Interesting insight from Andrew Ference (31 Thoughts: The Podcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Its cute Andrew, that 90% of your posts, still 3 years later, are hating on Taylor Hall. ;)

jk

But you get the drift.

As for the Dreger part you know my opinion, and I agree that McBlowe probably didn't see eye to eye with Hall. But I fault them more for that then the Most Valuable player.

i don't dislike hall as much as it seems. i mainly really hate the whining and pining over a player that was overrated here and part of the cultural issues that plagued the team. it was the right move to trade him. no doubt. does he deserve that much hate... maybe not... but fans here are passionate and some feel he was definitely one of the root problems with the culture. it's backed by many sources that have come out and that people have heard from close to the team. either way, it's probably good to move on.... but i won't bet on that happening any time soon.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
How do you know he did?
He spoke publicly along with Smid, early in his first season here about how the young core needed to be more accountable for their play if the team was going to start winning. The guy was a veteran player who had previously been in winning environments yet felt the need to go public. That tells me nothing else was working. Less than a week later Smid was traded. Management sent a message to Ference and he backed off after that. I’m sure he tried and when management wouldn’t back him up he stopped trying.

Reactions: TB12

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I don't think he was the problem but I think he was part of it.
Agreed.
I think management cleaned out the top skill guys too soon in an attempt to tank, then expected the kids to fill first-line roles and be veteran leaders, and then brought in some over-the-hill, overrated vets to right the ship when losing poisoned the atmosphere. To me, it’s all on terrible, terrible management, who got nothing of what they hoped, and exactly what they deserved, until McDavid fell into their laps. All the Hall BS and the retirees taking shots at overwhelmed stars - on incredibly bad teams - are just the symptoms of rotten management.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
If you're asking why people are championing Ference's words, then it's because they believe that Hall had a massive negative influence on the club.

If you're asking that question to me specifically, then no, we shouldn't champion Ference nor should we be defending Hall. I would blame the organization for indirectly creating a negative locker room environment.

In all likelihood, Hall was an ******* and ringleader of the young group that disrupted the locker room while Ference and the older crowd weren't talented enough to command their respect. Hall and co. probably felt like management failed them in their 12-13 playoff push and were pissed off that Krueger got fired. Eakins and Ference came in with a "my way or the highway" approach, which would be frustrating for someone if they feel like the problems were otherwise, and quit on them once results went sour. Eakins and Ference probably felt like Hall and co were unprofessional and unwilling to listen. Eakins was not skilled enough with people to make the locker room harmonious, and he wasn't good enough as a coach to command everyone's respect. Eventually, everyone checked out into their own cliques (if they were even lucky enough to have one).

Firing Renney was a big blunder, and firing Krueger was a massive one. Getting rid of Horcoff, who connected with everyone in the locker room, was a mistake too even though we, the fans, all wanted rid of him as a player.

So if you're asking me, then I would say Tambellini fired the first shot in ruining the team dynamic and MacTavish fired the next five.
Probably the best assessment of the situation in this thread. The nastiest villain here was the management. Others played a part but it starts and finishes with the utter incompetence of people like Katz, Lowe, Tambellini, Mactavish and Eakins.

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Was Eberle or Hall who commented that they were amused that when the hit Whyte Ave after an afternoon game out east people were shocked to see them back in town--I think the comment was some people underestimated how transportation worked
It was Hall and Whitney and there was no mention of afternoon games. What they made clear all by themselves was the first thing they were doing after getting home from a road game was going out partying. I’m kind of surprised it took so long for that story to be brought up in this thread.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It was Hall and Whitney and there was no mention of afternoon games. What they made clear all by themselves was the first thing they were doing after getting home from a road game was going out partying. I’m kind of surprised it took so long for that story to be brought up in this thread.

usually when I bring stuff like that up there is a large group who refuse to accept it might have happened

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
i don't dislike hall as much as it seems. i mainly really hate the whining and pining over a player that was overrated here and part of the cultural issues that plagued the team. it was the right move to trade him. no doubt. does he deserve that much hate... maybe not... but fans here are passionate and some feel he was definitely one of the root problems with the culture. it's backed by many sources that have come out and that people have heard from close to the team. either way, it's probably good to move on.... but i won't bet on that happening any time soon.

dr-evil-right.gif

Reactions: frag2

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Ference needs a slap upside the head. He has nothing better to do than slander former teammates? He was a garbage player and a worse captain, he should shut his mouth and if he thinks Eakins was a good coach it just proves he knows nothing

Reactions: Boom not bust

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Yeah I'm sure those teams were bad because of the partying and not because players like Ference were playing 20+ minutes a night.

Guy is the worst captain in Oilers history and I've yet to see him acknowledge that his **** play was a big factor in those teams being godawful.

You can ring a horse to water but you cant make him dink.

Course, when he can afford champagne hes drunk all the time and cant play worth crap.

Boom not bust

Nov 17, 2018
Edmonton
Just heard a clip where Ference kept saying 'talk is cheap' while slagging others. How rich. Like wtf did he do besides be a terrible player and leader. His solution apparantly is to throw his hands up in the air and blame others , who all played much better than he did.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Just heard a clip where Ference kept saying 'talk is cheap' while slagging others. How rich. Like wtf did he do besides be a terrible player and leader. His solution apparantly is to throw his hands up in the air and blame others , who all played much better than he did.

Its all about what the job is. He did his job.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Ference needs a slap upside the head. He has nothing better to do than slander former teammates? He was a garbage player and a worse captain, he should shut his mouth and if he thinks Eakins was a good coach it just proves he knows nothing

More ponies not drinking.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
[

Well, one of Strudwick or Nuge is full of ****. Geez I wonder who.
"To say that guys were going out all the time and were showing up hung over, I don’t remember guys doing that at all,” said Nugent-Hopkins, who has evolved into the best two-way player on the team."

That frankly defies belief

First of all, I listened to that show and Strudwick didn't say they went out to party hard. He gave his opinion on guys he's encountered who did go party hard and show up hung over. That's a separate issue. He also acknowledged that players grow and change as they get more experience.

He also said he didn't mind partying provided it was appropriate timing.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
We were paying him to sit in the press box, run stairs in the river valley, and kiss the coaches ass? If so, then I guess he did his job pretty well.

He was brought in to lead.

But with lemmings, you dont really want to lead where they want to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->