Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Could the Avs get Kane + a d for O'Reilly + something?

I feel like Kane just doesn't want to play in winnipeg anymore, and yeah he has had some off ice troubles but nothing that he shouldn't be able to grow out of.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO

I feel like Kane just doesn't want to play in winnipeg anymore, and yeah he has had some off ice troubles but nothing that he shouldn't be able to grow out of.

I think the plus on our end would have to be pretty significant to get one of their D that are actually appealing. Would rather they focus on a D from another team and get a support forward back as an additional piece, instead of the opposite. A 3C or winger is a much easier hole to fill.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I see less value in Dreger's tweets every day. With phrasing like "listening ...hard", just report what you heard if there's actually value to it, don't try and add dramatic flair to spice up something obvious.

Sure, although everyone else is saying the same things. Lavoie makes it sound like something will happen today.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

Sounds like Kane's value has dropped a lot. Jets probably missed their window to get real value out of the situation, considering on top of the attitude issues, Kane hasn't been healthy or productive for a while.

I could see the Avs interested, especially since they have been connected to forwards recently. Bit I have a hard time seeing it involving O'Reilly. I could see them moving something for Kane now and moving O'Reilly closer towards the deadline or around the draft.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Why in the blue hell would we trade O'Reilly for Kane? What is the infatuation with a player like that?

Is it just because he was drafted 4th overall? I don't get it. People constantly want to discount O'Reilly and usually (as seen on HF Boards) it's because they say he was a 2nd rounder...well that doesn't mean anything other than 29 other teams passed on him (including the Avs in the first round) and the Avs were ecstatic to get him in the 2nd.

In most re-drafts, O'Reilly slots in at #4 overall, passing Evander Kane.

Keep Evander far away from this team.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'd love to have Kane but it better be more than just Kane coming back if it's for O'Reilly.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Why in the blue hell would we trade O'Reilly for Kane? What is the infatuation with a player like that?

Is it just because he was drafted 4th overall? I don't get it. People constantly want to discount O'Reilly and usually (as seen on HF Boards) it's because they say he was a 2nd rounder...well that doesn't mean anything other than 29 other teams passed on him (including the Avs in the first round) and the Avs were ecstatic to get him in the 2nd.

In most re-drafts, O'Reilly slots in at #4 overall, passing Evander Kane.

Keep Evander far away from this team.

I was hoping that O'Reilly could get the D and then the plus could get Kane but I am guessing that plus is a first round pick or more.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Winnipeg isn't going to want to send Kane within the division. They will have enough suitors that they can send him to the east.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
We don't really match up all that well anyway. It would help if McGinn was healthy and productive, as he could start a decent package. But, otherwise, we don't reaqlly have a decent young top 6 guy who isn't significantly more valuable than Kane.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Jack Johnson always seems like he could be a good fit, but anyone else concerned about his +/- history? Usually that is a team stat just as much as an individual. But it seems like JJ is an outlier, he is always really bad in the +/-. And LA wouldn't have moved him if he was a decent top 4 guy IMO.

It is good to hear that the Avs are looking at a guy like Atkinson. They need to find some depth guys that they can keep at a decent salary. Mac and EJ extensions coming. Barrie too, depending on where his play goes.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Unless something is going on behind the scenes, Kane seems to be getting a raw deal just because of his reputation. Haven't heard anything from him this season.

Apparently he's not at practice today.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm not opposed to Kane. Cost controlled, right age and we need wingers. Not saying it's a perfect 1 for 1 swap but it's not my least favorite idea. It's not like guys who are that age and talented are readily available or cheap. But if the Avs are interested they really have to figure out if it's a Seguin type situation or Chris Stewart.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Unless something is going on behind the scenes, Kane seems to be getting a raw deal just because of his reputation. Haven't heard anything from him this season.

Apparently he's not at practice today.

This all started because apparently he showed up to practice in sweat pans rather than the required suit. I don't think that is a reason to trade someone, but it could be the final straw in what has been a rocky relationship.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
There is probably a lot more to Kane and Jets than just showing up in a track suit to a meeting.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Apparently the track suit thing is "just the tip of the iceberg"

They've been putting up with this kid's **** for years. Should have traded him earlier as his value seemes to have diminished.

Not saying I want him in Colorado, but I bet he explodes once he's out of that franchise.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
oh yeah, hiring analytics guy should've made bozak a legit #1 center, have kessel care about defense and make that defense way more talented.

and same stuff with oilers. no top 3 defenseman, no top 2 C, and many top forwards don't care about D. and this is what one would expect.

come one people. if one is going to bring up oilers and leafs as teams that hired adv. stats guy, one should also bring up a team like caps and panthers or red wings, tampa bay (or kings and hawks that have had analytics department for years). now i'm not saying their success is on analytics. but neither can one say that hiring analytics did nothing for oilers and leafs because 1) no one knows how much they are listened 2) there was barely any time to improve the team as they were hired after UFA was pretty much over. and i think santorelli and winnik were hired after leafs hired their analytics guys. those moves look pretty good.

if i were in charge of a NHL team, i'd look every way to get ahead and stay ahead of other teams, whether it's getting best scouts, scoutting methods, trainers, coaches or analytics or whatever.

Wait, there's a lot wrong right there and I don't think you can have it both ways. Edmonton fans were THRILLED with the acquisition of Nikitin AND Fayne last summer as this was supposed to really help them out. As it turns out, it really hasn't and they are anxiously awaiting any opportunity to dump Nikitin as soon as they can.

At some point, someone is going to have to realize that Corsi & Fenwick by themselves isn't something you can gauge an NHL player by. It can give you information that you can use to formulate PART OF AN OPINION but if you're going solely by that, you're asking for trouble. I've dumped on advanced stats a lot over the past 2 years because it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

How can :

P.Kane - Toews - Sharp
Keith - Seabrook

=

P.Kane - Toews - Sharp
Holden - Guenin

So if advanced stats had ANY VALUE, the stats for that forward group SHOULD be the same with one lineup OR the other. How do you think you're gonna do there? Without any context, these stats are stupid, useless and misleading.

Agree with this 100%. The Avs should not trade for any UFA-to-be, I don't care who it is.

I don't believe their interest is Vermette. I get that if they are going to move O'Reilly that a guy like Vermette would be really useful in the lineup but at the same time, I don't see them giving Phoenix what it would take to acquire him (likely a 1st or 2nd + good prospect). At this point, since we're not even securely in a playoff spot, we could be potentially throwing away a lottery pick for a player adamant about testing UFA on July 1st. It's lunacy and won't happen unless they know they are extending him.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I don't believe their interest is Vermette. I get that if they are going to move O'Reilly that a guy like Vermette would be really useful in the lineup but at the same time, I don't see them giving Phoenix what it would take to acquire him (likely a 1st or 2nd + good prospect). At this point, since we're not even securely in a playoff spot, we could be potentially throwing away a lottery pick for a player adamant about testing UFA on July 1st. It's lunacy and won't happen unless they know they are extending him.

I suspect, and this is just speculation on my part, that they are only poking around Vermette to get an early read on what his market might be like in the Summer. You can tell a lot based on the asking price and who else is interested. Maybe something does develop that the Avs decide to jump on, but I don't see it happening.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I suspect, and this is just speculation on my part, that they are only poking around Vermette to get an early read on what his market might be like in the Summer. You can tell a lot based on the asking price and who else is interested. Maybe something does develop that the Avs decide to jump on, but I don't see it happening.

I've been wondering the same thing as well. Not just to get a read on his price, but also I wonder if teams sometime show interest in pending UFA's hoping it gets back to the agent like it often does, and they keep them in mind as a possible destination in the off-season. May give them pause about re-signing with their current/rental team they're traded to, if they know a team they're a good fit for showed a lot of interest in them, and still have the same spot open in the lineup. Kind of a workaround for telling a player you'll be interested in them as a UFA without it being tampering.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Kane is more along the lines of the elite grinder category. Fast skater, hard shot, will hit and fight, but he wears horse blinders out there. Doesn't seem like an overly intelligent player.

He fits what the Avs need in that he has size and speed, but I can't see him gelling with any of the Avs centers, except maybe O'Reilly, who would probably have to go the other way.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Lol at the people who say "keep Kane away" from the Avs.

The O'Reilly situation has gone sour and doesn't look like it will be repaired. He's getting traded.

If you can get a fantastic, young, 1st line asset back for him, do it. Although getting a defender still should be the absolutely number one focus.

And yes, Kane is a 1st line player. Sure he comes with some baggage but I think a market like Colorado with a player's coach like Roy would be great for him both on and off the ice.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007

The O'Reilly situation has gone sour and doesn't look like it will be repaired. He's getting traded.

If you can get a fantastic, young, 1st line asset back for him, do it. Although getting a defender still should be the absolutely number one focus.

And yes, Kane is a 1st line player. Sure he comes with some baggage but I think a market like Colorado with a player's coach like Roy would be great for him both on and off the ice.

That....................or Kaner and Mac go on legendary tears through Denver.

Maybe it could be a Seguin like turn around.

Won't be happening here though.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto

As much as the Avs need defense, if you can get the quality and term of a forward like Kane for O'Reilly its hard not to pass up. Yes you can grab a defenseman with O'Reilly but will he have the same upside as Kane? I dont think so

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think Kane's continued unwillingness to be a professional, and to think team rules apply to everyone else but him, is one thing to be concerned about.

The bigger issue in my mind in terms of acquiring Kane is I don't see him as a good fit on Duchene or MacKinnon's wing. Plays too similar of a speedy goal scoring game. Duchene and Nate need to be the speed factor with the puck on their lines. Having another guy with quickness is fine IMO, but they should be the type that changes pace a lot. Slows the game down to their pace and then uses their speed, or sets up Nate/Dutchy with speed. Not just another north/south speedster with the puck because that never seems to mesh that well.

Maybe they figure out a way to make it work, and Nate/Dutchy adjust their game a bit, but it seems like both have had trouble getting in a groove this year. Kane would just be another curveball to try to adjust to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad