Interesting Info: Part XX (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Kind of a bizarre move. Puts the team at 48 contract. With 21 games to go, was this really worth it? Plus, TFW and Thurkauf have been better offensively in recent weeks for Cleveland.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Matteau has been OK, but I am surprised he got a 2 way deal. I agree though, if this is a straight call up, I would have tried Thurkauf. He's been playing real good lately. TFW may have started to cool a bit, plus I don't see what he would bring over Gerbe. I would give TFW a look next season, let him finish out this year in Cleveland.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Artemi Panarin minced no words and finally admitted what we all assumed: He was really upset when the Blackhawks traded him to Columbus during the 2017 off-season.

"When I played here in Chicago I (thought) I would play here my whole life," Panarin said after scoring his 30th goal of the season during a 6-3 Rangers victory over the Hawks Wednesday at the United Center. "And then that happened. It still confuse(s) me."

It was during that second season when Panarin agreed to a modest two-year, $12 million contract. He signed it to give the cap-strapped Hawks flexibility going forward.

"Chicago's pressed against the salary cap," Panarin told former agent Dan Milstein. "I don't want to be that guy. I want to play on a winning team.

"Give them the flexibility so they can retain the guys or sign the new guys because it's not about me. I'm young. I'm going to make plenty of money in my future."

Panarin's price for that loyalty was a one-way ticket to Columbus in exchange for Brandon Saad and goalie Anton Forsberg. It was a deal that incensed Patrick Kane, who had become fast friends with the talented, affable and joking Panarin.

Said Panarin: "I was not ready for that. It was a big surprise for me. I feel bad after trade."

"I love Chicago," Panarin said when asked if he still misses it. "Nice every time I come here. Enjoy it. It's a great city and thanks (to) the fans for a warm welcome. I appreciate it."

'It was a big surprise for me': Panarin still confused about why he was traded to Columbus

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Exactly. And if you told someone that a hockey player sulked and pouted his way out of a place he was traded to and that it was the good old boy Canadian instead of the Russian, they wouldn't have believed you.

If you told me one had spiked, frosted tips and the other didn't, I woulda f***ing nailed it, though.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
In the last chat with Porty on the Athletic he speculates that he doesn't think Torts will want to coach much longer. Doesn't give a timeline or timetable but he said his time is coming soon.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Saw this on Friedman's 31 thoughts blog:

"29. Pretty crazy stat about Columbus. The Blue Jackets have taken the fewest minor penalties in the league this season (167). Six times they’ve gone without taking a single penalty, most recently Jan. 16 in New Jersey. The last time this happened was the 1945-46 New York Rangers, who did it seven times. The record is nine, by Detroit in 1939–40. And it’s not like the Blue Jackets are a bunch of softies."

I was pretty surprised by that stat.

Reactions: Toe Pick

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Josh Anderson trade?
I think bizarre is the only way I can describe the Josh Anderson situation in Columbus.
He has one goal this year in a 26-game season hampered by a shoulder injury that might have actually ended his season. Although the team is not confirming that at this point.

TSN colleague Darren Dreger tweeted on Thursday that Anderson’s season was likely over and that the shoulder may require surgical repair.

Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen declined to comment when reached on Thursday.
Consider that the team announced back in mid-December, when Anderson went down with the injury, that he’d be out likely four-to-six weeks.

It’s been more than two months. And he may not play again this season.

Strange, yes. And I can only deduce is that there’s been a difference of opinion between the players’ camp and the team on how to proceed in terms of the injury and recovery.
All of which suggests this is likely headed to an offseason divorce. He’s RFA this summer but will be one year away from UFA status. Therefore, it makes no sense for the Blue Jackets to allow an arbitration award to walk Anderson right to July 1, 2021, and get nothing in return for him.

Either everyone gets on the same page here, which I guess is still possible, and the player signs a deal for at least a few years to remain on board in Columbus, or the Jackets have to do some asset management this summer and trade him while they can still recoup value. I’m betting on the latter.

LeBrun: Previewing the top storylines in what promises to be...

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

For any cord cutters. I had been strongly considering switching to YouTube tv but I guess not now.

yep... currently looking into alternatives now.

I've enjoyed YTTV since cutting the cord and switching to it 2 years ago.

But in that 2 years its went from $35 to $55... and now they're cutting what I watch the most?

Here we go again...

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Absolutely sucks, I’ve tried almost all of the streaming services and YTTV has been the best by far. Sling sucks, ATT Now is too expensive, PSVue is defunct, I guess Hulu is out there but I didn’t love the free trial.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Absolutely sucks, I’ve tried almost all of the streaming services and YTTV has been the best by far. Sling sucks, ATT Now is too expensive, PSVue is defunct, I guess Hulu is out there but I didn’t love the free trial.

Same .. And Of course YTTV just charged me for another month yesterday :ha:

Signed up for Hulu Live TV trial again... same price but I prefer YTTV's layout the most. (And the wife likes YTTV the best as well).

Reactions: DJAnimosity

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

For any cord cutters. I had been strongly considering switching to YouTube tv but I guess not now.

And up until this point I'd have strongly recommended it. :shakehead Funny thing is, five months ago when Sinclair was doing this dance with AT&T, they actively promoted YouTube TV. And those networks also just got dropped from Fubo. EDIT: And they haven't been on Sling for almost a year. Holy f***ing hell, Sinclair.

Doing some looking around myself, altho Hulu Live is probably a frontrunner. Sigh.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
My next YTTV bill was due next week so at least I lucked out there. Otherwise I'm bummed about having to change streaming services only four months in.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
My next YTTV bill was due next week so at least I lucked out there. Otherwise I'm bummed about having to change streaming services only four months in.
Lucky!

I've signed up for Hulu LiveTV since that seems to be the remaining option... It doesn't look nearly as nice/logical as YTTV. It also doesn't seem to offer the same DVR capabilities.. but my biggest concern right now is CBJ away games so.. it fills the void for now.

Wifey is gonna have to deal with it :laugh:

Reactions: Jive Pawnbroker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad