Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm not sure why people are surprised that a player who has given himself the nickname "The Natural", shaved "YMCMB" into his hair and photographs himself with stacks of money turns out to be a headache.

The guy oozes idiocy.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm not sure why people are surprised that a player who has given himself the nickname "The Natural", shaved "YMCMB" into his hair and photographs himself with stacks of money turns out to be a headache.

The guy oozes idiocy.

I love the side that always reacts by saying "he's just being himself" or "do you want the NHL full of robots?"

These types of things manifest themselves in other ways and cause issues on teams until the player matures. The only question is will the player mature, and when? It's certainly possible, but until they do it's an issue.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
If the price is not O'Reilly for Kane definitely I would do that, if it is O'Reilly then no thanks unless a left handed d is coming back (which I do not see happening)

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Also oozes talent. Possibly another Seguin?

He doesn't have anywhere close to that upside, but he could be a 30G 60P guy.

There's also a risk of bringing in the wrong person in that it poisons the work place. Anyone who has worked with a toxic personality knows how draining it is to just come to work and have to deal it.

I don't think Roy can fix players. I don't think he wants to. I think Roy wants a good locker room.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The team has to know why. Is he just that stupid or arrogant or more frustrated and immature. It's like Ribeiro, who was so bad a team with no money paid to make him go away and now he's flourishing in a new environment.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Evander Kane failed to show up in time for Winnipeg’s game in Vancouver earlier this week following an incident with Dustin Byfuglien and other teammates, Sportsnet has learned.

It was previously believed the Jets had made Kane a scratch for the game in his hometown. Following the 3-2 overtime loss on Tuesday, Paul Maurice termed it a “coach’s decision.”

However, multiple sources familiar with the situation have since indicated that Kane was not on the team’s bus to Rogers Arena and then missed a pre-game meeting. Repeated attempts to reach him were unsuccessful until approximately an hour before puck drop, when Kane answered his cellphone and said he wouldn’t be playing against the Canucks that night.

Earlier in the day, the 23-year-old winger is said to have had a run-in with teammates.

Kane wore a track suit when the Jets players gathered that morning — a violation of team policy. Following a brief workout and stretch, Byfuglien is said to have thrown those clothes into the shower to send a message to his teammate, according to sources.

That was the last the Winnipeg players saw of Kane until the team’s charter flight home.

I just find this whole thing funny. Kane is definitely wrong here and just showing more immaturity and being unprofessional but you really need to throw his clothes in the shower to send a message? That's some high school stuff. :laugh:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
So Kane just skipped the game due to team problems? Uh oh. Clearly not the type of guy we need in the locker room.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kane-skipped-game-after-incident-with-teammates/

Jesus...That's gotta sink his trade value right??

Not sure how much GM's would or should pay to get him after pulling a stunt like that but I have a feeling somewhere there is a GM that simply can't help himself and will still give something pretty substantial.

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham
So he pouted and bailed on the team after they took issue with what he was wearing? Seems a bit ridiculous and childish to throw his clothes in the shower simply because they were not up to code, but it sounds like Kane has a lot of growing up to do. Throwing a fit and announcing he won't play is ridiculous.

That whole team sounds ridiculous, is this high school? Buff – "I don't like your clothes, I'm throwing them in the shower, that'll show you!" Kane –*"Screw you guys, I'm going home!" (channeling Cartman)

What a joke.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Wait, there's a lot wrong right there and I don't think you can have it both ways. Edmonton fans were THRILLED with the acquisition of Nikitin AND Fayne last summer as this was supposed to really help them out. As it turns out, it really hasn't and they are anxiously awaiting any opportunity to dump Nikitin as soon as they can.

i'm not sure if they really liked nikitin. fayne had been solid top 4 guy in years with the devils. but with oilers, no support and no system he hasn't helped enough. i liked the fayne signing for them, didn't like nikitin signing. but fayne is still #4 and is not going to lead them to glory. they need a top pairing.

At some point, someone is going to have to realize that Corsi & Fenwick by themselves isn't something you can gauge an NHL player by. It can give you information that you can use to formulate PART OF AN OPINION but if you're going solely by that, you're asking for trouble. I've dumped on advanced stats a lot over the past 2 years because it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

How can :

P.Kane - Toews - Sharp
Keith - Seabrook

=

P.Kane - Toews - Sharp
Holden - Guenin

So if advanced stats had ANY VALUE, the stats for that forward group SHOULD be the same with one lineup OR the other. How do you think you're gonna do there? Without any context, these stats are stupid, useless and misleading.

no one (sane) ever said that they should be anything more than part of an opinion.

i'm not sure if understand your example. of course who you play with matters. that's one issue i have with them and on reason why i don't like exact rankings of players; i don't think we can say this guy is #45 center league or this guy is 7th best D in the league or whatever.

but in your example, the forward group would boost the D's (holden-guenin) corsi. they'd have betetr corsi when they are on the ice together. and when the forwards have better D behind them, their corsi would jump up even more. and when holden-guenin wouldn't be on the ice with forwards who aren't as good, their corsi would crater. we would clearly see that the forwards are driving the results and holden/guenin are what they are.

as for evander kane, i think the price is too high and if we trade ROR, i'd like to have another forward who can play very well on both sides of the puck; just landeskog doesn't cut it. there is not much room for another top 6 F if we get kane.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Also oozes talent. Possibly another Seguin situation?

I know there were rumours about Seguin partying a bit too much and the fact that he didn't know how to wash dishes or do laundry when he playing in Switzerland in the lockout, but he never pulled some of the stunts Kane has, at least to my knowledge.

The other thing is that Seguin was coming off two pretty good seasons before he was traded (67 pts and 32 pts in the lockout season). He had showed more upside than Kane has ever showed. He struggled on the scoresheet in the playoffs, but a lot of that was puck luck (same deal with his linemate Jagr). Additionally, he was only 21 when he was traded to Dallas.

Evander is 23, and will be 24 to begin next season. He's never had more than 57 pts, and he struggles to stay healthy.

Now, I'm not saying Evander is a bad player. Far from it, if he puts his mind to it, he can be a star in the league. But I think he's a bigger headache than Seguin ever was, and he's not going to be as good as Seguin, who is undoubtedly a top 5 talent in this league.

So, would I trade ROR for Kane? No. However, I would consider something like ROR + Siemens for Kane + Enstrom.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
So he pouted and bailed on the team after they took issue with what he was wearing? Seems a bit ridiculous and childish to throw his clothes in the shower simply because they were not up to code, but it sounds like Kane has a lot of growing up to do. Throwing a fit and announcing he won't play is ridiculous.

Coming in a track suit to a meeting when he knows what the rules are is him daring the team and his team mates to do something.

It's not a mistake you make. It's a deliberate provocation, sending the signal that rules doesn't apply to you.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I just find this whole thing funny. Kane is definitely wrong here and just showing more immaturity and being unprofessional but you really need to throw his clothes in the shower to send a message? That's some high school stuff. :laugh:

Meh...it's probably better than beating the crap out of him in a fight during practice.

Hasn't really been applicable in my life after the Navy but I remember several incidents that were resolved with stuff like this before they truly got nasty on the boat.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
That whole team sounds ridiculous, is this high school? Buff – "I don't like your clothes, I'm throwing them in the shower, that'll show you!" Kane –*"Screw you guys, I'm going home!" (channeling Cartman)

What a joke.

Yeah, sounds like Kane acted like a petulant child after his teammates shamed him, but if Byfuglien did indeed throw his clothes in the shower...seriously? What a lack of professionalism. I'm guessing Kane was not exactly liked though. Probably far more than just this one incident that set his teammates off. Before I read that story I would have said "yes" to Kane at a reasonable price. Now? I'm not so sure. Sounds like a locker room cancer.

But look at the upside. A division rival has locker room issues and one of their players just tanked his trade value :D

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I know there were rumours about Seguin partying a bit too much and the fact that he didn't know how to wash dishes or do laundry when he playing in Switzerland in the lockout, but he never pulled some of the stunts Kane has, at least to my knowledge.

The rumors of Seguin's partying are about as over top as you can get. Most of them are probably not even close to true, but even if 5% are... there was a serious issue.

For every Seguin 'getting' it you have 10 other examples of players that don't. Kane has all the talent to be a premier power forward, but he needs to mature. Any team that acquires him is taking a significant risk. Depending on that price, the risk might be worth it.

IMO Kane really needs to go to a strong organization with a very strong culture that can help him mature. I don't think the Avs have that strong culture yet, and I don't think he would thrive here... but if the Avs have decided to move on from ROR, there isn't a forward on the market with a bigger potential reward.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I'm pretty lenient on attitude issues. I have no problem with a player clubbing or taking pictures of all their cash as long as they back it up on the ice (which honestly Kane really hasn't done). But flat out skipping a game is 100% unacceptable. No thanks if that is true

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
The rumors of Seguin's partying are about as over top as you can get. Most of them are probably not even close to true, but even if 5% are... there was a serious issue.

For every Seguin 'getting' it you have 10 other examples of players that don't. Kane has all the talent to be a premier power forward, but he needs to mature. Any team that acquires him is taking a significant risk. Depending on that price, the risk might be worth it.

IMO Kane really needs to go to a strong organization with a strong culture that can help him mature.

Detroit would probably be as good of place as any. Send Darren Helm, a Winnipeg boy, and some extras back to the Jets. Don't see Detroit taking that headache or salary on though.

It would be nice for the Avs and Roy/Sakic to set up a culture like they have in Detroit. I know they are trying but it takes time.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
As more Kane news goes plublic, his value goes down. GO GET EM JOE!
Man I would love him on this team. And LOL at people calling him a grinder.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

IMO Kane really needs to go to a strong organization with a strong culture that can help him mature.

Do you really think the media in Toronto will allow him to thrive? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad