Interesting Info: Part XX (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Nothing he said is wrong. He and Bob will both be UFA's at the same time and it will be a challenge to sign them both. Just facts.
Which is why I have been steadfast that there is no way I pay a goalie 8-10 mill per season. Just not a position you pay that type of money . Especially for a player that is great during the season , but brutally awful when it matters in the playoffs . All sorts of young goalies out there we could target , or for that matter , good goalies that get pushed out of a position by a young touted up and coming goalies . No way they keep the core together by paying Bob 8-10 million per season , and honestly, unless he carries us in this playoffs, he’s the one that should be traded before Panarin . We finally go out and get an elite player that can break the game open , and we let him walk. Just makes no sense

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Which is why I have been steadfast that there is no way I pay a goalie 8-10 mill per season. Just not a position you pay that type of money .

Old Guy guideline for General Managers - Your goalie position should not consume more than 12% of your salary cap.

An 80 million cap means you don't pay your goalie tandem more than 9.6 million.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I can respect that , although I don’t think Korpi is the back up next season , he needs to be playing and developing . And sitting on the bench the majority of the season is not how you want to develop young goalies . Until Bob starts winning in the playoffs , no way is he worth the money he’s even getting paid right now , let alone an increase . Regular season means nothing , if you are a liability once the real season starts , Call it what you will , this playoffs determines Bobs future in Columbus . Another bad performance , and my bet is the cbj will be looking elsewhere at goalie .

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I can respect that , although I don’t think Korpi is the back up next season , he needs to be playing and developing . And sitting on the bench the majority of the season is not how you want to develop young goalies . Until Bob starts winning in the playoffs , no way is he worth the money he’s even getting paid right now , let alone an increase . Regular season means nothing , if you are a liability once the real season starts , Call it what you will , this playoffs determines Bobs future in Columbus . Another bad performance , and my bet is the cbj will be looking elsewhere at goalie .
Three thoughts on this:
1. Dumping Korpi after being one of the two players being expensively protected from Vegas would be a scar on the pre-drat deal by Jarmo.
2. Indeed Bob needs to show something in the playoffs, but his performance might create a $2M or so variable in any contract talks. That adds complexity to the dilemma.
3. The Goalie pool to replace Bob may not be deep. Raanta offered great value, but the Yotes saw that, too. The last thing I want to see is a Scott Darling, Cam Talbot, etc. suiting up in a Jackets uniform.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Three thoughts on this:
1. Dumping Korpi after being one of the two players being expensively protected from Vegas would be a scar on the pre-drat deal by Jarmo.
2. Indeed Bob needs to show something in the playoffs, but his performance might create a $2M or so variable in any contract talks. That adds complexity to the dilemma.
3. The Goalie pool to replace Bob may not be deep. Raanta offered great value, but the Yotes saw that, too. The last thing I want to see is a Scott Darling, Cam Talbot, etc. suiting up in a Jackets uniform.
I’m not saying to dump Korpi, I think he needs to be playing every game at the Ahl level , and developing . Not playing 15 games at the nhl level.
Are you saying if Bob plays well in the playoffs , his contract is 9.8 mill, and if he plays poorly for the 3rd straight time , it becomes 5.8 mill ? I actually like Bob , but he’s way overpaid right now , for what he’s shown in the playoffs . My contention has always been , I don’t want to be paying a goalie 10 mill a season , and having to let the one dynamic player we’ve ever had , walk , because the cap . Not to mention the young core of players that will need to be paid in the next couple years . Here’s a list of Stanley cup winning goalies in the past 12 years ... Crawford, Quick, Osgood, Thomas , Niemi, Ward, fleury , Murray .

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Three thoughts on this:

Just one thought in return. Doubling down on a decision you think was bad doesn't make it better.

Not that I think it's time to bail on Korpi or that Jarmo bungled that (both conversations I don't have the patience to get into at the moment) but just addressing the decision-making process itself.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I’m not saying to dump Korpi, I think he needs to be playing every game at the Ahl level , and developing . Not playing 15 games at the nhl level.
Are you saying if Bob plays well in the playoffs , his contract is 9.8 mill, and if he plays poorly for the 3rd straight time , it becomes 5.8 mill ? I actually like Bob , but he’s way overpaid right now , for what he’s shown in the playoffs . My contention has always been , I don’t want to be paying a goalie 10 mill a season , and having to let the one dynamic player we’ve ever had , walk , because the cap . Not to mention the young core of players that will need to be paid in the next couple years . Here’s a list of Stanley cup winning goalies in the past 12 years ... Crawford, Quick, Osgood, Thomas , Niemi, Ward, fleury , Murray .
My variable is $2M, not the $4M you cited. The baseline? I don't know. How about $6.5M vs $8.5M just as a thought?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
My variable is $2M, not the $4M you cited. The baseline? I don't know. How about $6.5M vs $8.5M just as a thought?
Sorry , I was under the impression he’s currently being paid 7.8 mill . Current cap hit this year is 7.4 mill

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
But does he fit with the "identity" of the team?
A few people had that question. I happened not to be one of them. Big deal.

What was unrealistic expectation(and quite frankly flat out luck that it happened) was that the CBJ finished 16-2-1 to squeak into the playoffs. The odds of that happening (16-2-1) was probably about 1 in 20 or less.

I'm not counting the last game which was effectively a forfeit to Nashville.

But keep up with the cockiness Mr. Know-it-all:laugh:

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
A few people had that question. I happened not to be one of them. Big deal.

What was unrealistic expectation(and quite frankly flat out luck that it happened) was that the CBJ finished 16-2-1 to squeak into the playoffs. The odds of that happening (16-2-1) was probably about 1 in 20 or less.

I'm not counting the last game which was effectively a forfeit to Nashville.

But keep up with the cockiness Mr. Know-it-all:laugh:
*13-4-2

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
It's corrected. Check if you wish. Doesn't change my initial point at all.
I'm not really sure what your initial point was... that an 82-game season is unpredictable, so who could have possibly foreseen a 13-1-2 record during some arbitrarily picked portion of the season?

Reactions: thebus88

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
I'm not really sure what your initial point was... that an 82-game season is unpredictable, so who could have possibly foreseen a 13-1-2 record during some arbitrarily picked portion of the season?
When they play badly it's to be expected and reflective of their true talent level. When they play well it's an unforeseeable, unsustainable string of good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad