Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I would rather not add, but Cam Fowler is worth a ROR.

So is Vlasic, signed or unsigned.

Unfortunately the Avs aren't in any position to acquire both most likely. But it really would be interesting if Anaheim for some reason moved Fowler.

Wiz and Beauch aren't exactly guys you build around, Beauch is getting old and Wiz isn't getting any younger. Lindholm and Vatanen are good pieces, but Vatanen is more of a #5 than a 1st or 2nd pairing guy. Despres was a steal (quite jealous) and Theodore is in the system.

So do you move Fowler for more offensive firepower when you have Perry, Getzlaf, Kesler and a host of young guys like Rakell, Palmieri, Etem, Sekac and Silfverberg? Re-sign Flash? I will be curious to see their cap situation for next year given their budget level team.

I do know one thing, if we could get either Fowler or Palmieri out of Anaheim we'd be robbing them blind regardless of the deal unless Roy went crazy and sent them MacKinnon.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
So is Vlasic, signed or unsigned.

Unfortunately the Avs aren't in any position to acquire both most likely. But it really would be interesting if Anaheim for some reason moved Fowler.

Wiz and Beauch aren't exactly guys you build around, Beauch is getting old and Wiz isn't getting any younger. Lindholm and Vatanen are good pieces, but Vatanen is more of a #5 than a 1st or 2nd pairing guy. Despres was a steal (quite jealous) and Theodore is in the system.

So do you move Fowler for more offensive firepower when you have Perry, Getzlaf, Kesler and a host of young guys like Rakell, Palmieri, Etem, Sekac and Silfverberg? Re-sign Flash? I will be curious to see their cap situation for next year given their budget level team.

I do know one thing, if we could get either Fowler or Palmieri out of Anaheim we'd be robbing them blind regardless of the deal unless Roy went crazy and sent them MacKinnon.

I love Palmieri. Been a fan of his for a while.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Thats true, but they still have all these guys under contract next season and will need to sort through it. Will be interesting to see how they handle it. Top 6 is more or less set barring trades with Duchene, Landy, Iginla, O'Reilly, Mack, and Tangs.

But bottom 6 has Mitchell, McLoed, Everberg, Bordy, Cliche, McGinn, Rendulic, Winchester, and Hamilton already under contract for next year, plus Hishon and Caron as RFA's (and Briere as a UFA, but I highly doubt he factors in). So, they already have 9 guys fighting for 7 roster spots, plus other options under team control, and the possibility of adding Baun. I'm not saying it's a great group, but it's a crowded group for sure.

Hamilton is a RFA, just fyi.

It might be crowded but it's a flexible group in the sense that a lot of the guys can be placed in LE. Cliche wouldn't cost a thing, cap wise. Rendulic and Hamilton are waiver exempt and wouldn't count towards the cap. Winchester wouldn't have a hit either. Pretty sure Everberg is even still waiver exempt. Baun would be in the same boat. Bordy would only cost like 100k to send down.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Thanks. Thought it was somewhere around there. I can't believe he is only at 47. Didn't seem like he was out that long.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
I would really like for the Avs to move a couple people from their bottom 6 this summer. It is getting way too crowded and there's little room for growth for guys like Everberg and Rendulic. They have Mitchell, McGinn, McLeod, Bordeleau, Cliche, Everberg, Winchester, Rendulic, and possibly Caron, Hamilton, and Hishon. I can see Bordeleau being dealt with the McLeod extension and maybe Cliche being sent down. I think that was the plan for Cliche to be pushed out, but injuries at the start of the year said otherwise.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
I would really like for the Avs to move a couple people from their bottom 6 this summer. It is getting way too crowded and there's little room for growth for guys like Everberg and Rendulic. They have Mitchell, McGinn, McLeod, Bordeleau, Cliche, Everberg, Winchester, Rendulic, and possibly Caron, Hamilton, and Hishon. I can see Bordeleau being dealt with the McLeod extension and maybe Cliche being sent down. I think that was the plan for Cliche to be pushed out, but injuries at the start of the year said otherwise.

Safe to say McGinn, McLeod, Bordeleau are staying around. Everberg and Cliché as depth. The rest are AHLs guys.

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
Colorado Avalanche ‏@Avalanche 45s45 seconds ago Denver, CO
NEWS: The #Avs have signed defenseman Mason Geertsen to an entry-level contract.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Rendulic will likely start next season in the AHL, while Everberg and Mitchell will likely start on the 3rd line. McLeod and Winchester (if he can play) will be on the 4th line. Cliche will be playing in the AHL full-time, as will Hamilton and I don't believe Caron will be qualified. If so, he'll be an AHL player all year long, too. Bordeleau will be the 12th/13th forward. I maintain that McGinn will be traded this summer. Just a hunch I have given his injury concerns.

In saying that, we only have Mitchell, McGinn, Bordeleau, Winchester, Cliche, Everberg, Rendulic, Guenin, and Redmond signed for an additional year, meaning they're all free agents (be it UFA or RFA) so there will absolutely be room to change up the bottom-6 and depth of the defence drastically by the 2016-2017 season, with McLeod likely being the only holdover.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I don't see McGinn getting traded until he gets some games in. Teams won't part with anything of value until they see him able to stretch some healthy games together. Sakic won't sell low either when he has a ton of options to send to LEM at no cap hit if the roster is too crowded (Bleakley and/or Hishon force their way on)

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Ginner at $3m on our 3rd line is a nice asset. We know he can go on hot streaks with some goals, and will always provide speed and physicality. He has consistently improved defensively. Just needs to stay healthy. Don't see him getting moved.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
McGinn is a free upgrade to the teams depth. Only reason to trade him is if the Avs manage to keep O'Reilly in town, McGinn plays well enough to improve his trade value, and the Avs need to use him to upgrade the D. A 2nd/3rd line tweener winger is exactly what the Avs were missing this year at forward.

In general the Avs should not be in a rush to move a single depth forward unless they are up against the contract limit. Keeping Cliche, Bords, McGinn, Mitchell, Caron, Everberg, Winchester, McLeod, Rendulic, Hamilton and possibly Hishon on the payroll is not a bad thing.

As others have mentioned none of them, outside of McGinn and Mitchell - both of whom are 100% on the roster if healthy, none of the rest carry anything worth worrying about if demoted. Why not have NHL ready depth at the go. Cliche, for all the crap he gets, is a perfect AHL call up player for 5-10 game stints as needed. That was what he was supposed to be this season if McGinn, Winchester, and Bords had been healthy.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Well at some point it is going to be about contract limit. I agree options are good and funny thing is this year they increased our options just half of them started out hurt. I believe we are at 36 contracts now for next year and a lot of the remaining will be to fill out Lake Erie, those 12 or so spots are going to go fast. I just don't see anyone like Cliche or Guenin who have spent the entirety of two years on the roster all of a sudden getting sent to Lake Erie. Yeah it could happen but I just don't see it. At best as healthy scratches. I don't think they trade McGinn either, they need him and I don't think a guy coming off a significant injury with one year left on his contract is going to bring a ton back.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
For the bottom 6, I'd be fine with..

McGinn-Mitchell-Everberg
McLeod-Winchester-Bordeleau

And if McGinn has to go up into the top 6 or someone gets hurt, Rendulic would slot into the 3rd line just fine. I'd guess Cliche would be the 3rd forward.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
For the bottom 6, I'd be fine with..

McGinn-Mitchell-Everberg
McLeod-Winchester-Bordeleau

And if McGinn has to go up into the top 6 or someone gets hurt, Rendulic would slot into the 3rd line just fine. I'd guess Cliche would be the 3rd forward.

I would really hope for better, especially when we have a healthy lineup, if it looks like that with a couple of forwards on IR that's fine.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Pretty interesting tweet here that RS retweeted, figured it was worth sharing.

Depth is very important, in that respect I agree with him. But I would take 3-18 minute a night lines over a strong 4th line any day. Avs of last season are a perfect example of this.

ROR - Duchene - Tanguay
Landeskog - Stastny - Downie
McGinn - MacKinnon - PAP
McLeod - Mitchell - Bordeleau

That's a 4th line that can play more than 6-7 minutes, but when your top 3 lines can each play 15-20, why waste a good thing?

It's such a shame we couldn't keep this going, Stastny ends up on the 3rd line anyways playing the exact role he wouldn't have had for another 2-3 years with us (18 minute a night 3rd line shutdown center) and we'd have had the option to keep MacKinnon on the wing or 3rd line center to develop plus ROR-Duchy together.

Hell, we could have probably have added Iggy too and traded PAP for dead cap instead of Briere. Then we wouldn't have added Stuart I bet.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Depth is very important, in that respect I agree with him. But I would take 3-18 minute a night lines over a strong 4th line any day. Avs of last season are a perfect example of this.

ROR - Duchene - Tanguay
Landeskog - Stastny - Downie
McGinn - MacKinnon - PAP
McLeod - Mitchell - Bordeleau

That's a 4th line that can play more than 6-7 minutes, but when your top 3 lines can each play 15-20, why waste a good thing?

It's such a shame we couldn't keep this going, Stastny ends up on the 3rd line anyways playing the exact role he wouldn't have had for another 2-3 years with us (18 minute a night 3rd line shutdown center) and we'd have had the option to keep MacKinnon on the wing or 3rd line center to develop plus ROR-Duchy together.

Hell, we could have probably have added Iggy too and traded PAP for dead cap instead of Briere. Then we wouldn't have added Stuart I bet.

three 18 min lines are better when everyone is healthy but ones the injuries strike, the depth is gone and you're toast. like us last season.

of course in that lineup someone like mitchell could play 3rd line mins. but one needs to have good depth in the minors.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Wasnt that always true about 4th lines.

Avs historically have never been a crazy depth team, its star power all the way to the cup.

Yes, however in the contending years, weren't those 4th line guys all/mostly good PK guys?

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Well at some point it is going to be about contract limit. I agree options are good and funny thing is this year they increased our options just half of them started out hurt. I believe we are at 36 contracts now for next year and a lot of the remaining will be to fill out Lake Erie, those 12 or so spots are going to go fast. I just don't see anyone like Cliche or Guenin who have spent the entirety of two years on the roster all of a sudden getting sent to Lake Erie. Yeah it could happen but I just don't see it. At best as healthy scratches. I don't think they trade McGinn either, they need him and I don't think a guy coming off a significant injury with one year left on his contract is going to bring a ton back.

If we are not worried about the limit then we are doing something wrong. This is a good problem. Just means we are adding depth. And 14 contracts is still plenty to work with. It's not like we have a bunch of must sign guys. If there are guys out there that we want to bring in we can easily make room for them. If we only bring in a couple guys then dropping our UFA dead weight might be enough and we can give all the RFA another chance. But if we bring in a haul like last year then we can just drop guys like Lauridsen (don't appear to have room in LE), Heard (just hasn't developed), Vincour (got his shot, didn't run with it) or Agozzino (career AHLer), or trade Hishon/Elliott (don't fit at NHL level). The key is that these new guys are actually better than the old ones.

I would really hope for better, especially when we have a healthy lineup, if it looks like that with a couple of forwards on IR that's fine.

Looks fine to me. But I have respect for a big physical line and what it does for a team. It would be nice to bring in a top 3C, but that's just being nitpicky and shouldn't even be a thought until we extend our big names and sign a Dman in FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00