Interesting insight from Andrew Ference (31 Thoughts: The Podcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
He was brought in to lead.

But with lemmings, you dont really want to lead where they want to run.
Lead?? What did he lead us to? Last place finishes. He sucked and gets the nod for worst captain in franchise history easily

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Snet brings the comments on the Ference interview but leave out any rebuttal, by the actual player, RNH, as if rebuttal never even happened.

Why? Because they're milking the f***ing lame Friedman podcast.

When you know a station has completely jumped the shark.

This is our broadcast, an Oilers broadcast, and its being trolled with this Ference shit and the SNet crew backing it all the way.

A Flames broadcst wouldn't flame us harder than that podcast coverage tonight.

Be better SNet. This is simply troll broadcasting at this point and Friedman is a joke.

Reactions: Canada Drai

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
BTW, anyone a little skeptical of his claim that the team went out and partied the night of their loss to LA? They played in LA and then had a game in Phoenix the very next day. Are we supposed to believe that they had a flight the next morning? Or that they flew to Phoenix and then partied after landing? His story reeks of BS.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
BTW, anyone a little skeptical of his claim that the team went out and partied the night of their loss to LA? They played in LA and then had a game in Phoenix the very next day. Are we supposed to believe that they had a flight the next morning? Or that they flew to Phoenix and then partied after landing? His story reeks of BS.

Yes I am very skeptical of what this guy says and this isn't the first time he has said it.

Well, I guess everybody in the country has now heard his opinion so hopefully this is the end of it. It doesn't warrant this long a discussion.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Yeah I'm skeptical of that too, also Hall scored 1G and had an assist in the Phoenix game, so he was out until 3-4 AM, woke up, caught the flight to Phoenix, and scored multiple points?

Maybe if that was the case, he should've gone out more often, lol.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Have you been living under a rock? The man got traded and had to wise
What don’t you understand? For the 50th time, he wasnt prepared to listen in Edmonton.. he was young. It’s not unusual. He acknowledges it.
Him getting traded woke him up. He acknowledges all this.
My god. This isn’t rocket science.

Great. That's one theory. You dont know for sure.

But if it's true so what?
Why slag the player years later when
a) hes just been awarded THE BEST player in the F ing league
and b) you dont even play anymore in the league so have no relevancy bringing any of this up

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
And who did that? It was Ray Shero, the GM, as far as I know. Not the captain. You realize the captain of a team really has no power? A GM can trade said player, a coach can bench said player. But what kind of disciplinary action or power move does a captain has available to him? Nothing, especially acting on his own.

Winnipeg who had a pretty strong leadership group with Ladd, Wheeler, Byfuglien etc couldn't straighten out Evander Kane either, instead they forced managements hand, made the situation impossible and had him traded.

We're dealing with young elite athletes earning millions of dollars. If they don't want to change their antics, they won't.

And have you heard E Kane slag the Jets?
No? Wonder why?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Ference is a confirmed liar, every Habs fan knows it. This is a guy that lies about giving an index finger salute to Montreal fans when the cameras and telecast caught it. That bold face lied he didn't do it. It was somebody elses hand, no photoshopped, no, the finger accidentally went up as I threw my fist up at the crowd, yeah that's it"

Not only was Ference lying in that instant he sounded dumb as a sack of hammers doing it.

Whats wrong with just acknowledging he f***ed up. That's the measure of a person. That they own their mistakes.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Hall's getting the brunt of it because it was his room. Nobody argues with that. If Taylor Hall went to the rink everyday and came to practice with the same effort he did in-game, there wouldn't have been anything for Ference to cry about. Because the team would've followed suit.

It's the very reason he was never considered being given the C in the first place.

And you know thus to be a fact?

Can anyone explain to me how an athlete in 2014/15 can compete in a professional sport - AND BE ONE OF THE TOP PERFORMERS - if he gets pissed most nights and never takes practice seriously?

WTFs the matter with everyone's brain?

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
With Christmas approaching I will borrow a message from an important Christmas figure and direct it to Andrew Ference:
"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Quit being a part of the ******* problem."

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Ference is a confirmed liar, every Habs fan knows it. This is a guy that lies about giving an index finger salute to Montreal fans when the cameras and telecast caught it. That bold face lied he didn't do it. It was somebody elses hand, no photoshopped, no, the finger accidentally went up as I threw my fist up at the crowd, yeah that's it"
Not only was Ference lying in that instant he sounded dumb as a sack of hammers doing it.

Whats wrong with just acknowledging he * ***ed up. That's the measure of a person. That they own their mistakes.
Oh my god. New low of lunacy for you Replacement (actually not. Its an ever lower target)) But too funny.
Still waiting for your justification as to how been a good player excuses a lack of professionalism. Or how if your not good means your points don't have merit.
The Hall "fans" sure like to protect his , ahh, "legacy".

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010

Whats wrong with just acknowledging he ****ed up. That's the measure of a person. That they own their mistakes.
Jesus, did Ference kick your dog? He talks about the finger in the podcast (the one you still refuse to listen to). Said he was afraid to get suspended and that it was a dumb thing to stay at the time. He admitted his mistake very openly. But nah, because he was a bad player on the ice that means everything he says is wrong. People are more complex than that. Including the ones Ference calls out.

Hall has admitted he's grown a lot and that's probably why he was able to carry NJ into the playoffs. Nonetheless, his younger days are mired with countless stories (just go to r/hockey) about what a dbag he is/was, from Windsor to Edmonton.

And of course Nuge will stand up for his friends and say it was exaggerated. But things like this are all a matter of perspective. I'm sure Ference exaggerated based on his perspective and his opinion of what partying/drinking is and Nuge downplayed it based on his own perspective.

And we don't know how accurate Ference's description of events are. But if there's smoke, there's fire. But to start hating Ference, Elliotte, the podcast, SN, etc. is dumb and irrational.

The dumbest thing I'm seeing is: Ference played bad = he is a liar. Nuge play good = he is correct. What kind of logic is that? There seems to be no grey area for many posters. It's either black or white. That is some childlike thinking. That's like hating...idk...Corey Potter as a person because he was a shit player.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
And you know thus to be a fact?

Can anyone explain to me how an athlete in 2014/15 can compete in a professional sport - AND BE ONE OF THE TOP PERFORMERS - if he gets pissed most nights and never takes practice seriously?

WTFs the matter with everyone's brain?
Happens all the time. McDavid could go on a ripper daily and still be the best player on the ice likely.

Reactions: subnet

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Happens all the time. McDavid could go on a ripper daily and still be the best player on the ice likely.

You can't really have that both ways though.

If someone says "well going to a bar and having a few beers is no big deal", a lot of you are saying "Nooooo! That's terrible".

But then when its pointed out that Hall performed at a very high level, then its "well a few beers isn't going to stop Hall from producing".

So like which is it?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Jesus, did Ference kick your dog? He talks about the finger in the podcast (the one you still refuse to listen to). Said he was afraid to get suspended and that it was a dumb thing to stay at the time. He admitted his mistake very openly. But nah, because he was a bad player on the ice that means everything he says is wrong. People are more complex than that. Including the ones Ference calls out.

Hall has admitted he's grown a lot and that's probably why he was able to carry NJ into the playoffs. Nonetheless, his younger days are mired with countless stories (just go to r/hockey) about what a dbag he is/was, from Windsor to Edmonton.

And of course Nuge will stand up for his friends and say it was exaggerated. But things like this are all a matter of perspective. I'm sure Ference exaggerated based on his perspective and his opinion of what partying/drinking is and Nuge downplayed it based on his own perspective.

And we don't know how accurate Ference's description of events are. But if there's smoke, there's fire. But to start hating Ference, Elliotte, the podcast, SN, etc. is dumb and irrational.

The dumbest thing I'm seeing is: Ference played bad = he is a liar. Nuge play good = he is correct. What kind of logic is that? There seems to be no grey area for many posters. It's either black or white. That is some childlike thinking. That's like hating...idk...Corey Potter as a person because he was a **** player.

Make a silly post while calling somebody dumb. Not interested.

Its quite simple. I called Ference a Liar, as every Habs fan watching did, because he lied at the time about telling the Habs to f*** off in Montreal. He was asked about it repeatedly and lied. it was ridiculous.

But I'm done responding and won't, to this nature of reply.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No
Just no. He couldn't.
No one could for the sustainability required.

I suspect the truth is Hall + Ebs + others did go out after games, probably largely developed as a coping mechanism with all the losing (what are you going to do? Sit at home depressed in your 20s when you should be having the time of your life?).

That said the people who are trying to turn that into "the dude was out until 5 AM passed out at the bar every night!" is likely nonsense.

The truth is he probably had a couple of beers, hit on a few women, took a few home now and again, but generally got his 8 full hours of rest and only got really plastered a few times.

And the truth is I don't think the Oilers would've made the playoffs in any of those seasons with Hall not doing that. They simply weren't good enough.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
You can't really have that both ways though.

If someone says "well going to a bar and having a few beers is no big deal", a lot of you are saying "Nooooo! That's terrible".

But then when its pointed out that Hall performed at a very high level, then its "well a few beers isn't going to stop Hall from producing".

So like which is it?
I think theres a bit of a balance. Pretty sure a good pro could enlighten you. Its not rocket science.
Unlike many, I don't think performing at a high level cause you have god given ability excuses not acting professional.
But hey, maybe I am out to lunch . Seemingly its ok for many.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017

The dumbest thing I'm seeing is: Ference played bad = he is a liar. Nuge play good = he is correct. What kind of logic is that? There seems to be no grey area for many posters. It's either black or white. That is some childlike thinking. That's like hating...idk...Corey Potter as a person because he was a **** player.
Agreed. Unbelievable how obtuse some are cause their hero has been criticized.
Hero worshippers:laugh::laugh:

Reactions: TB12

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I suspect the truth is Hall + Ebs + others did go out after games, probably largely developed as a coping mechanism with all the losing (what are you going to do? Sit at home depressed in your 20s when you should be having the time of your life?).

That said the people who are trying to turn that into "the dude was out until 5 AM passed out at the bar every night!" is likely nonsense.

The truth is he probably had a couple of beers, hit on a few women, took a few home now and again, but generally got his 8 full hours of rest and only got really plastered a few times.

And the truth is I don't think the Oilers would've made the playoffs in any of those seasons with Hall not doing that. They simply weren't good enough.

Totally agree.
And he (or all of them) certainly weren't the first and wont be the last young players to behave in that fashion.

And here's this plug acting like hes never seen anything like it before. Give me a break.

Reactions: Messrules11

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Make a silly post while calling somebody dumb. Not interested.

Its quite simple. I called Ference a Liar, as every Habs fan watching did, because he lied at the time about telling the Habs to **** off in Montreal. He was asked about it repeatedly and lied. it was ridiculous.

But I'm done responding and won't, to this nature of reply.
No shit Habs fans called him a liar. Everyone knew it was a lie. Bruins knew it was a lie. Management actually called him into a room after the game and asked him wtf he was doing. The guy was scared and lied to the press.

But I guess once a liar, always a liar. (That goes for everyone out there. You have been labelled permanently). Even if it's one public lie a decade ago.

And, I shouldnt have said dumb. Just that there are some illogical arguments out there.

Reactions: TB12

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think theres a bit of a balance. Pretty sure a good pro could enlighten you. Its not rocket science.
Unlike many, I don't think performing at a high level cause you have god given ability excuses not acting professional.
But hey, maybe I am out to lunch . Seemingly its ok for many.

I'm pretty sure there are many great athletes that have done their fair share of partying, enjoying the night life. I don't think it necessarily prevents you from performing at a high level, and in Hall's case it obviously didn't.

If the partying was to the point of being up until 5 AM every night and drinking to black out drunk, it's simply impossible that he would be able to produce the way he did, either that or he's really better than Gretzky.

I think RNH also took offence to that characterization. I actually don't think the Oilers of that era partied any harder than most other teams.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It was my understanding that Nuge was tight with Ebs and Schultz but not a big fan of Hall. For him to come out and basically stand up for Hall and Ebs when both are gone shows how good of a teammate the young man is IMO. While I have no doubt that Hall, Ebs and the other young Oilers likely had their times in clubs at home and on the road, IMO Ference maybe going overboard because he was the tree hugging, marathon running, hippie type that probably detests people that have drinks and eats anything but fruits, shoots, berries and tofu. I do think that there was a lack of maturity and leadership on those clubs and the captain was a fraud back then too.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Imagine being an 18 year old millionaire, given the keys to the city and every night a different, beautiful women wants to sleep with you. Not many guys can resist that lifestyle. It’s up to the team to keep their players reeled in. The NFL and NBA do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille