Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnipShow

Mar 12, 2009
U.S.A.
Rumor is Kevin Hayes will not sign with the Hawks. It would be great to see the new AVS regime land a big name college free agent.

It's exciting that the AVS will be one one those teams that could land a big name college or unrestricted free agent in the near future.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
With John Mitchell probably going to miss a decent chunk of time, they should look at signing Kevin Hayes. The guy seems NHL ready and putting him into the third line center shouldn't be too overwhelming. Throw Talbot and someone else on that line and that makes a solid top 9.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
With John Mitchell probably going to miss a decent chunk of time, they should look at signing Kevin Hayes. The guy seems NHL ready and putting him into the third line center shouldn't be too overwhelming. Throw Talbot and someone else on that line and that makes a solid top 9.

I do not think NCAA free agents are eligible to play in the playoffs, since they were not on the teams roster reserve list, which can include AHL players under contract, submitted to the league just after the trade deadline.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

Can't sign until like August 15th or something, I believe.

Plus I doubt he would want to play with the Avalanche. Not a ton of room for him to move up the roster.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Hayes won't sign with Chicago and I would be incredibly surprised if he would even consider Colorado. I expect he will be traded for a pick so he can be signed by a team going into the summer.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
How about Penner? I think he could bring some good things to our 3rd line. Also he's pretty darn good in the playoffs.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Toronto media being very hard on McClement for the season he just had. Maybe he'll realize playing at home in Toronto isn't quite what it's cracked up to be. He should come back to the Avs where no one will bother him and he'll still get minutes on the top PK unit with Talbot.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Toronto media being very hard on McClement for the season he just had. Maybe he'll realize playing at home in Toronto isn't quite what it's cracked up to be. He should come back to the Avs where no one will bother him and he'll still get minutes on the top PK unit with Talbot.

We could play Holden and Elliott behind McClement and Talbot and still have a dominant PK unit. That would be awesome.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
Don't think we'll sign him having sign Cliche. I think we can only upgrade our forward lines if PAP is traded or Staz walk away. I'd rather see we sign one or two veteran d-man for Benoit and Sarich. Would love Orpik and Niskanen, they are upgrade over Benoit and Sarich for sure.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Don't think we'll sign him having sign Cliche. I think we can only upgrade our forward lines if PAP is traded or Staz walk away. I'd rather see we sign one or two veteran d-man for Benoit and Sarich. Would love Orpik and Niskanen, they are upgrade over Benoit and Sarich for sure.
And an expensive upgrade...you're looking at 8-11 million for the two of them.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Holy **** snacks. MacDonald for 6 years, 5 million. Blah. And I laugh because the Flyers have basically spent damn near the cap already for next year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Niskanen is a RD that is less effective at LD. He might be a slight upgrade on Barrie, but Barrie has more potential and should be playing the middle pairing RD role... the $5+m to sign Niskanen could be better used elsewhere.

An Orpik type would be great to pair with Barrie for a few years until somebody from the prospect pool is ready to take that spot. He is showing signs of slowing down, but should still be a decent top 4 option for ~3 more years.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Holy **** snacks. MacDonald for 6 years, 5 million. Blah. And I laugh because the Flyers have basically spent damn near the cap already for next year.

A little long IMO... It would be easier to swallow if it was for only 4 years, but if MacDonald plays as a solid #3 there he will be worth that much with the cap going up. Time to see if he really is that level of defender.

Huis Clos*

A $5 million cap hit for a second pairing defender isn't outlandish at all. MacDonald would have gotten the same if not more on the open market. The length may be a tad long but the guy is only 27. The only reason people are complaining is because it's the Flyers and people love to pile on.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
A little long IMO... It would be easier to swallow if it was for only 4 years, but if MacDonald plays as a solid #3 there he will be worth that much with the cap going up. Time to see if he really is that level of defender.

I think 4x4 is the most I would go. Everyone is really banking on the idea that he will look better playing a middle pairing role at 20 minutes rather than a top pairing role at 26 minutes. But now he is being payed as if he is that top pairing guy, and will probably take over the top assuming Timonen is done. I don't think he is that kind of player.

Plus the Flyers are really banking on the idea the cap will really be 71. If it misses badly, they may end up screwed.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think 4x4 is the most I would go. Everyone is really banking on the idea that he will look better playing a middle pairing role at 20 minutes rather than a top pairing role at 26 minutes. But now he is being payed as if he is that top pairing guy, and will probably take over the top assuming Timonen is done. I don't think he is that kind of player.

Plus the Flyers are really banking on the idea the cap will really be 71. If it misses badly, they may end up screwed.

From the Philly games I have seen since he got there (only 4) MacDonald has actually looked really good there. His minutes have gone down to ~22 there. $5m for a 22 minute defensemen is actually pretty good. They won't regret it at all if he keeps his play up. It makes me wonder though who is the odd man out... Grossmann probably?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The McDonald signing makes it seem like either Timonen isn't returning there (possibly retiring, who knows) or they're going to have to deal a defenseman, like Grossman.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Pretty funny that the Avs highest paid defenceman makes 3.75 million. Grossman and Schenn pretty much make that amount, and then Coburn, Streit, and Timonen all make more. Next season will be the same, but instead of Timonen it will be McDonald.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The McDonald signing makes it seem like either Timonen isn't returning there (possibly retiring, who knows) or they're going to have to deal a defenseman, like Grossman.

IMO it is either Grossman or Schenn that gets dealt out... their cap hits are going to be too high for a team bumping up against the cap and what they provide. Which ever one stays, will probably play a middle pairing role (or possibly Gustafsson if Schenn is the one that stays).

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
No, not really. He'll have the 25th highest cap hit among defensemen next year.

http://capgeek.com/leaders/?season=2014&type=CAP_HIT&position=D&limit=50

I think you just proved the point. 25th in the league is paying him like he's top pairing. There are 60 defensemen on the top pair of their team in the league. If he's 25th, he's getting paid as if he were a top pairing defenseman.

I personally don't think it's a terrible deal although I'm much happier not signing FA's for prices like that and building from within or finding gems in the FA market. Time will tell on the deal but for the next couple years, he's overpaid.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Avs should try desperately to get Alzner out of Washington. Would be a great fit for this team.

Obviously I highly doubt Washington would be willing to move him. Especially at that ridiculously cheap contract he signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad