu and Tinordi have to be better or at least, as reliable as Bouillon is. Now the benchmark will be at camp so kids just have to prove their worth. Nothing for granted.

Les Habitants

Jul 21, 2010
Montreal
My guess is he's there to create more competition at camp.

The bad thing is MT thinks he's a 20 Min guy.... I hope I dont see Boullion play over Beaulieu... That'll be a big mistake.... I'm scared:shakehead

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Hoping this try-out is just MB giving his coach a bone...(r)?

I really don't think MB has any interest in signing Bouillon to a guaranteed contract. I guess it's not bad insurance during training camp if there's any injuries to anyone on defense.

But i'm going to assume that this 'try-out' is just the Habs allowing Bouillon to showcase what he can bring to another team as much as anything.

See bolded for the more likely explanation..

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I feel he is still a fringe NHLer but with Weaver and the youngster there just is no room for him in Mtl. I'm hoping he is sign to a AHL contract where he can have a impact on and off the ice.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I'm on my phone and can't link it now but according to a tweet from Hockey 360, the Habs offered Bouillon the choice between a 2-way contract or attending training camp.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Every single defenseman that's either NHL ready or on the cusp of it in our organization is better than Bouillon, so I really have no idea why we keep going back to this guy. He'll be brought in with the intention of being a #7 or #8, but we all know he'll see regular action and Therrien will make him a #5 or #6.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Who knows, maybe if we get 2-3 injuries in camp or in pre-season we'll be happy to have him around. But then if this happen we'll be ****ed anyway, Bouillon or not.

I think the syndrome of veterans not wanting to retire is real, and Bouillon is just the latest case. I guess I can applaud him for his dedication to the game; he had a much more prolific career than anyone expected. But he's done, and should consider himself lucky to retire with no serious injuries, especially with his size and the position he plays.

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
the logical side of me says " its only a PTO just to throw Frankie Boo an bone... no big deal."

the illogical fan side of me says " ****! what the **** in the ****** ****ing holy hell are these mother****ers thinking? like ****, seriously?! holy ****ing ****! enoughof this **** with ****ing Bouillon!

and now that i have gotten that out.. i will hope and pray that the former of the 2 reactions will be the one that is proven justified :)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm on my phone and can't link it now but according to a tweet from Hockey 360, the Habs offered Bouillon the choice between a 2-way contract or attending training camp.

I'm not contesting the report.

But HOLY **** THAT'S STUPID BEYOND BELIEF.

So basically, Bouillon refused a 2-way deal and opted for a PTO which, in the best case, will result in a 2-way deal.

That's so ****ing stupid I don't know where to start.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
Bouillon: "It's ok, we'll turn down this offer, the fanbase will meltdown, Geoff Molson will call Bergevin and there'll be 8 years/9million on the table tomorrow."

Bouillon's Agent: "What's 10% of zero?"

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I'm not contesting the report.

But HOLY **** THAT'S STUPID BEYOND BELIEF.

So basically, Bouillon refused a 2-way deal and opted for a PTO which, in the best case, will result in a 2-way deal.

That's so ****ing stupid I don't know where to start.
Not really, because he won't get a 2-way deal if he "impresses"... he's going to get a ******** 1-year 1-way contract like he wants.

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
I think the only reason he is there is because he is a gym freak and it will push people to do better in the conditioning exercises during the camp. I don't get why people are freaking out. If our prospects can't beat him out during the camp we have a problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad