Interesting Info: Part XX (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
This is more than Seth Jones has said on the matter, fwiw.

What are your thoughts about what’s going on in the world right now, the protests in Columbus and all over the country, in the wake of George Floyd’s murder at the hands of police in Minneapolis?

Man, add it to the list of things in 2020, right? It’s been pretty insane. Being down here in the Arena District, I hear the protestors every night. I think they were down here (in the Arena District on Monday) night. It was pretty peaceful, but there were sirens and everything. I’m all for … obviously it’s awful what happened to the guy (George Floyd) in Minnesota). It’s completely unacceptable and we definitely need to see change. I appreciate the protestors going out and doing what they’re doing. I would say the violent part of it — breaking windows and destroying local businesses — probably wouldn’t be the way I’d go about it. I don’t believe that’s helping anybody by destroying your own city. But I do recognize and appreciate the protests. And it’s not just me, but everybody who wants to see change. It’s just gone on for too long.

Many, many athletes have made statements on social media in recent days. Evander Kane and Anthony Duclair have been particularly strong. What is the responsibility and what is the obligation of a player in times like this?

I think everybody — whether you’re an athlete or not — should feel just fine with saying whatever you want to say. You’re allowed to believe whatever you want to believe, or say whatever you want to say, whether it’s right or wrong. We see a lot of athletes talking about this situation right now because that’s what we’re focused on. And I know there’s been talk in the NHL the last few years, especially after the Akim Aliu thing came out this year. I’ve seen a bunch of NHL players comment, and it’s definitely appreciated. The more you can talk about it, the more awareness it creates, and awareness can lead to change.

Does the societal response seem different this time?

It may be compounded because everybody’s been locked up in quarantine, maybe. I’m sure you saw the video (of Floyd’s murder). That video was obviously horrific. The way it happened may have sparked a bigger outrage than in the past. Just the way the cop went about that. It was pretty gruesome and gross. That may spark it a little bit. I can understand the anger and frustration.

Q&A: Blue Jackets' Seth Jones on his ankle, his next...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Seth Jones about his contract:

I can’t believe it’s been almost four years (June 29, 2016) since you signed your six-year deal with the Blue Jackets, but here we are in 2020, and your current contract expires after the 2021-22 season. So you’ve got the rest of this season and two more. Is that starting to show up on your thought horizon, if you know what I mean?

It is coming up. Six years seemed at the time like … it seems like I’ve only been here for a couple of years like I’d have four or five more years on my deal. It’s gone by quickly. I don’t feel like I’m even thinking about it at all yet. I don’t really want to at the moment. But we’ll see where it goes. I love it here in Columbus, but there’s a long time ahead for us to still have that discussion.

Too early for specifics, sure, but what is your priority with the next deal, which could be the last long-term deal of your career?

I’ve definitely thought about that. I love it here in Columbus. The group of guys, the leadership group, the young guys we have … it’s been awesome, it really has. Really, to witness how it’s changed from the time I got here and when Torts (coach John Tortorella) got here … where we came from back in 2015-16 and to see what we’ve built here. It just makes you feel good, and it shows the hard work and the effort that we’ve put toward becoming a respected organization. Since I’ve been here we’ve been working the whole time for that. We’re still building and we’re not completely there, but I think we definitely have the pieces.

Did you watch how Artemi Panarin and Sergei Bobrovsky handled their last year before UFA status, and in turn, how the team handled Panarin and Bobrovsky in their last seasons? Were you taking notes?

Not really. I was still three years out at that point. It was definitely a distraction in the room, but it was easily dealt with. We did a great job of it, actually, both the team and Torts recognizing the situation and just going out and playing hockey. Really, that’s what everybody wants to do, right? You just want to know that … I don’t have a problem with guys leaving. I don’t. It’s part of the game. You see it in other sports all the time. It’s not as popular in our game, but you see players doing it constantly in other sports. In my opinion, you have to sacrifice happiness for winning sometimes, too. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Winning is my main priority and wherever I can do that is going to be the best fit. Guys get into the league when they’re 19 years old and they play until they’re 27 to pick where they want to play. They grind and they grow … there’s a lot of different reasons why a guy would want to play somewhere. It’s hard to hold a grudge. If the guy is hesitating to sign, you just want to know that when they’re on the ice they’re giving it 100 percent of their effort to win. That’s all you can ask.

You do recognize, correct, that your willingness to sign with the Blue Jackets is going to be a huge deal? It will be seen by many as a commentary on the organization, either way.

I think I do, I’m just not thinking about it yet. I definitely feel like I’m growing into a leader for the organization. Obviously Nick (Foligno) takes a lot of the bulk along with guys like Cam (Atkinson) and Booner (Boone Jenner). Savvy (David Savard), too. I’ve been able to grow into a leadership role here and be a stepping stone for the organization, help create a winning culture. And nothing else matters, really.

Q&A: Blue Jackets' Seth Jones on his ankle, his next...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad