Interesting Info: Part XX (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
We might look at Ryan Murray as the best of the top-four today if he’d been able to stay healthy. He has averaged just 53 games per season over the first six years of his NHL career. The 29 games he’s already missed in 2019-20 fall into the same unfortunate pattern.
Like Galchenyuk, Murray’s name is a fixture in trade deadline rumors, though his injury struggles complicate matters.
“It’s the endless cycle, right?” The Athletic’s Aaron Portzline recently wrote. “When Murray is healthy, the Blue Jackets don’t want to trade him. But they can’t trade him (not for commensurate value, anyway) because he can’t stay healthy …
“If the Blue Jackets can trade him, the return will be underwhelming, and it might come with conditions that allow the trade return to improve if Murray plays a certain percentage of games with his new teams.”
Even at the time, though, Murray was regarded as a safe pick but not a compelling choice. Speaking under the condition of anonymity, various scouts told “The Hockey News” that he compared to Luke Schenn, Nick Schultz and Karl Alzner. Some of those players were drafted early, but their subsequent careers match badly with the expectations that come with going second overall.
“You could pick this guy and say, ‘He’s the safest player in the draft, see you later,’” one scout told THN. “Does that mean it’s a good pick? I don’t know.

Analyzing the many mistakes made in the 2012 NHL Draft,...

Reactions: Toe Pick

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

I don't have a subscription so I couldn't read. I do remember the Islanders offering their entire draft class to move up to #2 to select Murray, which was a testament to how highly valued he was at that time.

The Jackets draft class might have been
-Griffin Reinhart (or Morgan Reilly, Hamphus Lindholm, or Matt Dumba - the 3 picks after #4).
-Oscar Dansk
-Ville Pokka (or, would have been nice to pick up Pontus Aberg, just 3 picks later)
-Joonas Korpisalo
-Adam Pelech (Jimmy Vesey went immediately after, but pulled a "college graduate" free agent signing if I remember correctly)
-Josh Anderson
-Loic Leduc (Brett Kulak went two picks later and he's played in 200 NHL games?)
-Doyle Somerby - instead of the free agent route haha
-Daniel Zaar
-Jesse Graham (Conor Brown was the next pick)
-Gianluca Curcuruto
-Jake Bischoff

So I don't know that taking the Isles offer would have changed much for the franchise - of course, we don't know who xGMSH would have selected in those spots instead and if things would have panned out in a similar way.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Josh Anderson talks shoulder injury, possible long-term...

There’s an interview with Anderson in the Athletic where he says he will sign an extension “if the numbers are right” and says “it’s their decision, either they want you or move on from you, we will see” regarding the trade

He also says the 2016 negotiations are "water under the bridge" and he would "love to" sign here long term.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

There’s an interview with Anderson in the Athletic where he says he will sign an extension “if the numbers are right” and says “it’s their decision, either they want you or move on from you, we will see” regarding the trade

He also says the 2016 negotiations are "water under the bridge" and he would "love to" sign here long term.

"If the numbers are right" seems to be the potential sticking point. What do you base the numbers on? Last year? This year? Possible future?the "it's their decision" comment doesn't sound to me that the 2016 negotiation is completely under the bridge. We'll see.

Reactions: Fro

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
"If the numbers are right" seems to be the potential sticking point. What do you base the numbers on? Last year? This year? Possible future?the "it's their decision" comment doesn't sound to me that the 2016 negotiation is completely under the bridge. We'll see.

Seems like the same shit unsigned players always say...? :dunno:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

You can't totally discard this season, thats not how negotiations work, and his style of play is concerning to invest a long term deal into.

I think if Anderson had a good year (near his average NHL production) he was looking at a 6-7 year deal worth 6 mill per season. I think the Jackets, if they want the player and believe that this injury year is a fluke, should go to 5 million per season over a 5-6 year deal. Bump it up to 5.5 if he returns and looks like Josh Anderson again this season.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH

Those are some encouraging comments from Anderson and was happy to read them.

With all the rumors of him being on the block I wasn’t so sure he even wanted to stay regardless of numbers.

That’s not to say the numbers won’t be a major hurdle but it’s a positive sign he’s publicly stating his desire to stay put — unlike our favorite Russians.

Hopefully something gets worked out as I love the player. That said, I’d give it 40-60 he stays long term mostly bc of his agent.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
How do the Blue Jackets just keep winning games?

ESPN article that doesn't have anything notable in it, other than recognizing what we're already aware of as CBJ fans - Jackets win with defense and goaltending, and with the system Torts uses, it's easier to plug the next man in with all of the injuries.

From the article:

For the year, Merzlikins boasts the following ranks in the most important goalie categories:
  • Overall save percentage: .931 (first)
  • 5-on-5 save percentage: .940 (third)
  • Goals saved above average: plus-16.2 (third)
  • Goals saved above expected: plus-5.0 (sixth)
  • Shutouts: 5 (first)
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id...brought-playoff-wisdom-swagger-coming-canucks
As sparkling as those yearlong numbers are, they don't do proper justice to the run he has been on since taking over as the starter. He has won 12 of those 16 games, shut out the opposing team five times in an eight-game stretch, stopped 95% of the shots he has faced and saved nearly 20 goals above what we'd expect a league-average goalie to have done.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
But, few are more creative than Vladislav Gavrikov. The defenseman is already known for his “call me” goal celebration. And when asked, Gavrikov said the corresponding song would be … wait for it … ‘What is Love?” by Haddaway. Is it a reference to the cheesy film classic, “A Night at the Roxbury”? No. It’s not.
“It’s because when you sing ‘what is love?’ it sounds like ‘Vlad-i-slav!’” Gavrikov says without missing a beat.

‘What would your goal song be?’: Blue Jackets pick the tunes, we spin the … playlist
'What would your goal song be?': Blue Jackets pick the...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad