Interesting Info: Part XX (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
That is definitely true but he also usually is the one carrying the puck into the zone and he gets guarded tightly. If we had a left handed shooting threat opposite him I think it would help.

Maybe Werenski on the half boards with Jones at point? Or Anderson?

I've been pushing this for years now. But apparently having D-men at anything other than point position is not doable, even if they happen to have the best shooting and passing on the team.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I hope the Jackets go for a rental with a guy like Eric Staal or Kevin Hayes. In my opinion, the team is really solid in every other aspect. With a center upgrade they wouldn't be favorites over a team like the Lightning, but they'd have a good chance (30%+) against anyone. Time to go for it.

The Jackets are 8-8 against teams who are currently in the top 16. The record of the CBJ since December 1 against these teams is 1-4.

20 of their 36 games have been against teams currently outside the top 16 in the league.

The CBJ are the beneficiaries of a soft schedule so far. They'll play Tampa, Washington, Nashville, Winnipeg and Buffalo in Januray. These games will give a pretty good idea of where this team really stands. Throw in the Toronto game this coming friday and that's a good sample of good opponents.

If they go 4-2, I'll be mighty surprised.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The CBJ are the beneficiaries of a soft schedule so far. They'll play Tampa, Washington, Nashville, Winnipeg and Buffalo in Januray. These games will give a pretty good idea of where this team really stands. Throw in the Toronto game this coming friday and that's a good sample of good opponents.

I'll be watching those January games closely, but they needn't even go 4-2 to prove that they can win a playoff series. It's a random high-parity sport. Even a middling team, the type that would be hard pressed to go .500 against teams in the top half as the Jackets have, has a better than 15% chance of winning against anyone.

Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the most lopsided odds given out last year were in the Tampa - New Jersey series and I believe even there it was not worse than 15%.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'll be watching those January games closely, but they needn't even go 4-2 to prove that they can win a playoff series. It's a random high-parity sport. Even a middling team, the type that would be hard pressed to go .500 against teams in the top half as the Jackets have, has a better than 15% chance of winning against anyone.

Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the most lopsided odds given out last year were in the Tampa - New Jersey series and I believe even there it was not worse than 15%.

It would seem highly unlikely to me that +115 was the longest odds on a series. I'd check your info again.

IIRC, Washington was favored much higher than that in the finals vs. Vegas.

2018 NHL Playoffs Bracket: Updated Stanley Cup Odds And Pro Predictions For Every First-Round Series

Tampa was -300 and Jersey +250 in round one last year. A helluva a lot more than 15%. Not very random according to these odds makers.

In fact, all of the favorites won their series last year it appears. Results are not as random as you seem to believe.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It would seem highly unlikely to me that +115 was the longest odds on a series. I'd check your info again.

IIRC, Washington was favored much higher than that in the finals vs. Vegas.

2018 NHL Playoffs Bracket: Updated Stanley Cup Odds And Pro Predictions For Every First-Round Series

Tampa was -300 and Jersey +250 in round one last year. A helluva a lot more than 15%. Not very random according to these odds makers.

In fact, all of the favorites won their series last year it appears. Results are not as random as you seem to believe.

I meant 15% probability.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
fun fact:

the Jackets are the only team in the league with 4 defensemen over 13 points.

:)

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The NHL.com super 16 ranking made a 2019 prediction for each team. They predicted the Jackets will get Panarin signed and lose Bobrovsky.

I don't put too much stock into their prediction, but interesting nonetheless.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
fun fact:

the Jackets are the only team in the league with 4 defensemen over 13 points.

:)

What's funny is that they made that distinction a while ago - Nuti hasn't been scoring lately. But still no other club has caught up.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
The Jackets are 8-8 against teams who are currently in the top 16. The record of the CBJ since December 1 against these teams is 1-4.

20 of their 36 games have been against teams currently outside the top 16 in the league.

It's always interesting when people use logic like this to fit what they believe.

CBJ aren't that good because they're beating primarily worse teams. Yet, if you keep that line of thinking going - who is really good and who isn't at this stage of the season? Most teams with good records have played most of their games against teams with worse records. In fact, the relationship between a "good" record and a "bad" record is directly relative - after all, someone wins, someone loses...

CBJ can't beat better teams, because, reasons?

- these "better" teams, or upper tier teams alongside the CBJ in record are somehow superior - even though they've also beaten primarily worse teams themselves.
- the better a team is, the more likely it is that the team they're playing is worse.

And 'round it goes in the struggle to have it both ways and be critical of the CBJ while looking in awe at the greener grass of unfamiliarity and ignorance!

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It's always interesting when people use logic like this to fit what they believe.

CBJ aren't that good because they're beating primarily worse teams. Yet, if you keep that line of thinking going - who is really good and who isn't at this stage of the season? Most teams with good records have played most of their games against teams with worse records. In fact, the relationship between a "good" record and a "bad" record is directly relative - after all, someone wins, someone loses...

CBJ can't beat better teams, because, reasons?

- these "better" teams, or upper tier teams alongside the CBJ in record are somehow superior - even though they've also beaten primarily worse teams themselves.
- the better a team is, the more likely it is that the team they're playing is worse.

And 'round it goes in the struggle to have it both ways and be critical of the CBJ while looking in awe at the greener grass of unfamiliarity and ignorance!

It's just a stat. Mellow out. It's just shows that the schedule has been pretty easy and that the CBJ haven't beaten many quality opponents of late.

Ostrich and Over Sensitive on!

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
It's just a stat. Mellow out. It's just shows that the schedule has been pretty easy and that the CBJ haven't beaten many quality opponents of late.

Ostrich and Over Sensitive on!

Plenty mellow here.

Interesting (non) response. Shocking.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I just thought it was interesting. Why are you so mad?

Not mad.

Pointless comparisons frustrate me, I guess. I mean - what are you trying to say? That CBJ should've kept Jack? That Werenski is worse than Jack? I'd like to imagine you have some kind of salient point to make, but I just don't see it. Thus the "cool story" reply.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Not mad.

Pointless comparisons frustrate me, I guess. I mean - what are you trying to say? That CBJ should've kept Jack? That Werenski is worse than Jack? I'd like to imagine you have some kind of salient point to make, but I just don't see it. Thus the "cool story" reply.

I am not sure if the CBJ should have kept Jack, for the right price on the bottom pair sure; but Werenski is much much better.

I wasn’t making a point, I just find it interesting that +\- is a statistical category that JJ does historically bad in, and our #2 dman is worse than him, while playing on a better team this season.

I didn’t think many people were aware of ZW’s low +\- so I just found it interesting, it was lower than I thought.

DEF

Oct 24, 2008
White Castle's
Al Michaels and Chris Collinsworth are wearing zip up pull overs on Sunday night football. Torts setting a fashion trend.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I am not sure if the CBJ should have kept Jack, for the right price on the bottom pair sure; but Werenski is much much better.

I wasn’t making a point, I just find it interesting that +\- is a statistical category that JJ does historically bad in, and our #2 dman is worse than him, while playing on a better team this season.

I didn’t think many people were aware of ZW’s low +\- so I just found it interesting, it was lower than I thought.

fair enough. I guess I can see where it would be curious if you believe +/- is a meaningful stat (I don't).

Too many interpret it as an individual stat when it is anything but that. The only goal stat that really interests me is team goal differential, particularly on a given night ;)

As far as comparison - different teams, different people on the ice, different matchups - I just don't know how you could compare it. I'm sure there are tons of surprising names at -9 or thereabouts. Drew Doughty is -11 - who wouldn't take him in any circumstance?

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
The NHL.com super 16 ranking made a 2019 prediction for each team. They predicted the Jackets will get Panarin signed and lose Bobrovsky.

I don't put too much stock into their prediction, but interesting nonetheless.
I'd be quite happy with that outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad