Interesting insight from Andrew Ference (31 Thoughts: The Podcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
What a joke, it's tragic that this guy was captain. Just a lame move to pull even if some of what he's saying is true. For all the flak they got from fans guys like Moreau and Horcoff would never throw the awful teams they led under the bus like this.

The whining about fans and media being hard on players is absurd. We all know Edmonton can be a tough/demanding market but there is no way it's any worse than Toronto or NYC or Montreal.

Ripping on the Oilers right now is low hanging fruit, it's not clever or interesting and hockey media and other fans need to find some new material.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
So if this piece of work and his inept meal ticket did go to management, why didnt he slag them for allowing it to go on? He picks the easy targets in the 20 year olds because hes a spineless puke.

This player should be referenced every time the term 'cancer in the dressing room comes up'.

And he didn't even apologize for kicking your dog. Classless.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
Speaking of talking our your ass you’re the world champ hucklebery. Calling anyone who has something different than you a “Hall apologist” or some other stupid catch phrase. If he wanted to to be a leader and show that he wouldn’t stand for the foolishness he should have been calling out his mates in the media if a subtle talking to didn’t work. Or a punch in the face in an open practice. No, I don’t know what happens behind closed doors. Neither do you. But if I didn’t succeed in affecting a change under my leadership I don’t go *****ing about it in public.
Actually, Hucky, you again are talking out your ass. You have time and again suggested what Ference did or didn't do.Having no idea. I had not.
Thats you. Talking out your ass. Again.
Huckleberry

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Half of the boys on the bus loved to go skiing in their spare time but apparently it's only Hall and Eberle that partied according to some people here :laugh:

I'm not one of the 47 million partiers that have met, drank and got shat upon by Taylor Hall.

But I'd pay good money to see him and Glenn Anderson go drink for drink. I've only seen one. Mid season Andy could certainly hold his own!

Oooopss! Did I just F up the culture? Should I not have disclosed something 85+% already know?

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
[

Well, one of Strudwick or Nuge is full of ****. Geez I wonder who.
"To say that guys were going out all the time and were showing up hung over, I don’t remember guys doing that at all,” said Nugent-Hopkins, who has evolved into the best two-way player on the team."

That frankly defies belief

Clearly RNH was still blackout drunk when he showed up to practice if he doesn't remember that. :sarcasm:

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
The boys on the bus worked their asses off. Wayne was first guy on and lots of times last guy off the ice in practice. He was known to be the hardest working player many had ever known, by a lot.

Hall, on the other hand seems to have made fun of players who ‘tried hard’ in practice.

The boys on the bus actually won ****. Team trophies. The only trophy it seems Hall is interested in are the ones that celebrate individual accomplishments.

Add to that Wayne and the others were good humans when they were out and about, Hall on the other hand.......

So because he wasnt Joe #1 model citizen it's ok to dis him?

And as I've been posting, there's a hell of another side to the boys on the bus. Take the blinders off.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Actually, Hucky, you again are talking out your ass. You have time and again suggested what Ference did or didn't do.Having no idea. I had not.
Thats you. Talking out your ass. Again.
Huckleberry

You’re a breath of fresh air aren’t you? Go save a tree with Ference. I have no idea what he didn’t or didn’t try to do. I know that he failed miserably if he tried.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
When Nuge, one of the most understated guys in the league steps in and has to address something like this on behalf of his old teammates that should tell you something.

Even for RNH to roll his eyes is suprising, this kid is a pure pro and never tries to ruffle any feathers.

I think there were some truths in what Ference was saying but it was obviously greatly exaggerated.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Ryan Nugent Hopkins says hi and just pissed all over Ferences assertions. Just like most of us did yesterday. Good for you Nuge. Probably will shut some comments up now. Hopefully it shuts up Andrew Ference. I kind of doubt it.
Lol I am SHOCKED that Nuge would refute these accusations!

What’s he supposed to say in this situation?

I have NO issue with Hall and the boys partying. The management of this org is trash and they built a bad team and the players eventually gave up. Hell, you should PM to hear some of the stories of nights out on the town I had out with this crew due to mutual friends from their CHL days.

Doesn’t mean I’m not going to take Ference at his word. He was in the room. He lived it. And he tried....you can argue his methods, but he did try.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Ryan Nugent Hopkins says hi and just pissed all over Ferences assertions. Just like most of us did yesterday. Good for you Nuge. Probably will shut some comments up now. Hopefully it shuts up Andrew Ference. I kind of doubt it.

lol, it's cute that you think nuge's comments washes it all away. i'm sure nuge probably felt a bit slighted by ferences comments and was a bit defensive. if anything i think nuge might be the one exaggerating a bit to protect himself and former teammates. i like the nuge. but really it's one account vs another's.

don't forget dreger...."“It’s not one player; it’s the collection of players that make up a sagging work ethic and a lack of culture,” he said. “But if you wanted to put a face on it or a name to it, that would be Taylor Hall. Taylor Hall, at least again from a culture standpoint, more in the room not necessarily on the ice, hasn’t been what they’d hoped he would be.”

Reactions: bucks_oil and TB12

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground

I have NO issue with Hall and the boys partying. The management of this org is trash and they built a bad team and the players eventually gave up. Hell, you should PM to hear some of the stories of nights out on the town I had out with this crew due to mutual friends from their CHL days.

Doesn’t mean I’m not going to take Ference at his word. He was in the room. He lived it. And he tried....you can argue his methods, but he did try.

He did try ? What did he do ? Other than whine about it years later - instead of when he was the Captain of that ship he’s talking about now. I don’t disagree the culture must have been awful - and I am no fan of Hall in particular. But if I were the captain I would be ashamed to be addressing it years later.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
When Nuge, one of the most understated guys in the league steps in and has to address something like this on behalf of his old teammates that should tell you something.

Even for RNH to roll his eyes is suprising, this kid is a pure pro and never tries to ruffle any feathers.

I think there were some truths in what Ference was saying but it was obviously greatly exaggerated.

i can get with this. i bet there was some level of exaggeration from either side (nuge and ference). however BOTH admitted cultural issues back then.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting

So Nuge wasn't in the room?

Why WOULD you take Ference at his word in context of what was said?

Because he tried?

How about the other players were trying, and being a lot better players. Despite allegations that they would rather drink and party then focus on hockey.

The biggest laugh in all of this is that one of the worst players on that team is defending one of the worst players on THIS team, while making allegations about talented "Toe draggers" that just happened to be star players. Plus that Ference says "Eakins is a great coach" twice. Its beyond the pale.

Like I rebutted point per point yesterday Ference's claims lack credibility.

Reactions: Supermassive

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
lol, it's cute that you think nuge's comments washes it all away. i'm sure nuge probably felt a bit slighted by ferences comments and was a bit defensive. if anything i think nuge might be the one exaggerating a bit to protect himself and former teammates. i like the nuge. but really it's one account vs another's.

don't forget dreger...."“It’s not one player; it’s the collection of players that make up a sagging work ethic and a lack of culture,” he said. “But if you wanted to put a face on it or a name to it, that would be Taylor Hall. Taylor Hall, at least again from a culture standpoint, more in the room not necessarily on the ice, hasn’t been what they’d hoped he would be.”

Its cute Andrew, that 90% of your posts, still 3 years later, are hating on Taylor Hall. ;)

jk

But you get the drift.

As for the Dreger part you know my opinion, and I agree that McBlowe probably didn't see eye to eye with Hall. But I fault them more for that then the Most Valuable player.

Reactions: Supermassive

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017

Because he tried?

How about the other players were trying, and being a lot better players. Despite allegations that they would rather drink and party then focus on hockey.

The biggest laugh in all of this is that one of the worst players on that team is defending one of the worst players on THIS team, while making allegations about talented "Toe draggers" that just happened to be star players. Plus that Ference says "Eakins is a great coach" twice. Its beyond the pale.

What does been good, bad or indifferent have to do with the veracity of what was said?
And btw, I guess Srudwick is in on it . Because yesterday he in as much confirmed parts of it & wiped the floor with Gregor in the process.
But I guess because Strudwick was old and shitty his observations have no merit too. But if thats so, what in gods does that make your commentary?

Reactions: TB12

TB12

Apr 5, 2015

Because he tried?

He tried to lead. Part of being a good leader is getting people to follow. Clearly Ference failed there. That’s why I said you could question his methods.

I, however, value the opinion of a 14-year veteran pro with a Stanley Cup on his resume. That, combined with many things I witnessed firsthand, plus countless stories I heard from friends in the industry, physios working at the Glen Sather, etc. makes me more likely to believe a lot of what Ference says.

You don’t. That’s fine. I’m not here to change your mind. As if that’s bloody likely anyways :laugh:

I liked Hall as a dude. He was good to me. I liked Hall as a player. I’m glad he’s done well. I still can put that aside and believe there’s a lot of validity in Ference’s words.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
What does been good, bad or indifferent have to do with the veracity of what was said?
And btw, I guess Srudwick is in on it . Because yesterday he in as much confirmed parts of it & wiped the floor with Gregor in the process.
But I guess because Strudwick was old and ****ty his observations have no merit too. But if thats so, what in gods does that make you commentary?

You mean the veracity of saying poor Lucic is being unfairly treated by the fans here and Eakins "was a great coach" X2.

Theres some obvious difficulty with Ference credibility and objectivity in his interview. I shouldn't really need to spell it out.

Do you agree with all his comments?

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
He tried to lead. Part of being a good leader is getting people to follow. Clearly Ference failed there. That’s why I said you could question his methods.

I, however, value the opinion of a 14-year veteran pro with a Stanley Cup on his resume. That, combined with many things I witnessed firsthand, plus countless stories I heard from friends in the industry, physios working at the Glen Sather, etc. makes me more likely to believe a lot of what Ference says.

You don’t. That’s fine. I’m not here to change your mind. As if that’s bloody likely anyways :laugh:

I liked Hall as a dude. He was good to me. I liked Hall as a player. I’m glad he’s done well. I still can put that aside and believe there’s a lot of validity in Ference’s words.

I don't subscribe to the SC resume line of thinking. Some players are simply bit players. Theres nothing much magical contained in that and although teams try to get that out of a bottle it doesn't always imbue what is wanted. The Kings for example went with Justin Williams, a prior Winner, and he played a good role for him, but that guy was a playoff god, a goal scorer, and a money guy that made differences in SC playoff games.

I feel a bit sad that Ference stated what he did. Because its self destructive, more than anything, to have stated what he did and bookend his comments with things that lack credibility. His takes on Lucic and Eakins here for instance.

haha. Good one with the bolded. No trouble laughing at myself. I can acknowledge it, but you're stubborn as well. peace out.

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
You mean the veracity of saying poor Lucic is being unfairly treated by the fans here and Eakins "was a great coach" X2.

Theres some obvious difficulty with Ference credibility and objectivity in his interview. I shouldn't really need to spell it out.

Do you agree with all his comments?
No. I think his commentary that Eakins was a good coach was beyond laughable.He likely shouldn't have defended Lucic (who by all accounts does act like a pro) in the fashion he did.
With respect to the remainder (I think, Im not going to go back & read it all) , I'm guessing there's a ton of merit to it. There's been far too much mentioned in the past.
And again, what does been good bad or indifferent have to do with the veracity of things?
And you don't seem to reference Strudwicks take (admittedly you would likely have to listen to almost the whole show).

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I don't subscribe to the SC resume line of thinking. Some players are simply bit players. Theres nothing much magical contained in that and although teams try to get that out of a bottle it doesn't always imbue what is wanted. The Kings for example went with Justin Williams, a prior Winner, and he played a good role for him, but that guy was a playoff god, a goal scorer, and a money guy that made differences in SC playoff games.

I feel a bit sad that Ference stated what he did. Because its self destructive, more than anything, to have stated what he did and bookend his comments with things that lack credibility. His takes on Lucic and Eakins here for instance.

haha. Good one with the bolded. No trouble laughing at myself. I can acknowledge it, but you're stubborn as well. peace out.
Very fair response.
Glad you chuckled at the bolded haha
Cheers.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
it is interesting to see how the local media is reporting this and how many are tossing Ference under the bus suggesting he may in fact have been the problem

i wouldn't be surprised if a few posters or readers here are media or twitter folk like woodguy who maybe support hall. and they have the power to push their narrative through their avenues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->