Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Yes, however in the contending years, weren't those 4th line guys all/mostly good PK guys?

Yeah pretty much
I do remember the concern heading into the 96 run that Ricci and Keane werent going to score enough (crazy to think that Ricci was a 4th overall pick once upon a time)
But the next year DET just blew us out of the water and if wasnt for Roy it would've been over in 3 games
98 was well just miserable, like the whole year
99 they had crazy depth up front , that was a fun run

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Yeah pretty much
I do remember the concern heading into the 96 run that Ricci and Keane werent going to score enough (crazy to think that Ricci was a 4th overall pick once upon a time)
But the next year DET just blew us out of the water and if wasnt for Roy it would've been over in 3 games
98 was well just miserable, like the whole year
99 they had crazy depth up front , that was a fun run

I remember that depth line guys like Podein, Reinprecht, Reid, Yelle, Messier, Hinote (different guys in different seasons) all had more PK time than any Top 6 forward on the team, except perhaps Sakic. The scoring guys were always rested after a PK.

Not a terrible strategy, IMO.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I remember that depth line guys like Podein, Reinprecht, Reid, Yelle, Messier, Hinote (different guys in different seasons) all had more PK time than any Top 6 forward on the team, except perhaps Sakic. The scoring guys were always rested after a PK.

Not a terrible strategy, IMO.

It's what the Canucks have always done with the Sedin twins. They almost never kill penalties, but they always get the first shift after a penalty and it's usually a good one given they've been sitting for 2-3 minutes, maybe longer. However, we do have top-6 forwards that are arguably our best on the PK in O'Reilly and Landeskog, while bottom 6 guys, save for Everberg and McLeod, can't really kill penalties well and even then McLeod does tend to struggle and get gassed quickly

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
As I've said before, having watched Moses these past three years, I don't see him making a huge impact in the NHL.

Isn't afraid to go to dirty areas, has a good one-timer and is really agile and fast, but he just is a bit too small to make a big impact. Isn't very good defensively either so will be tough for him.

Although after his 2nd season in Jokerit no-one expected him to be successful in the KHL either. So who knows.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It's what the Canucks have always done with the Sedin twins. They almost never kill penalties, but they always get the first shift after a penalty and it's usually a good one given they've been sitting for 2-3 minutes, maybe longer. However, we do have top-6 forwards that are arguably our best on the PK in O'Reilly and Landeskog, while bottom 6 guys, save for Everberg and McLeod, can't really kill penalties well and even then McLeod does tend to struggle and get gassed quickly
Agree with this except that I would say that I'm happy with Mitchell killing penalties.

There are three reasons why I can't wait to have Winchester and Bordy back healthy for next year:
1. Like you said we should keep our top-6 players off the PK so they are fresh to change the momentum when the penalty is over. The Landy-ROR-Mack/Tangs line is perfect for that. Having Winchester back would give us Everberg-Mitchell and McLeod-Winchester to accomplish that.

2. Having these guys back will help increase our possession numbers which in turn will help in staying out of our zone.

3. Having a stronger bottom-6 will also allow Roy to use them more for d-zone faceoffs and our top-6 for o-zone faceoffs. I think this is one of the most important reasons why we couldn't sustain pressure on the other teams. We would have a good shift in the o-zone and then Roy would send out the 4th line to take the next faceoff which would kill our momentum.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Agree with this except that I would say that I'm happy with Mitchell killing penalties.

There are three reasons why I can't wait to have Winchester and Bordy back healthy for next year:
1. Like you said we should keep our top-6 players off the PK so they are fresh to change the momentum when the penalty is over. The Landy-ROR-Mack/Tangs line is perfect for that. Having Winchester back would give us Everberg-Mitchell and McLeod-Winchester to accomplish that.

2. Having these guys back will help increase our possession numbers which in turn will help in staying out of our zone.

3. Having a stronger bottom-6 will also allow Roy to use them more for d-zone faceoffs and our top-6 for o-zone faceoffs. I think this is one of the most important reasons why we couldn't sustain pressure on the other teams. We would have a good shift in the o-zone and then Roy would send out the 4th line to take the next faceoff which would kill our momentum.

The bottom 6 needs a complete revitalization IMO. McLeod, I respect him and love what he's done for the team this season, probably his best year as an Av since his 15 goal season, and I probably don't mind him on the 4th line but only if he's the 3rd best player on the line.

Ideally, this team if they're to be successful, in my opinion, needs to be structured like this:

Landeskog-O'Reilly-MacKinnon
Tanguay-Duchene-Iginla
McGinn-XXX-Everberg
McLeod-Mitchell-XXX

Could switch Tanguay and McGinn if need be seeing as McGinn is one of the few players that does have an ability to play with Duchene. But looking at that, it bumps a lot of people out of the lineup. Cliche, Bordeleau, Caron, Hamilton, Briere, and Winchester all bumped out of the lineup. I like what Winchester brings as a player from watching him the past couple of seasons, and if he could play RW on that 4th line great, but honestly this team's bottom 6 needs to be filled with players that Roy can trust in the defensive zone and can play a fast paced style that bangs bodies and can kill penalties. It will alleviate a lot of pressure from the top-6

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The bottom 6 needs a complete revitalization IMO. McLeod, I respect him and love what he's done for the team this season, probably his best year as an Av since his 15 goal season, and I probably don't mind him on the 4th line but only if he's the 3rd best player on the line.

Ideally, this team if they're to be successful, in my opinion, needs to be structured like this:

Tanguay-Duchene-Iginla
McGinn-XXX-Everberg
McLeod-Mitchell-XXX

Could switch Tanguay and McGinn if need be seeing as McGinn is one of the few players that does have an ability to play with Duchene. But looking at that, it bumps a lot of people out of the lineup. Cliche, Bordeleau, Caron, Hamilton, Briere, and Winchester all bumped out of the lineup. I like what Winchester brings as a player from watching him the past couple of seasons, and if he could play RW on that 4th line great, but honestly this team's bottom 6 needs to be filled with players that Roy can trust in the defensive zone and can play a fast paced style that bangs bodies and can kill penalties. It will alleviate a lot of pressure from the top-6

So then why would they not play Winchester on that fourth line? He's played plenty of RW.

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
As I've said before, having watched Moses these past three years, I don't see him making a huge impact in the NHL.

Isn't afraid to go to dirty areas, has a good one-timer and is really agile and fast, but he just is a bit too small to make a big impact. Isn't very good defensively either so will be tough for him.

Although after his 2nd season in Jokerit no-one expected him to be successful in the KHL either. So who knows.

I watched him twice live against Medvescak in November and February, always was more impressed with Omark than Moses...he is like the wind and all over the ice but I also don't think he will show much in NHL

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Roll 3 scoring lines again?

Landy ROR ???
Tangs Duchene Iggy
McGinn Mac Everberg
Mcleod Mitch ???

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

Tanguay-Duchene-Iginla
McGinn-XXX-Everberg
McLeod-Mitchell-XXX

"Complete revitalization" might be a little strong but overall I agree with you except for filling the XXX on the 4th line with Winchester.

As for the XXX on the third line, I would like them to bring in a good two-way player with decent playmaking skills to help Everberg and MCGinn.

All of this is assuming we keep ROR obviously.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think it was just more a why bother with the XXXs if he already fits the role

He can fit the role, but if there's an option in free agency that's better, or if somebody from the minors/Europe/NCAA comes in and fits better, then I'm not opposed to not having Winchester there, or making McLeod the 13th forward and signing a LW to play there, keeping Winchester on the RW

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
If the Avs were going to roll three scoring lines, Frolik would be an awesome fit with Landeskog and O'Reilly. So tenacious. That line would dominate possession, and be able to match the other teams top lines. Don't think the Avs could fit Frolik in though.

Landeskog-O'Reilly-Frolik
McGinn-Duchene-Iginla
Tanguay-MacKinnon-Everberg
McLeod/Mitchell-Winchester-Bordeleau/Hishon
Cliche

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
If the Avs were going to roll three scoring lines, Frolik would be an awesome fit with Landeskog and O'Reilly. So tenacious. That line would dominate possession, and be able to match the other teams top lines. Don't think the Avs could fit Frolik in though.

Landeskog-O'Reilly-Frolik
McGinn-Duchene-Iginla
Tanguay-MacKinnon-Everberg
McLeod/Mitchell-Winchester-Bordeleau/Hishon
Cliche

i'd put frolik with duchene. he needs someone who can play D.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I dont think they bring in one single new forward unless O'Reilly gets traded.

I have a feeling you could be right. As long as McGinn and Winchester are good to go. Back surgery and concussions can be an iffy things.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Agreed all around. Though even so, the Avs could adopt a subset of that past strategy. Pair O'R/Landskog on the PK, have the depth lines cover the other two forward PK pairs, and put out the Duchene line immediately following the PK. This requires Duchene and Landeskog to be on different lines, but that can be worked out pretty easily I think.

I've never been a fan of McLeod on the PK. He certainly gives it all he's got, but he's average at best as a penalty killer. Everberg is much better.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Personally don't think we are in a position to pay decent money for any FA's before we know what happens with ROR and what kind of money Barrie, EJ and Mac will be making the coming 7-8 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad