Interesting Info: Part XX (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Mailbag: Blue Jackets' playoff chances; Kubalik's case for Calder Trophy

I still see way too many offensive deficiencies to make this a playoff team.

But they have an identity and they are playing to it expertly. Torts has done a magnificent job with this squad.

I still believe a lot of their offensive deficiencies are due to the injuries and the depth of the injuries. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a top 10 offense by any means, but I see no reason it couldn't/shouldn't be in the mid teens. We've got good goal scorers (Atkinson, Bjorkstrand), guys who drive the net (Anderson, Dubois, Jenner, Foligno), playmakers (Nyquist, Wennberg, Milano) and young players who can provide a spark everywhere (Bemstrom, Texier). And that's just talking about the forwards. The top end talent leaves more to be desired, but I think our offense is decent when healthy.
I’m in-between these positions. I think we have just enough offense to compliment our current playing style to get us to the playoffs. Once we get there is when the savoring shortfalls will catch up to us.

.....Which takes me to the second post. As I look at the player descriptions (accurately labeled), I see 4 top 6 players and the remaining as bottom 6. Bemstrom may get to top 6, Andy will have to show me he’s sans lingering injuries, and Milano plays the press box line. Counting on Boone, Nick and Wennberg to score doesn’t inspire my confidence level. Give me a top 6 center (or crazy good wing) to provide more foundation and real top 6.

But to restate my original point: I still believe we make the playoffs if we continue to play this disciplined style under Torts.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Not concerned with the rankings or leaving out CBJ players. First none of their forwards deserve to be on the list. Second there are only 7 defensemen on the list and of the players on there I only have a few observations:

Carlson deserves to be on there but #8? He benefits by being on a very talented and high scoring team.
Maker is going to be (soon if not already) a star but does he deserve to be in the mid term top 50? 15 of his 37 points are on the PP. I think this is a bit premature and mostly about points.
Weber is a top 50 player this year? I'm going to have to disagree on this one. He is on there because he plays in Montreal.

The rest I have no issue with. Zach is (18th) and Jones is (19th tied) in points and are plus players on the 9th lowest scoring team (total goals) in the league. And to think these players have been considered to be having "down" years. Who cares about popularity polls. These guys are studs.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
The Athletic's look at how Jarmo may play the 2021 Expension Draft. I *think* the exempt/non-exempt is correct, although I'm not 100% sure re: Texier, Elvis, Gavrikov. I also don't think they will protect Foligno as he'd be a UFA - they may have a "hand shake" agreement or something like that if they want to keep him around. Then again, two forwards are required to be exposed. Will be interesting, but there's a first look at it less than 18 months out.

(Is there any way I can format the picture to be smaller?) EDIT - Link When I attached it the screenshot was huge, so I'll summarize below:

F: Dubois, Nyquist, Atkinson, Anderson, Bjorkstrand, Foligno (not sure why - he's a UFA in 2021), Jenner
D: Jones, Werenski, Gavrikov

G: Korpisalo

Would be available: Wennberg, Milano, Murray, Kukan, Savard, Nutivaara
Exempt: Texier, Bemstrom, Merzlikins, Foudy

Obviously there are a few others they have left off the list - for example, Harrington, if still on the roster, would be available. There are also some assumptions in there as Foligno and Savard go UFA in 2021. Robinson may hit the requirements to become eligible to be drafted as well.

Barring a major trade / shakeup, what's noticeable to me is the team isn't going to have a lot of forwards available. They need to have 2 Fs, 1 D, and 1 G be eligible per the expansion rules. So I do wonder if they will shift to 8 skaters overall to protect more defensemen. But anyway, there's a prediction on it as the roster stands now. Not sure we have a 2021 Expansion Draft thread out there or not.

Last edited:

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Pens have resigned their 23 year old top 4 d in Petterson to a cap hit of just over 4 mil, does this set a benchmark for resigning Gavrikov? Their kid has more games played in the NHL and I don't know a whole lot about him lol, just that I'm trying to comparables to Gavrikov.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
The Athletic's look at how Jarmo may play the 2021 Expension Draft. I *think* the exempt/non-exempt is correct, although I'm not 100% sure re: Texier, Elvis, Gavrikov. I also don't think they will protect Foligno as he'd be a UFA - they may have a "hand shake" agreement or something like that if they want to keep him around. Then again, two forwards are required to be exposed. Will be interesting, but there's a first look at it less than 18 months out.

Foligno could have a modified NMC? I know he has a 10 trade no trade clause, but wonder if there wasn't a NMC included in his deal?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

(Is there any way I can format the picture to be smaller?) EDIT - Link When I attached it the screenshot was huge, so I'll summarize below:

F: Dubois, Nyquist, Atkinson, Anderson, Bjorkstrand, Foligno (not sure why - he's a UFA in 2021), Jenner
D: Jones, Werenski, Gavrikov

G: Korpisalo

Would be available: Wennberg, Milano, Murray, Kukan, Savard, Nutivaara
Exempt: Texier, Bemstrom, Merzlikins, Foudy

Obviously there are a few others they have left off the list - for example, Harrington, if still on the roster, would be available. There are also some assumptions in there as Foligno and Savard go UFA in 2021. Robinson may hit the requirements to become eligible to be drafted as well.

Barring a major trade / shakeup, what's noticeable to me is the team isn't going to have a lot of forwards available. They need to have 2 Fs, 1 D, and 1 G be eligible per the expansion rules. So I do wonder if they will shift to 8 skaters overall to protect more defensemen. But anyway, there's a prediction on it as the roster stands now. Not sure we have a 2021 Expansion Draft thread out there or not.

If we need to have a goalie exposed, and Elvis is exempt, do we sign Thiessen to have him be the exposed goalie?

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Not sure this is the right thread. Elvis's instagram shows him and his gf having lots of fun during the break.

Cam posted this less than a day ago as well

Hope the guys get their rest

Reactions: Viqsi

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Not sure this is the right thread. Elvis's instagram shows him and his gf having lots of fun during the break.

Cam posted this less than a day ago as well

Hope the guys get their rest

Cam should definitely shoot more the puck and less the rope.

Reactions: Madifer

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Foligno could have a modified NMC? I know he has a 10 trade no trade clause, but wonder if there wasn't a NMC included in his deal?

As far as the expansion draft this is irrelevant. He will be a UFA after next year and I can't see Jarmo giving him either clause, especially a NMC, in his next deal, if he re-signs him at all.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Kiv isn’t exempt. I’d imagine we just keep him rather than Thiessen.
Thiessen is just a guy to have as a backup when someone gets called up. He is more of a coach than anything and they like what he brings to the goalies. He would just retire and be a coach than be involved in the expansion.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Kiv isn’t exempt. I’d imagine we just keep him rather than Thiessen.

Thiessen a) isn't on an NHL contract so can't be exposed and b) wouldn't be selected even if he was.

We *have* to have one goalie exposed who meets the games played & contracts requirements. Given Elvis is likely to be exempt (and no one really seems to have definitive answers on those rules), it will certainly be Kiv, barring a big goalie trade in the next 18 months.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
Jarmo getting some votes as the GM most unreasonable to deal with from agents.

“Jarmo Kekalainen … can’t even hide his disdain sometimes if he doesn’t like a situation.”

The NHL Agent Poll: Agents have their say on GMs, Gary...
3A05A671-4F35-420A-B6C0-13F7EDC8A6B8.jpeg
3B2D13D4-7D17-4091-8EC7-66DFCA979E72.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->