Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If Roy was into corsi, he'd play Elliott who is 1st among Avs defenders since he first played in the NHL.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
That's something I wish they took more seriously. I see teams hiring analytics teams and assembling teams with people with great Corsi and I haven't seen Colorado do anything like that.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That's something I wish they took more seriously. I see teams hiring analytics teams and assembling teams with people with great Corsi and I haven't seen Colorado do anything like that.

I do not want them to follow the fad and do that. Like it helped Toronto and Edmonton so much? To hire a smug blogger as an "expert" to tell them things they already know? It's a myth that the Avs don't care about these stats at all. Roy has referenced scoring chances and zone time , I doubt they do not have anyone internally who looks at these things.

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
Just realized ROR is my fav player.. Please keep him!
Especially with the names being tossed around as replacements yuck

Last edited:

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Just realized ROR is my fav player.. Please keep him!
Especially with the names being tossed around as replacements yuck

If it only was so simple.

I'd like to keep him as well, but not at the price he's going to demand.
So that's why I'm on board the ROR-trade train.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

That's something I would hate. Trust me, they already have some people who work on that, and have for a while. Every team in the league has. It just has become a huge story over the last couple of years because the Toronto media finally caught hold of this, and decided it was a new phenomenon. Besides, as TV said, it didn't really do Edmonton or Toronto, the two biggest Corsi-absusers of the summer in terms of hiring Advanced Statistics specific people, didn't benefit one bit. If anything the Oilers regressed :laugh:

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
I'm still wishful were all over thinking his demands.. So much can change in a year. Can't see us winning a trade I'd rather down grade the bottom defense or bottom 6 ~1.5 mil than lose what he brings on ice. Off too before this bump in the road all we heard was "captain material" "rink rat" bet the players don't care near as much as we do about his contract business and respect him a ton

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
I'm still wishful were all over thinking his demands.. So much can change in a year. Can't see us winning a trade I'd rather down grade the bottom defense or bottom 6 ~1.5 mil than lose what he brings on ice. Off too before this bump in the road all we heard was "captain material" "rink rat" bet the players don't care near as much as we do about his contract business and respect him a ton

I wasn't aware we could downgrade our defense. You mean it could be worse?

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
I wasn't aware we could downgrade our defense. You mean it could be worse?

You're right haha poor choice of wording. Suppose if we trade the leading take aways in the NHL for a package of scrubs it could be? Maybe sadly. Young guys coming up will be cheap for the next few years. Maybe target Methot aposed to Sekera and resign Hejda cheap.

member 116861

You're right haha poor choice of wording. Suppose if we trade the leading take aways in the NHL for a package of scrubs it could be? Maybe sadly. Young guys coming up will be cheap for the next few years. Maybe target Methot aposed to Sekera and resign Hejda cheap.

We won't be getting back scrubs.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
oh yeah, hiring analytics guy should've made bozak a legit #1 center, have kessel care about defense and make that defense way more talented.

and same stuff with oilers. no top 3 defenseman, no top 2 C, and many top forwards don't care about D. and this is what one would expect.

come one people. if one is going to bring up oilers and leafs as teams that hired adv. stats guy, one should also bring up a team like caps and panthers or red wings, tampa bay (or kings and hawks that have had analytics department for years). now i'm not saying their success is on analytics. but neither can one say that hiring analytics did nothing for oilers and leafs because 1) no one knows how much they are listened 2) there was barely any time to improve the team as they were hired after UFA was pretty much over. and i think santorelli and winnik were hired after leafs hired their analytics guys. those moves look pretty good.

if i were in charge of a NHL team, i'd look every way to get ahead and stay ahead of other teams, whether it's getting best scouts, scoutting methods, trainers, coaches or analytics or whatever.

Last edited:

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
McKenzie mentioned the Avs twice last week when talking about Vermette. Now Friedman comes out with his piece. I don't like this.

How stupid would Sakic/Roy look giving up assets to get Vermette after losing Stastny for nothing??? Even dumber if they pay Vermette 6M+...

I would rather pay Soderberg 4M if they are looking for a two-way center.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Wouldn't mind Vermette at all, solid player. Worth 6M though? No.

Exactly. I see Stastny as a superior player and he wasn't worth over 6 mil in Sakic&Roy's eyes. I don't see how Vermette would be either. He would just pure rental. I don't like it. This team has 0 prospect depth, we are in no position to start buying rentals. This team's time is not yet, our defense is just a big black hole. We need to fix that before we are gonna make anything happen in this league for real.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Unfortunately, we'd need to get a little creative with the accounting in order to fit ROR and a defensive upgrade under the cap. I doubt we start next season without some additional help on D. It should be an interesting offseason.

And do not want Vermette. Let him go to an actual contender this year then hit the open market. No way we pay his price in UFA.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
oh yeah, hiring analytics guy should've made bozak a legit #1 center, have kessel care about defense and make that defense way more talented.

and same stuff with oilers. no top 3 defenseman, no top 2 C, and many top forwards don't care about D. and this is what one would expect.

come one people. if one is going to bring up oilers and leafs as teams that hired adv. stats guy, one should also bring up a team like caps and panthers or red wings, tampa bay (or kings and hawks that have had analytics department for years). now i'm not saying their success is on analytics. but neither can one say that hiring analytics did nothing for oilers and leafs because 1) no one knows how much they are listened 2) there was barely any time to improve the team as they were hired after UFA was pretty much over. and i think santorelli and winnik were hired after leafs hired their analytics guys. those moves look pretty good.

if i were in charge of a NHL team, i'd look every way to get ahead and stay ahead of other teams, whether it's getting best scouts, scoutting methods, trainers, coaches or analytics or whatever.

It's still a fad to hire a team and the ones that get the press are those bloggers who got jobs. Who is to say who the Avs have or don't have? It's just the perception out there that the Avs ignore statistics and they'd instantly see the light if they hired a famous blogger. And then fans whine about it "I wish the Avs cared about Corsi", "I wish they'd hire a famous blogger". That whole part is total BS. I just think this is an area we have no information to judge what they do or don't do internally. The Avs don't have to be like every other team. If they do things differently that's fine.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The Avs do track stats... Roy mentions scoring chances all the time. They may not believe in corsi (can't blame them there), but they do track and pay attention to some things.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
The Avs do track stats... Roy mentions scoring chances all the time. They may not believe in corsi (can't blame them there), but they do track and pay attention to some things.

I think it was at a press conference where Roy talked about it because people kept bringing up Corsi so he talked about how they have their own stats they track. Think he mentioned they kept track of zone time as well.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
It's still a fad to hire a team and the ones that get the press are those bloggers who got jobs. Who is to say who the Avs have or don't have? It's just the perception out there that the Avs ignore statistics and they'd instantly see the light if they hired a famous blogger. And then fans whine about it "I wish the Avs cared about Corsi", "I wish they'd hire a famous blogger". That whole part is total BS. I just think this is an area we have no information to judge what they do or don't do internally. The Avs don't have to be like every other team. If they do things differently that's fine.

i agree with that (mostly).

doing this differently is fine; if it's better that way.

I think it was at a press conference where Roy talked about it because people kept bringing up Corsi so he talked about how they have their own stats they track. Think he mentioned they kept track of zone time as well.

i think roy has mentioned stuff like zone entries too.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
O'Reily stuff could always be worse. case and point.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 52s52 seconds ago
Many questions around Evander Kane and the Jets. Some medical issues to be resolved, but teams are calling and Jets are listening...hard.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
That's something I would hate. Trust me, they already have some people who work on that, and have for a while. Every team in the league has. It just has become a huge story over the last couple of years because the Toronto media finally caught hold of this, and decided it was a new phenomenon. Besides, as TV said, it didn't really do Edmonton or Toronto, the two biggest Corsi-absusers of the summer in terms of hiring Advanced Statistics specific people, didn't benefit one bit. If anything the Oilers regressed :laugh:

I'm not a blind Corsi follower, but I think it's unfair to make final judgments on those situations when they've had very little time to have any meaningful input about the current make-up of those rosters.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
O'Reily stuff could always be worse. case and point.

I see less value in Dreger's tweets every day. With phrasing like "listening ...hard", just report what you heard if there's actually value to it, don't try and add dramatic flair to spice up something obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad