Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Continue here

old thread : http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1815845

would read again.

It seems like mentally some pundits haven't realized what lower scoring levels means.

O'Reilly, since being used on a scoring line from 2011 and forward, is 33rd in center PPG with a 57 point pace.

There are only 15 centers on a 70 point pace and six centers that are PPG (Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Giroux, Tavares, Bäckström).

Add that O'Reilly is better defensively than most than a handful of the centers above him and it's bizarre to call him a third line center. If he's one Backes, Plekanec, Kesler also are.

Last season, there were under 25 centers with 60 or more points.

By the time I got to the top 50 scoring centers last year, I was getting into the lower 40s in points.

Ferraro just did a Chambers - throw some **** out there publicly without checking his facts. Simple facts to check, too.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 1m1 minute ago View translation
Penguins trade Marcel Goc to St Louis for Max Lapierre

I like Goc more than Lapierre, but doesn't St Louis already have too many centers?

Who cares. Anything to get that ******* off your team has to be a huge boost to the locker room.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
From the previous thread:

tigervixxxen said:
About the contracts thing, does it matter if we hit 50 say after the trade deadline or is there still a need to have flexibility then? And what for? If they want to say give Bigras a NHL look in April or something would his contract have to count even if it still slides since very doubtful he'd get over 9 games?

The 50 contracts rule still applies, but there is no 23 man roster limit after the deadline. They also got rid of the four recall rule that limited non emergency AHL callups to four post deadline.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I guess to clarify, when people talk trades it's often brought up that we are at 49 contracts and don't want to max out at 50. So my question is after the trade deadline is there any reason to worry about being maxed out? As in, are we able to make a 2 for 1 deal of need be or is there a reason to never hit 50 during any point in the season?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I guess to clarify, when people talk trades it's often brought up that we are at 49 contracts and don't want to max out at 50. So my question is after the trade deadline is there any reason to worry about being maxed out? As in, are we able to make a 2 for 1 deal of need be or is there a reason to never hit 50 during any point in the season?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the way it's written in the CBA, I believe it only matters if he plays 10 games. Unless there is another section that specifies a difference for players called up at the end of their season.

9.1 (d) (i) In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year

Just to clarify, they can hit 50 contracts. They just can't go over, and I don't think technically they'd go over in that situation until a prospect like Bigras plays 10 games.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Well, I just came off of a massive twitter argument with some users over what Ferraro said. Clearly won the argument v.s. Ferraro as he changed subject from O'Reilly not being a 2C to O'Reilly wanting $7M per season, but then A BUNCH of people came at me because I suggested O'Reilly and Bergeron are identical players who play the same style :help:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Well, I just came off of a massive twitter argument with some users over what Ferraro said. Clearly won the argument v.s. Ferraro as he changed subject from O'Reilly not being a 2C to O'Reilly wanting $7M per season, but then A BUNCH of people came at me because I suggested O'Reilly and Bergeron are identical players who play the same style :help:

He's not really on Bergeron's level yet. Bergeron has two 70 point seasons, two 30 goal seasons, two Selke trophies, a Stanley Cup, and an Olympic Gold medal. O'Reilly has none of those, but they are very similar players.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He's not really on Bergeron's level yet. Bergeron has two 70 point seasons, two 30 goal seasons, two Selke trophies, a Stanley Cup, and an Olympic Gold medal. O'Reilly has none of those, but they are very similar players.

I agree, and when I was arguing, I never mentioned the fact that he is on the same level as him, just that they are identical players. Both play a defence-first style of hockey while being able to put up 50-60+ points. People tried to justify O'Reilly not being on his level because of him not being on the Olympic team.... Guess that means Claude Giroux isn't on any of the 13 forwards' level either :help:

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl

I think Ferraro is jelous that his boy Landon who had been taken one spot ahead of O'Reilly still is just AHL-er and Ryan currently plays his sixth season in the NHL.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO

Well there's your problem right there

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I agree, and when I was arguing, I never mentioned the fact that he is on the same level as him, just that they are identical players. Both play a defence-first style of hockey while being able to put up 50-60+ points. People tried to justify O'Reilly not being on his level because of him not being on the Olympic team.... Guess that means Claude Giroux isn't on any of the 13 forwards' level either :help:

I guess you using the word identical didn't help matters. If they are not on the same level, they are not identical, they are similar players.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
O'Reilly is much more hipster than Bergeron. Bergeron is a little more business casual.
OHHH. you mean hockey. Yeah, they're similar.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
i don't think their styles are identical either.

Both defence-first players. Both good on face-offs. Neither is overly physical, nor is skating either one's best asset yet they use the open ice to their advantage due to their hockey IQ. When we played Boston, it was like watching two twins battle when O'Reilly and Bergeron were on the ice vs one another IMO

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
Both defence-first players. Both good on face-offs. Neither is overly physical, nor is skating either one's best asset yet they use the open ice to their advantage due to their hockey IQ. When we played Boston, it was like watching two twins battle when O'Reilly and Bergeron were on the ice vs one another IMO

Still, they are similar but not identical. That's where you got shutdown.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I wouldn't classify ROR as good on faceoffs. Average would be a better term. He is typically a 51-52 percent guy. Bergeron is a beast on faceoffs... more like a 58-60% guy. Totally different realms there.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

bergeron isn't physical in terms of big hits but he plays the body a ton. ROR opts to use his stick instead. bergeron is master at winning the puck battles and using his body to knock opponents off the puck or shield them of it. bergeron doesn't have great top end speed but he has very good acceleration and agility and that allows him to be much more aggressive in NZ than what ROR is.

bergeron is arguably the best faceoff man in the league. ROR is currently on red.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
bergeron isn't physical in terms of big hits but he plays the body a ton. ROR opts to use his stick instead. bergeron is master at winning the puck battles and using his body to knock opponents off the puck or shield them of it. bergeron doesn't have great top end speed but he has very good acceleration and agility and that allows him to be much more aggressive in NZ than what ROR is.

bergeron is arguably the best faceoff man in the league. ROR is currently on red.

ROR uses his stick a lot, yes, but he uses his body to shield players or gain inside position to leverage. He, too, is a master at winning puck battles along the boards. Don't think that one is more physical than the other.

Bergeron is to me the slightly better player, but O'Reilly isn't far behind. I do believe that Bergeron gets all the recognition he receives because of the Bruins' playoff runs and the mainstream media getting to see him a lot. He wasn't getting this recognition when he was putting up 70 points early on in his career. The same will be said about O'Reilly once we go on our runs. I remember back in 2010 during the Olympics, everyone seemed to believe that having Bergeron on the team wasn't smart and how he would be an absolute liability out there. Now, you can't have a team without him, yet the player has not changed his style one bit :laugh:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Bergeron has had the opportunity to shine on big stages and has always responded in a remarkable fashion. O'Reilly never got those WJC chances or anything. They are similar players, Bergeron is the better skater and has better hands, but O'Reilly can easily flourish into that type of player. Nobody can look at Ryan O'Reilly play and deny he will end up with some Selkes and Cups when his career is over, he just provides too many winning characteristics to not amount into a clutch player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille