Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
RobinDIF said:
I think he is gone the moment he hits FA. I don't see why Stastny would have such a special relationship with the Avs that no other of the FA's have when they get there.

This is starting to remind me of the Parise situation where the fans tell themselves he wouldn't leave Devils, it's ok, we can talk contract after the season, sure.. Oh he hit FA? Don't worry, we're still in the mix, he just wanna see what else is out there and come back with same demands to the Devils. Etc.

Opening date for Free Agency shall remain status quo (July 1).
Unrestricted Free Agents may meet and interview with potential new Clubs from the day after the
Entry Draft (but not later than June 25) until June 30.
-CBA

What I was saying was that Stastny is going to find out before July 1st what his market value is. The Avs will be able to know before Stastny actually becomes available what his actual market value is. If he hits July 1st, yes he is gauranteed to be gone, because the Avs will already know what he was offered, and won't want to go that high.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
-CBA

What I was saying was that Stastny is going to find out before July 1st what his market value is. The Avs will be able to know before Stastny actually becomes available what his actual market value is. If he hits July 1st, yes he is gauranteed to be gone, because the Avs will already know what he was offered, and won't want to go that high.

I agree with this. The Avs will know his market value at that point, and if he isn't signed it is simply because they didn't want to pay it.

I think we see a deal done between Stastny and the Avs before the draft.

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Unless we go to the SCF, we will have plenty of time to sign everyone. Right now it looks like everything's under control. I hope that doesn't change.

Scratch that. We will have enough time even if we do go all the way

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I agree with this. The Avs will know his market value at that point, and if he isn't signed it is simply because they didn't want to pay it.

I think we see a deal done between Stastny and the Avs before the draft.

If it's not done before the draft, than I'd say it's officially time to worry. Staz is the kind of deal they'd like to get done somewhat early in the offseason, like they always did with Hejduk and Sakic. They may not get it done the day after the season ends, but likely sometime in May.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If it's not done before the draft, than I'd say it's officially time to worry. Staz is the kind of deal they'd like to get done somewhat early in the offseason, like they always did with Hejduk and Sakic. They may not get it done the day after the season ends, but likely sometime in May.

Worry, but don't panic :laugh:

July 1st is when you panic. :nod:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Worry, but don't panic :laugh:

July 1st is when you panic. :nod:

Ehh, I don't know. If they haven't ironed it out by the draft, with other teams waiting in the wings the day after to sell him on their teams/cities, it's pretty close to panic time. As you said, they likely know his final asking price by then, and they've given theirs and are sticking to it.

If he's not signed by the draft, I'd say he's as good as gone.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
#snotalanche

You could change your title from "registered user" to "#ImagineAvs"...

Good call! :laugh:

Ehh, I don't know. If they haven't ironed it out by the draft, with other teams waiting in the wings the day after to sell him on their teams/cities, it's pretty close to panic time. As you said, they likely know his final asking price by then, and they've given theirs and are sticking to it.

If he's not signed by the draft, I'd say he's as good as gone.

Eh... I wouldn't say that. I would say that they haven't agreed and are at least willing to let him see what he can get on the open market and then come back if he wants. If the cap is at $68m vs $71, there will not be many teams that are in as good of position to win and have the cap space to sign him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Eh... I wouldn't say that. I would say that they haven't agreed and are at least willing to let him see what he can get on the open market and then come back if he wants. If the cap is at $68m vs $71, there will not be many teams that are in as good of position to win and have the cap space to sign him.

Yea, but when do you actually see things play out like that? A player test FA, and then resigns with his team after July 1st. Almost never.

If he thinks there's a deal out there that might be worth signing over what the Avs offered him, that's what's going to happen. Especially with the new "meeting period" that starts the day after the draft. They're not allowed to talk numbers, but it's probably a safe bet they find some way to telegraph their offer without actually saying it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yea, but when do you actually see things play out like that? A player test FA, and then resigns with his team after July 1st. Almost never.

If he thinks there's a deal out there that might be worth signing over what the Avs offered him, that's what's going to happen. Especially with the new "meeting period" that starts the day after the draft. They're not allowed to talk numbers, but it's probably a safe bet they find some way to telegraph their offer without actually saying it.

I didn't say after July 1st, with the talking window, if Stastny doesn't sign by July 1st it is really unlikely that he re-signs.

The talking window gives some legitimacy to the process where some good faith negotiating can happen with other teams involved. That did happen before, but now if the player really wants to stay he can say ____ offered me this. Before the player couldn't say that because of tampering, and by July 1st teams had already moved on as the team isn't going to waste prime negotiating time waiting for the player to decide.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I didn't say after July 1st, with the talking window, if Stastny doesn't sign by July 1st it is really unlikely that he re-signs.

The talking window gives some legitimacy to the process where some good faith negotiating can happen with other teams involved. That did happen before, but now if the player really wants to stay he can say ____ offered me this. Before the player couldn't say that because of tampering, and by July 1st teams had already moved on as the team isn't going to waste prime negotiating time waiting for the player to decide.

I guess I'm not clear on what you meant. There's two time periods. The day after the draft teams can talk with UFA's but not about numbers. Then on July 1st they become UFA's. Last year after the shortened season, the talking period started July 1st, and the UFA period July 5th. I'm guessing you're aware of that, but just thought I'd point it out again in case.

I'm thinking they've already made their decision, and he's gone if he's not signed by the draft. I don't see them negotiating on draft day, and if he thinks there's a number out there that's worth listening to rather than taking the Avs final offer that's what he'll find. There surely will be a number at least $500k more than what the Avs offer in FA. If he wants to see if that's out there, that means that's more important than staying in Denver for the price he was offered. The Avs won't budge from their offer, they've already made their last ditch effort before the draft to keep him from being tempted by other teams.

I think the only players you see re-sign after "talking" to other teams will be the lesser players like role players, or defensive defenseman that don't garner as much interest, or as much money as they think. The bigger names will always get offered more in FA. If they want to "wait and see" that means they've already decided. That's why it pretty much always plays out that way. The "talking period" will basically be the same as July 1st that way. It's like going on a date when you're deciding whether to stay with your girlfriend or not.

That's my guess at least. Maybe you're right though and Staz is the exception to that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I guess I'm not clear on what you meant. There's two time periods. The day after the draft teams can talk with UFA's but not about numbers. Then on July 1st they become UFA's. Last year after the shortened season, the talking period started July 1st, and the UFA period July 5th. I'm guessing you're aware of that, but just thought I'd point it out again in case.

I'm thinking they've already made their decision, and he's gone if he's not signed by the draft. I don't see them negotiating on draft day, and if he thinks there's a number out there that's worth listening to rather than taking the Avs final offer that's what he'll find. There surely will be a number at least $500k more than what the Avs offer in FA. If he wants to see if that's out there, that means that's more important than staying in Denver for the price he was offered. The Avs won't budge from their offer, they've already made their last ditch effort before the draft to keep him from being tempted by other teams.

I think the only players you see re-sign after "talking" to other teams will be the lesser players like role players, or defensive defenseman that don't garner as much interest, or as much money as they think. The bigger names will always get offered more in FA. If they want to "wait and see" that means they've already decided. That's why it pretty much always plays out that way.

That's my guess at least. Maybe you're right though and Staz is the exception to that.

I think the Avs last ditch effort (if he isn't already signed) will be on June 30th, not before the draft. That is our difference.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

Im curious. Where does it say that they cannot discuss numbers during that week?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Im curious. Where does it say that they cannot discuss numbers during that week?

They can't "negotiate." They can only talk, and express interest basically. Sell them on the team and city. There was a lot of grey area in terms of what constituted making an offer. It's expected they'll have clearer, and probably stricter guidelines for this year.

"The 48-hour interview period was a new wrinkle in this year’s free-agency frenzy. And perhaps not surprisingly, it arrived with a good deal of confusion.

In fact, partway through last week’s two-day tire-kicking window, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly was forced to send out a memo to all 30 clubs reminding them that no offers could be made to free agents before July 5.
"

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...s-for-next-years-free-agent-interview-period/

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Hard numbers cannot technically be discussed, but nothing states you cannot use comparisons (yet). The idea is that a team can figure out if a player is willing to play for a team and estimate what it would take to sign them .

That said, hardly any team will play by the rules, and those that don't will get away with it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Hard numbers cannot technically be discussed, but nothing states you cannot use comparisons (yet). The idea is that a team can figure out if a player is willing to play for a team and estimate what it would take to sign them .

That said, hardly any team will play by the rules, and those that don't will get away with it.

Exactly, they'll find a loophole and get creative. Players and teams will know exactly where each other stand.

Unless they make it very clear cut, and warn about some very strict consequences if anyone breaks it. This won't apply in New jersey though.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
They can't "negotiate." They can only talk, and express interest basically. Sell them on the team and city. There was a lot of grey area in terms of what constituted making an offer. It's expected they'll have clearer, and probably stricter guidelines for this year.

"The 48-hour interview period was a new wrinkle in this year’s free-agency frenzy. And perhaps not surprisingly, it arrived with a good deal of confusion.

In fact, partway through last week’s two-day tire-kicking window, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly was forced to send out a memo to all 30 clubs reminding them that no offers could be made to free agents before July 5.
"

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...s-for-next-years-free-agent-interview-period/

Cool. Thanks.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Good thing we traded a 2nd for a goaltender, only to see a healthy Jiggy come out and play a great game, and then Stastny and PA get hurt, and Bordy leaving for the locker room every other shift.

They gonna refuse to call anyone up again and go with 9 forwards next game?

I love Roy, but seriously what the hell is he doing with the forwards? If you don't want to pay a cheap price of a 3rd and a 5th for Goc, at least claim someone on waivers, or send a 6th for a pending UFA 4th liner on a non playoff team. He clearly doesn't trust anyone in LE.

Now the team's exhausted playing down two men for an entire game. That only leads to trouble and more potential injuries.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Depends on what player we're talking about. It's pretty obvious a guy like Goc would make the 3rd line much better. The call ups might not even be NHL players, at best they're 4th liners.

They didn't know Stastny and PAP would go down though and the McGinn-Mitchell-Talbot line was playing well. I think they should have tried to improve the team anyways but it's hard to blame them too much right now. The forward depth was pretty good. If you trade for Goc/Stempniak at the deadline when everyone is healthy, then you're bumping Mitchell/Talbot down to the 4th line and Roy was never going to do that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Depends on what player we're talking about. It's pretty obvious a guy like Goc would make the 3rd line much better. The call ups might not even be NHL players, at best they're 4th liners.

They didn't know Stastny and PAP would go down though and the McGinn-Mitchell-Talbot line was playing well. I think they should have tried to improve the team anyways but it's hard to blame them too much right now. The forward depth was pretty good. If you trade for Goc/Stempniak at the deadline when everyone is healthy, then you're bumping Mitchell/Talbot down to the 4th line and Roy was never going to do that.

This. Hindsight is always 20/20 for a reason. Let's give Malone and Carey a chance to fill in and hopefully Mitchell and Cliche can step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad