Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LV

Status
Not open for further replies.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I had a dream last night that Avs actually won the Cup, we beat Philly in 4 or 5 games.

That would have been a wonderful dream.

I had a dream that I stole a rotisserie chicken. Car chases, chicks, overly dramatic dialogue. It was like a CSI episode.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So here's a question. If Roy and Sakic were so concerned with the backup goaltending position this year and going into next season, that they felt the need to trade a 2nd for Berra, how do they feel about the backup goaltending position now going into next year after Berra has played two absolutely dog crap games?

Do they go out and sign a FA now, which they could have done in the first place?

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
So here's a question. If Roy and Sakic were so concerned with the backup goaltending position this year and going into next season, that they felt the need to trade a 2nd for Berra, how do they feel about the backup goaltending position now going into next year after Berra has played two absolutely dog crap games?

Do they go out and sign a FA now, which they could have done in the first place?

Na, they gotta go with Berra. They have given him a 3 year deal at solid back up money. 1.45M is a lot. If he was on 600-750k or something it would be different. Now, they just gotta go with him.

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham

They'll stand pat. Give Berra an offseason with Allaire and a full season next year :nod: I'd like to think they know what they are doing.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010

Right or wrong they're not going to flinch on it now after giving him that deal.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
As bad as Berra has been in his limited work, he will get an off-season with the Avs and Allaire to get his game together.

He's talented enough to win the 40-45 games Colorado (realistically) needs out of him the next three seasons, but will he be reliable enough to provide consistent relief of Varlamov? Only time will tell.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
The main problem with the Berra acquisition is giving him almost 1.5 mil per year. Gambling a 2nd on a talented goalie isn't really that big a deal since a 2nd round pick is a gamble anyways. But signing him for that much ties our hands since we had all the leverage to sign him for less and if we need to cut our losses he'll be harder to trade/waive/buy out.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
As bad as Berra has been in his limited work, he will get an off-season with the Avs and Allaire to get his game together.

He's talented enough to win the 40-45 games Colorado (realistically) needs out of him the next three seasons, but will he be reliable enough to provide consistent relief of Varlamov? Only time will tell.

I actually thought he might have a solid game against the Sharks after having a couple weeks to really work in practice with Allaire, but he couldn't have had a shakier game. He just looked like Swiss Cheese, and was reacting slower than we've seen Jiggy this year.

I think there should be a lot of concern at this point about what Allaire can and can't do for Berra. He should have been at least a little better his 2nd outing, but somehow he was worse. That contract could end up being a real thorn in the Avs side if he can't figure out a way solidify his game.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I actually thought he might have a solid game against the Sharks after having a couple weeks to really work in practice with Allaire, but he couldn't have had a shakier game. He just looked like Swiss Cheese, and was reacting slower than we've seen Jiggy this year.

I think there should be a lot of concern at this point about what Allaire can and can't do for Berra. He should have been at least a little better, but somehow he was worse. That contract could end up being a real thorn in the Avs side if he can't figure out a way solidify his game.
The swiss goalie looked like a swiss cheese. I feel like that joke is gonna last on this board.

"Oh no. Berra being a cheese today"

"Oh, not another cheese game from Berra"

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I think there should be a lot of concern at this point about what Allaire can and can't do for Berra. That contract could end up being a real thorn in the Avs side if he can't figure out a way solidify his game.

Isn't he taking up around 2% of our total cap? Even less if the cap goes up. It's not a huge concern.

Like I said in the GDT, he played a lot better for the Flames than he has for us in two games. So it's not that he can't play, for some reason he has just struggled. Being thrown into a high pressure situation when you haven't played in a few weeks can't help either.

edit: Someone will probably bring up his numbers with the Flames but trust me, he wasn't that bad. If you have GCL, go watch some of his games with the Flames. He definitely had bad games but he also had some really good ones.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Isn't he taking up around 2% of our total cap? Even less if the cap goes up. It's not a huge concern.

Like I said in the GDT, he played a lot better for the Flames than he has for us in two games. So it's not that he can't play, for some reason he has just struggled. Being thrown into a high pressure situation when you haven't played in a few weeks can't help either.

The problem isn't so much the price, it's that they'll keep him as backup because of his contract. Plus he'll still cost around $500k against the cap if they send him down because of the Wade Redden rule.

This is of course if he can't find a solid game as a backup. Not saying one way or the other if he will, but rather that I think there's definitely cause for concern after his second outing.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The thing I'm holding onto is the fact that Hartley, Allaire, and Roy all thought this guy could be good. He's either gonna prove them right or he's managed to dupe some (IMO) pretty astute hockey minds.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The thing I'm holding onto is the fact that Hartley, Allaire, and Roy all thought this guy could be good. He's either gonna prove them right or he's managed to dupe some (IMO) pretty astute hockey minds.

I think he's got the size, raw tools, and work ethic, that's what they all saw. They're making an educated guess that he can patch the holes in his game given all that. Hopefully he does.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma

I'm actually more interested in how they feel about the forward depth now.
So many players like Goc and Stempniak went for basically nothing which would really help our depth right now with injuries coming left and right.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I think there should be a lot of concern at this point about what Allaire can and can't do for Berra. He should have been at least a little better his 2nd outing, but somehow he was worse. That contract could end up being a real thorn in the Avs side if he can't figure out a way solidify his game.

I get that you've taken the village buzzkill/skeptic/contrarion mantle in AB's absence, but come on now. There is literally no way for this contract to become a "real thorn in the Avs side".

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
The main problem with the Berra acquisition is giving him almost 1.5 mil per year. Gambling a 2nd on a talented goalie isn't really that big a deal since a 2nd round pick is a gamble anyways. But signing him for that much ties our hands since we had all the leverage to sign him for less and if we need to cut our losses he'll be harder to trade/waive/buy out.

Thank God for the compliance buy-out!

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I get that you've taken the village buzzkill/skeptic/contrarion mantle in AB's absence,

Love you too, Buttercup. ;)

but come on now. There is literally no way for this contract to become a "real thorn in the Avs side".

They've certainly created a 'wait til next year' scenario with the backup goaltending. I personally saw no need whatsoever for that trade (2nd round pick, UFA-to-be), as the Avs aren't winning anything on earth if Varlamov goes down. And Berra has most certainly been pretty dreadful.

It's definitely one concern going into next season.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Meh, two starts isn't much to go on. So, I'll wait and see. Now, that said, it was still a stupid trade considering that 2nd round pick could have gone to much better use and the fact we could have made a run at him during the off-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $365.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark