Interesting Info: Part XX (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
54 on-ice goals against is something like 65th in the league among skaters. It's three less than Evgeni Malkin. Ivan Provorov has 82, for comparison.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Plus/minus is a god awful stat and something that should be thrown away...

However, the 38% of all PIT goals against thing is absolutely alarming. Yikes.

The Penguins give up a goal about every 17 and a half minutes when Johnson is on the ice, easily the worst on their team.

For context, that's still not quite as bad as the Jackets worst - Brandon Dubinsky, who is just under 17 minutes per goal against, but Dubinsky has harder deployments than Johnson.

I think the goals stats, for and against, that go into plus/minus are very useful in the context of usage and teammate performance. That and people need to be mindful of how much these numbers can vary from one stretch of games to the next.

Some things are consistent - Dubinsky is bad at it, and his numbers have gotten worse as the season has gone along. In the last 16 games Dubinsky is on the ice for a goal against about every 16 minutes. Wennberg was among the best but stumbled at the start of this year. Lately he's back to being the best - there's only 3 goals against with Wennberg on the ice in 16 games, that's over 200 minutes of 5v5 playing time.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
From the Athletic regarding Oilers GM search. Zito is just one of many mentioned on potential GM list by LeBrun.

Bill Zito

The Blue Jackets assistant GM is as smart as they come. The former agent has been a key cog in Jarmo Kekalainen’s operation, running the AHL team while steering the ship on contracts and CBA matters. His interview for the Buffalo GM position a few years ago went very well and he’s prime for an opportunity if an owner is willing to take a chance on an up-and-comer.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
So, uh, the Caps have given up 37 goals and hat tricks in 3 consecutive games since Atkinson poked Holtby in the eye...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
With all this drama and news with Panarin, we have a game tomorrow, and the next few games are going to be.

BUF
@ WPG
STL
@ COL
@ ARI
@ VGK
WSH
NYI
@ CHI
TB

That's a yikes stretch right there. A bad stretch of games could find us below the playoff line and make the Panarin/Bob decisions easy.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
With all this drama and news with Panarin, we have a game tomorrow, and the next few games are going to be.

BUF
@ WPG
STL
@ COL
@ ARI
@ VGK
WSH
NYI
@ CHI
TB

That's a yikes stretch right there. A bad stretch of games could find us below the playoff line and make the Panarin/Bob decisions easy.

Maybe, but I think we are better than the other team in 6 of those games. The rest? We'll see.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

BUF
@ WPG
STL
@ COL
@ ARI
@ VGK
WSH
NYI
@ CHI
TB

Rough stretch.
12 points would be decent.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Teams to never win a playoff round

MLB - Nationals (includes Expos but not either Senators)
NFL - none (Texans have never won a game past the Wild Card round, every other team has won a Divisional game since the merger)
checking NBA now

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

NFL - none (Texans have never won a game past the Wild Card round, every other team has won a Divisional game since the merger)
checking NBA now

The Nationals are my go-to baseball team (not that I'm a baseball fan).

...is it me?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

checking NBA now

These stats are relative to the existence of the team. The CBJ had only been around since 2000 but a team like the Bengals haven't won a playoff game since 1990 even thought they have won games in prior seasons. I'd be more interested in counting backwards on how long it has been since they've won a playoff series. The Leafs haven't won a series in the end of the 2003-2004 season for example which doesn't make them much better than the CBJ.

Reactions: Monk and thebus88

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
By the way, I checked MLS as well. Five teams there have never won a playoff round (six if you count a defunct team).

Vancouver has lost three times (two in knockout round, got a bye to the conference semis once)
Philadelphia has lost twice (once in knockout, one bye)
New York City has lost once (bye to conference semis)
Orlando and Minnesota have never made the playoffs

Chivas USA (defunct) lost all four conference semis they played in (I believe they predated the knockout round)

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
On a total side note, I didn't see anyone mention this when it happened (probably because we've all been distracted by the Panarin situation), but apparently just before the All-Star Break John Tortorella became the longest tenured coach in CBJ history. Right now he's ahead of Hitch by five games and counting.

Ironically, I found out because someone was going back to the old "he wears out his welcome fast, it's happening right now" trope in a mains thread (you know, the same old thing that's been repeated every year he's been here) and I was pretty sure he was getting close to that mark and so looked it up as part of a "please stop repeating that garbage" rebuttal. I didn't expect to find out that he'd already surpassed it. :)

Reactions: Toe Pick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad